Why become a member? ×

I wish he'd stop...

TheGreek

Just now, NikNik said:

Oh, come on, man!! 

I think an impartial look at this thread would suggest I have a point. I'm not defending his work, just his right to do what he does until a legitimate complaint to eBay or TS helps him see the error of his ways, prompts him to take a luthiery course, and become a leading if somewhat unexpected light of the UK guitar building industry. Until then, this thread feels like a feeding frenzy to me. If it was the first, I'd have commented and let it go, but there have been too many about this guy over the years, and I don't think it's the right way to do things on a community forum like this. 

Just now, Beedster said:

I think an impartial look at this thread would suggest I have a point. I'm not defending his work, just his right to do what he does until a legitimate complaint to eBay or TS helps him see the error of his ways, prompts him to take a luthiery course, and become a leading if somewhat unexpected light of the UK guitar building industry. Until then, this thread feels like a feeding frenzy to me. If it was the first, I'd have commented and let it go, but there have been too many about this guy over the years, and I don't think it's the right way to do things on a community forum like this. 

Beedster....he's been told to take up instruction on woodwork/guitar repairs on other fora but he hasn't. That much is clear in his handiwork. 

I can see your point about these recurring threads but they recur for a reason. And until he either goes and learns how to repair guitars in even a semi-professional manner, he deserves to be called out. That, Beeds, is not bullying. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Beedster....he's been told to take up instruction on woodwork/guitar repairs on other fora but he hasn't. That much is clear in his handiwork. 

I can see your point about these recurring threads but they recur for a reason. And until he either goes and learns how to repair guitars in even a semi-professional manner, he deserves to be called out. That, Beeds, is not bullying. 

I know, but there might be very good reasons why he's unable to take advice (check out my earlier post). There's been far worse examples of dodgy dealings in this space; luthiers who've taken huge amounts of money for instruments that never materialised or were entirely substandard (and I'm talking 4-figure sums), guys who've deliberately sold fakes, eBay and BC sellers who've done a runner with the money etc. OK, some of them got caught, some of them didn't, and forums like this helped the buyers. fair enough. So, if the genuine intention of this thread is to stop him doing what he does, I would agree. But given how many previous similar threads there have been, it's pretty clearly not going to work. And if that isn't the genuine intention, I just don't see the point, unless it's an expression of some of the less attractive aspects of human nature, hence my post about bullying.

As a human being, he might be any of a number of things; a misguided oddity or a cynical exploiter of other people's naivety. I have my suspicions hence my posting to object to the thread. I might be wrong, but a false positive in this context does no harm really. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Beedster said:

If it was the first, I'd have commented and let it go, but there have been too many about this guy over the years,

There are regular threads about his eBay listings because he consistently lists some of the crudest instruments you will ever see. That is the causal link here, not any sort of "feeding frenzy" as you put it. You're viewing this through a lens that people want to bully him which isn't true, we like laughing at badly bodged basses on eBay and this was the case before MDP picked up his angle grinder and feverently set about a plastic nut. It's done with other sellers too like the mad German guy who's listings get flagged and ripped to shreds due to how terrible they are. I don't see anybody leaping to his defences though, at least be consistent.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Meddle said:

Any reason you have such a weirdly massive horse in this race? Preserve your mad high-school debating team skills for things that actually matter, not trying to fathom out why some nutter with a Dremel tool and a vastly inflated sense of self worth has spookily good EBay feedback! 

He's just a troll who likes an argument, as previously admitted.

As to MDP - people have tried to offer genuine advice, he doesn't take it well. The guy is clearly not the full ticket.

16 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

He's just a troll who likes an argument, as previously admitted.

As to MDP - people have tried to offer genuine advice, he doesn't take it well. The guy is clearly not the full ticket.

That is debatable. He operates power tools and rides a motorbike with a side-car. 

However, he is driven by a desire to leave his mark on gear he buys and sells on. There's nothing wrong with that; I wholeheartedly applaud people who wish to do so! But MDP has been in the bodge game for at least six years and he has not progressed; if anything, he's regressed, if that was ever possible. The recent 'PCGC' pish that he's writing on headstocks in Sharpie and Biro could indicate someone who is not the full shilling but when one reads his snake-oil nonsense, you must come to the conclusion that he knows exactly what he's doing!

He was on here earlier on. Why does he not step forward?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meddle said:

Any reason you have such a weirdly massive horse in this race? Preserve your mad high-school debating team skills for things that actually matter, not trying to fathom out why some nutter with a Dremel tool and a vastly inflated sense of self worth has spookily good EBay feedback! 

I don't have any horse in this race, I've simply shared some further information which offers a different perspective. I've not even offered an opinion on what he's doing. 

Its pretty weird that you seem to have taken my sharing of this information so badly. It's also odd that, on a forum designed to encourage debate,  doing so is annoying to you. 

That's twice you've been snarky towards me yet I'm the high school debater? Righto champ. 

2 hours ago, BreadBin said:

The guy is clearly not the full ticket.

Which has largely been my point all along. Plenty of guys are the full ticket, and still rip people off deliberately. He is not, and I doubt he does. So on this point I completely agree. 

2 minutes ago, Meddle said:

You remind me of my mate's girlfriend. She came from a fairly rough background, but wound up getting a PhD from a good university. Now you out to the pub with that pair and there is no topic too trivial or banal for her to try and spin into some sort of ever-wrangling, brain-spraining attempt at a debate. Massively tedious stuff. "Well I suppose that is one way of looking at it... but..." 

I get it. You can think long and hard about something. Give yourself a cookie. 

So it’s better to think too little than too much?

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Meddle said:

You remind me of my mate's girlfriend. She came from a fairly rough background, but wound up getting a PhD from a good university. Now you out to the pub with that pair and there is no topic too trivial or banal for her to try and spin into some sort of ever-wrangling, brain-spraining attempt at a debate. Massively tedious stuff. "Well I suppose that is one way of looking at it... but..." 

I get it. You can think long and hard about something. Give yourself a cookie. 

I suppose that's a compliment. Although, again I can't help but detect a note of snark. 

Look, this thread was 8 pages long before I made a very simple comment in response to a couple of points. A debate was already well under way by the time I contributed and since then, all I've done is reiterate my point, which is very simple and requires very little thought

Just now, Meddle said:

Not the point I'm making at all. 

If you and DoubleOhStephen want to be professional contrarians then so be it. It doesn't make you look like some vast intellectual heavyweight at the end of the day. 

Where have I been contrary? 

4 hours ago, NikNik said:

Huge Hands!

You called?

I would like to point out that I am definitely not the subject tinkerer of this thread.

I did defend him earlier in the thread as I thought people being snidey about his level of actual playing went too far as there are all levels of ability in this forum. However, I have no issue with his level of dodgy bodging being highlighted to protect others.

Interestingly I would be interested in a guitar with wide spacing as I have tried to play guitar before but struggled due to the size of my banana fingers. I think I'll pass on this gentleman's products though....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

You called?

I would like to point out that I am definitely not the subject tinkerer of this thread.

I did defend him earlier in the thread as I thought people being snidey about his level of actual playing went too far as there are all levels of ability in this forum. However, I have no issue with his level of dodgy bodging being highlighted to protect others.

Interestingly I would be interested in a guitar with wide spacing as I have tried to play guitar before but struggled due to the size of my banana fingers. I think I'll pass on this gentleman's products though....

Fair enough.

Tried Warmoth? You can 'build' your own neck. Of course, you'd need to get a body with the neck pocket routed out for it but these items are in no way as prohibitively expensive as they used to be.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

We can agree to disagree, but I posted his feedback score in response to a couple of comments related to feeling sorry for his customers, but as his feedback shows, his customers are overwhelmingly happy with the product he's supplied. 

Since then, his feedback score has been dismissed as being from people who don't know any better, beginners, that it's been curated by friends (faked) or from his wife (also faked) or just not interesting. So, which of those are logical assumptions, or is it only your assumption which is logical? 

What I think is irrelevant to the point I'm making, which is actual real customers who've bought his products aren't unhappy with them.

Which to be fair, is your assumption. :scratch_one-s_head:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beedster said:

Which has largely been my point all along. Plenty of guys are the full ticket, and still rip people off deliberately. He is not, and I doubt he does. So on this point I completely agree. 

You've flippantly said this numerous times now and are alluding to people on here bullying a vulnerable person. Are you backing this up at all? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

If your idea of trolling is sharing information relevant to the conversation, then I guess I'm guilty 🙄

A - We already knew he had good feedback before you came on here, in fact most likely before you joined the forum. It's been be mentioned before.

B - The information you shared was incorrect as not all of his customers are happy, I've twice quoted the buyer who reinforces the opinions here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Which to be fair, is your assumption. :scratch_one-s_head:

Well, I suppose so, but I wouldn't really expect a load of Russian bots (or his friends/family/stooges) to be leaving fake feedback. The logical assumption is that, as eBay feedback is requested following transactions, it is from people who have transacted 🤷🏻‍♂️

22 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

A - We already knew he had good feedback before you came on here, in fact most likely before you joined the forum. It's been be mentioned before.

Is every comment made on this thread completely unique? 

25 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

B - The information you shared was incorrect as not all of his customers are happy, I've twice quoted the buyer who reinforces the opinions here.

The information I shared showed he had 100% positive feedback, which he does. The ONE comment out of 165 you've highlighted does indeed say it is poor workmanship, it also says he liked the concept, which is why I expect the feedback he left was positive. 

• Haha 1