Why become a member? ×

I wish he'd stop...

TheGreek

You lot got nothing better to do than pick on this guy? There's more than one of you posted on BC re mental health problems in the past, need I go further? Go play your basses or find someone else to gang up on, this is just boring and sad, and really does not reflect well on BC as a community. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Beedster said:

You lot got nothing better to do than pick on this guy? There's more than one of you posted on BC re mental health problems in the past, need I go further? Go play your basses or find someone else to gang up on, this is just boring and sad, and really does not reflect well on BC as a community. 

No let's pick on the opinion police who clearly live in perfect worlds. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

No let's pick on the opinion police who clearly live in perfect worlds. 

I live far from it, but there nothing wrong with aspiring to perfection 

Edited by Beedster
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Nobody is 'picking' on Mark D Phillips. If anyone appears to  be 'picking' on Mark D Phillips, it is because he promotes himself as one of that rare cadre of people known as 'we who build guitars', yet he is nothing more than a hack, a bodger who has persisted in spraying his hack-jobs and snake-oil across instrument fora for at least six years. And in that period, Mark D Phillips has learned sweet flip all! Ok, he managed to do some OTT cavity screening and claimed to have invented a coil-split circuit!

I will not apologise for ripping MarK D Phillips to shreds, for he deserves every criticism that is levelled against him!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Beedster said:

🤫

5 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Nobody is 'picking' on Mark D Phillips. If anyone appears to  be 'picking' on Mark D Phillips, it is because he promotes himself as one of that rare cadre of people known as 'we who build guitars', yet he is nothing more than a hack, a bodger who has persisted in spraying his hack-jobs and snake-oil across instrument fora for at least six years. And in that period, Mark D Phillips has learned sweet flip all! Ok, he managed to do some OTT cavity screening and claimed to have invented a coil-split circuit!

I will not apologise for ripping MarK D Phillips to shreds, for he deserves every criticism that is levelled against him!

Yawn

54 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Agreed.

If I saw this thread and I wasn't a member, I'd not join the forum.

As it is it makes me wonder if I want to be associated with a place where such playground behaviour is tolerated, so if you don't see me around for a while....well, you know why I've gone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, ahpook said:

Agreed.

If I saw this thread and I wasn't a member, I'd not join the forum.

As it is it makes me wonder if I want to be associated with a place where such playground behaviour is tolerated, so if you don't see me around for a while....well, you know why I've gone.

Why whine about it?  You, by your very comment, come across as a whining schoolchild.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Picking on him? Are you backing this up with quotes or just wading in oblivious to the thread contents? Because if you go back a page you can see the only post which could be construed as "picking on" him and that was pulled up by everybody else pretty sharpish. Unless you class pointing out atrocious workmanship by a guy with a company name who sells musical instruments for a profit as bullying, in which case I do hope you apply the same rules elsewhere on the forum. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mentalextra said:

He runs a business on Ebay, he expects people to pay for his work?. I feel sorry for his customers?

44 minutes ago, prowla said:

I do too.

Great thing about ebay is every customer gets to give an honest report on the item they've bought and it's there for everyone to see.

Probably worth having a look at his, as all of his customers seem happy 🤷🏻‍♂️

Screenshot_20191031_072015_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

29 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

Great thing about ebay is every customer gets to give an honest report on the item they've bought and it's there for everyone to see.

Do they know what they are buying, emporers clothes springs to mind? And what instruments that he has 'improved ' would you be happy to buy? I don't get the mental health angle? He runs a business, it's not a charity. He's not doing us any favours. I think his work should scrutinised in the same way any luthier could be on this forum?

Edited by mentalextra
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

All of his customers?
"I like concept but...workmanship quality horrible shocking ! Rework required ."

42 minutes ago, Meddle said:

Beginners are going to cast the least critical eye over what he is selling, and fall for the descriptions.

Exactly. He is attempting to charge people who know little good money for his hack work. Why should we not call him out? A lot of beginners are members on here and if we can prevent any of them from being conned by this man and his ilk, I say that's a good thing. I don't care whether he has mental health issues or not. That's no excuse for ripping people off. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Meddle said:

Beginners are going to cast the least critical eye over what he is selling, and fall for the descriptions.

+1

In fact the only people who are going to read his descriptions and think they are anything other than pseudo-tech guff written by someone who really doesn't know what he is doing are total novices, probably the exact type of player who thinks it's the size of their fingers which is stopping them from fretting chords and not their technique.

A lot of people don't even know guitars can be setup easily, they just think that some play terribly and some are decent. When MDP writes about how it has taken a number of days to get string height down (seriously, he actually says that) the buyer is going to think it has been influenced by some magical guitar builders's touch that they can't get anywhere else abd takes days of work, MDP even disparages guitar shop setups in his listings to reinforce this.

Here's a really good way to figure out whether you should be defending him or not - imagine you have a friend who is wanting to learn guitar/bass after trying and failing previously. They send you a message with a link to one of his listings, could be the hacked together Legacy/Grabber copy bass, could be a 12>6 string acoustic conversion which rattles like hell due to the nut slots being cut too low, could be one of his basses which has electrical hum every time he takes his hands off the strings. Any one of his listings. The price is £350 and your friend thinks it would be ideal for them as he sounds trustworthy, has good feedback and talks about how much work he has put in to getting it playing well.

What is your reply?

• Like 3

As others have said the people who are likely to buy his guitars are beginners and haven't a clue about buying an instrument and very unlikely to be on this forum, his excellent feedback would be enough for most, trouble is, by the time people have realised they've bought a pig in a poke (if they ever do) the positive feedback has already been left.

So while slagging him off on here may be entertaining for some it's highly unlikely to achieve anything

Edited by PaulWarning

I've seen an eBay seller of sports equipment with loads of good feedback and just one negative "don't buy its a fake". Sure enough I bought something cheaper than market price and it was a... Fake! Basic wood sprayed with the factory stencils to look like the real deal carbon fibre item. So lots of people put there looking for a bargain really don't know what they're looking at once it's in their hands!! 

4 hours ago, mentalextra said:

Do they know what they are buying, emporers clothes springs to mind?

He's had 164 sales in the past 12 months. I presume at least some of them would be buying from an informed position. 

And what instruments that he has 'improved ' would you be happy to buy?

I'm not interested in buying anything he has for sale, and that doesn't change the fact that he has 100% positive feedback. 

I don't get the mental health angle?

I haven't mentioned anything about mental health. 

He runs a business, it's not a charity.

With 164 happy customers in the last 12 months. 

He's not doing us any favours.

I don't understand how this effects you or anyone else on this forum unless they've bought something from him and are unhappy. 

I think his work should scrutinised in the same way any luthier could be on this forum?

I agree. I also think the opinion of how actual customers is just as, if not more, valid and should be taken into account. I appreciate it doesn't suit the general tone of this thread, but that doesn't change the facts.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

All of his customers?
"I like concept but...workmanship quality horrible shocking ! Rework required ."

I've not made any comment on the quality of his workmanship, I've simply shared his 100% positive feedback score. Clearly, this customer should have left negative feedback, I don't know why they haven't.