Why become a member? ×

I wish he'd stop...

TheGreek

2 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

He could buy a piece of bone for £1.00,  cut and shape around 3 nuts from it and gain some respect too.....! Doubtless there would be paragraphs of hyperbole in his descriptions thereafter however.

You say he could do those things but look again at the scratchplate on the previous page. Could he? Really?

Back for a bit.

Was looking at the stuff on 7String and TheFretboard earlier on where he'd attracted a bit of attention. Some of his flip-ups from back then I can recall but what's important to note is that these episodes were 5, 6 years ago. The man has not improved, skill-wise, in that period up to today. Other than inventing the coil-split circuit....🤨

Somewhere it was mentioned he'd had a hang-gliding accident, which may explain a lot and give us some perspective?

Fun Fact: we have some of the same  white rubber table protector he uses, only we bought it to protect our dining table from scratches.

Edited by yorks5stringer

13 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Somewhere it was mentioned he'd had a hang-gliding accident, which may explain a lot and give us some perspective?

Fun Fact: we have some of the same  white rubber table protector he uses, only we bought it to protect our dining table from scratches.

Yes, I've heard of the 'hang-gliding' accident and the 'thumped by a lorry' claim. Whatever their veracity, it's my opinion that this fella has more than enough faculties and understands exactly what he's doing. Also, there is evidence of power tools in that garage and anyone of diminished responsibility would not be allowed to have them around.

This guy knows exactly what he's doing but it's maybe his perception of his 'conversions' that's the focus here: he sees nothing wrong with these conversions/bodges he's punting and that would be fair enough if he just advertised them as the bodges they are and at a price that reflects the magnitude of the bodge(s). Instead, we have the snake-oil sales pitching and the ongoing (although now less frequent than of yore) portrayal of himself as a 'Guitar Builder', the latter claim now being augmented by the child-like application of lettering to the headstocks of guitar necks.

I don't wish the man any ill-will or wish to be seen to take the fosters but until he calls a bodge a bodge, quits the sales-flummery and puts some perspective into his own 'work', he roundly deserves to be called out.

Edited by NikNik
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

You do guitar conversions on your dining table?

Usually between the Amuse-bouche and the  Hors d'oeuvre as there's often a lot of dead time between the courses. Only yesterday I converted a guitar I rescued from a skip into an instrument suitable for all hand sizes with its 'gnats chuff' action and  smooth frets. Whilst the sound of my Dremel did  admittedly cut across the friendly conversations between Boris and Stephen (who were dining with me), I was bored stupid with their exhortations of 'man up'. Later, we all went out for a walk as Boris was interested in looking into ditches.

Mods. the Boris and Stephen who were my house-guests were from our local skittles club, often come for tea on a Saturday night and are not the Boris and Stephen you may think.

Fun fact: my surname is Barclay

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, mentalextra said:

I don't know what's wrong with you guys, it's obviously liquorice!

Have none of you noticed that using the 12string saddle as a six string give that unique string spacing for players with hands like gorillas?

Surpised Damon Albarn has not snapped it up then...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

I think it's fine to call out his shonky 'conversions', and his creative descriptions.......maybe not so cool to wish him severely injured or worse 😉?

I think it was flipperant, as opposed to actually wishing him harm!

Yes, this thread needs to be continually populated. The only other site that mentions our intrepid 'luthier' recently was MyLesPaul, and that was three years back.

Now here's a prime example of his BS, with him implying that he builds instruments: a 'hand constructed custom by PCGC'. It's anything but! He's been called out on this so many times yet he persists. This following sentence from that listing is rather telling:-

'After the sign-writing I sprayed the head and fretboard several times with matt varnish; I used oil and beeswax for the back of the neck as I like the feel of that finish better'

So, no mention of the use of an aftermarket neck, which that neck undoubtedly is. No, just more snake-oil blurb. 'Sign-writing'? Don't give up your day job, as they say, Mark! And leave your poor kids out of it, FFS!

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

'The difference between a strat and a telestrat is more emotional than actual yet people do find that one gives them something that the other doesn't.'

The opportunity to write more B.S. perhaps......?

Hyper-cow poop, bordering on slavering.

8 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

'The difference between a strat and a telestrat is more emotional than actual yet people do find that one gives them something that the other doesn't.'

The opportunity to write more B.S. perhaps......?

That difference being an awful stabbing pain in your fingers as the poorly dressed frets tear the flesh from them...

13 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

That difference being an awful stabbing pain in your fingers as the poorly dressed frets tear the flesh from them...

Here's an example of his fret dressing ability:
s-l1600.jpg

Done with an angle grinder? This is the one with a borked neck and a mangled bridge where the slots are cut right down into the actual wood baseplate... Nothing more than firewood.

4 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Here's an example of his fret dressing ability:
s-l1600.jpg

Done with an angle grinder? This is the one with a borked neck and a mangled bridge where the slots are cut right down into the actual wood baseplate... Nothing more than firewood.

He's doing fretwork now? Surely effing not! Look at the tram-tracks on that fret! It would be worth buying it as a conversation piece, were it not so overpriced!

Additionally, if you supersize that image you'll see top of the binding has been filed roughly, and flattened. Why, only MDP knows!

Edited by NikNik

The 2nd fret looks practically non-existent, when you look at the guitar and read the description you realise it either has a shot truss rod or never had one in the first place and that the neck is completely shafted. In order to get the action down at the bridge he's had to cut channels into the wooden baseplate so the strings can get low enough, he even says it's borderline unplayable in the description but apparently is great for learners even though it doesn't play past the 5th fret. It's an ornament for hanging on a pub wall, you can buy it for £87.50 delivered though because why buy a functional starter acoustic for less when you could have this junk?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acoustic-students-guitar-old-Japanese-model/192961101514?hash=item2ced60beca:g:FzYAAOSwPMpdEOwd

A couple of weeks ago a mate of mine bought a Squier Affinity 20th Anniversary Strat on eBay, price was £72 + £10 postage (cool seeing as it's an '82 style model!), this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-Strat-by-Fender-Electric-Guitar-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-in-Sunburst-/183978950025?hash=item2ad5fffd89%3Ag%3Am9AAAOSwF9tdk9Rv&nma=true&si=hdDw%2BX2mUsc3Z8hjH6S6h3tgqZc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

After a clean (it was hella grubby) it turned out really nice - sunburst with tort and the big headstock. He have it a quick tweak (he bought it to practice setups and to upgrade) and it plays extremely well, literally nothing holding it back. Even paying for a proper setup it would be cheaper and better than the trash MDP turns out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I find his written texts hard to work through.  Does anyone remember the old Babel Fish translator site?  You could type something in there and it would translate it from English back into English, via simplified Chinese, Esperanto and Navajo.

Navajo, I suppose that is near enough 'cowboy'?