Why become a member? ×

I wish he'd stop...

TheGreek

1 hour ago, NikNik said:

If he's game enough to post videos on YT, he's no different than the millions of YT accounts that post vids and either get an approval or get ripped.  If Mods/Admins disallow MDP's vids, disallow all YT vids.

+1

Some BCers might remember the thread on Davie504 where he got slated and called everything under the sun by some forumites and that guy can actually play! Where was the Basschat defence squad then to save poor doe-eyed Davie?

1 hour ago, NikNik said:

Here we go again.

I like that MDP tinkers electrically: the bridge and nut hack-jobs, not so.

If he's game enough to post videos on YT, he's no different than the millions of YT accounts that post vids and either get an approval or get ripped.  If Mods/Admins disallow MDP's vids, disallow all YT vids.

I'm not really bothered about his Arthur Daley-style Ebay descriptions. What does bother me is his attempts at renaming guitars PCCC; of saying he created a coil-split circuit; of his history of portraying himself as a guitar builder. For those,  he deserves to be called out on.

The performances are just harmless eccentricity. 

Bodging Instruments and adding a premium is a poor show, though. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

+1

Some BCers might remember the thread on Davie504 where he got slated and called everything under the sun by some forumites and that guy can actually play! Where was the Basschat defence squad then to save poor doe-eyed Davie?

I've defended Mr 504 - he's pretty bloody good, and is making a decent living at it too. That's more than you can say for a significant proportion of the forum (myself included)

I guess there is something in the 'don't give him the oxygen of publicity' arguement  but I have to admit when I see his latest creation it's usually so bad I have to comment: maybe this is all part of his cunning sales strategy and gives him a USP?

In 20 years there may be no new basses made due to climate change restrictions and him making things from unrelated bits  will then be hailed as 'ahead of his time'?

Best hunt out the felt tip pen.....

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 2

I think anything put out into the public domain is in play as far as 'critique' is concerned, tbh.  Whether or not he deserves some of the harsh words or not is totally subjective but if he doesn't like it he shouldn't publish it/try to sell it.

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 1

My experience of him via eBay was interesting. He asked a question about a bass neck I had listed. He stated that he was asking because he had experience of being ripped off by dubious sellers. 

I’m sure Mr P has replied to previous threads commenting on his work. And from memory he held his own, and stood up for himself. 

My concern with Mr Phillips' instrument is that it is possible that beginners are likely to buy one of his creations thinking that they are playable, VFM instruments.

Now I have no experience of playing his instruments but I believe that there is a consensus of concern, based on what we can see, about the usability of these.

I've no idea of his motivation for turning out poorly constructed instruments - if he has any talent as a luthier he should be producing items of a much higher quality. I don't think I've seen any of his work which constitutes an improvement over what came out of the factory.

He may make a few bob from churning these out and selling them to inexperienced players but in doing so he may also be crushing the dreams of those new players (many of who can barely afford their first instrument) who, finding them unplayable, think that it isn't the instrument, it's their lack of talent/ability and give up. 

If he is offended by comments on forums such as ours he has a number of options, including upping his game and producing usable instruments and giving up making these atrocities.

He is accountable for what he's doing, I believe we are well within our rights to hold him, and anybody else producing poorly constructed instruments, to account.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

On 08/10/2019 at 21:53, yorks5stringer said:

Seen where he's burned the wood on the edge of the neck with his router, good god he has a router?  It must be one of those roasted necks everyone is talking about...?

image.png.e28c3da65a2fe1b52c481b50b3ee9072.png

That's a Dremel burn, I'd wager.

Now buying unbranded aftermarket Chinese necks and applying his moniker. Methinks it won't be long before he susses out that he can get that PCGC cow poop made out on decals.......🤨

Bass neck

I just looked at that ad again. The title is misleading: 'by PCGC' implies that he has made this neck from scratch. 

Edited by NikNik

On 14/10/2019 at 19:20, Beedster said:

He's not mugging anyone, I remember the previous thread people saying "he's ripping off the kids". Seriously? I'm not suggesting he's a world leading luthier by any means, but we've been here so many times, I'm just suggesting that folks move on and find something more interesting to discuss, Coleen Rooney and Rebecca Varney for instance :)

is it just me here that really does not give a t0ss what they are arguing about? First world problem.  I honestly don't know why anyone gives them oxygen

** "of publicity" of course. I'm not suggested  their lives are a bit empty at all... 

10 hours ago, NikNik said:

Now buying unbranded aftermarket Chinese necks and applying his moniker. Methinks it won't be long before he susses out that he can get that PCGC cow poop made out on decals.......🤨

Bass neck

I just looked at that ad again. The title is misleading: 'by PCGC' implies that he has made this neck from scratch. 

He's made a £50 neck almost worthless with his tinkering, not only is his hand-drawn logo crude and amateurish, he's put an angle on the headstock face: why?

Still at least if he's on his jollies in Cornwall's as he claims,  the flow of his frankenbasses is temporarily halted. Doubtless eBay will go bust....

3 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

He's made a £50 neck almost worthless with his tinkering, not only is his hand-drawn logo crude and amateurish, he's put an angle on the headstock face: why?

Still at least if he's on his jollies in Cornwall's as he claims,  the flow of his frankenbasses is temporarily halted. Doubtless eBay will go bust....

Temporarily.....but wait!

'....so it seems best to see if someone else wants it for their project and I will make another one when we get home.'

There's that implication again: that he 'makes' things. A neck, this time. Slowly winging his way back to being the 'guitar builder' that he promoted himself as in the recent past.