Why become a member? ×

I wish he'd stop...

TheGreek

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

Technically, it's the reverse of a coil split, splitting the two coils of a humbucker into singles, or combing two singles into a bucker, in this case.

A coil tap would split both coils part way through, lowering output and thinning the sound whilst remaining a humbucker. The two are often confused, but not the same thing.

Indeed. What he's done is a coil split,  not a coil tap.

Yes, he should maybe be applauded for being a 'tinkerer' '- I'm sure many of us on here are, and more - but throwing in snake-oil blurb about designing that circuit is like saying you've invented the wheel. 

If he stuck to the modding/tinkering,  fair enough,  but this increasing habit of scrawling on instruments with Biro and acrylic paint pens leaves himself open to some well-deserved criticism. 

Edited by NikNik

Folks, I think you've crossed the line...this is just pointing and laughing now.

The thread is starting to be just unpleasant, and isn't doing credit to anyone here, nor to Basschat as a whole.

Please feel free to flame me mercilessly if you wish, I don't mind. I just think you should let the guy to get on with what he does and if you don't like what he sells.....don't look at his auctions.

YMMV

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 6

What if that's me? What if the sound I hear in my head isn't the same as what everyone else hears? What if everyone is laughing at me when I think I'm laying down a well sick groove carpet?

Edited by nige1968
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Folks, I think you've crossed the line...this is just pointing and laughing now.

The thread is starting to be just unpleasant, and isn't doing credit to anyone here, nor to Basschat as a whole.

Please feel free to flame me mercilessly if you wish, I don't mind. I just think you should let the guy to get on with what he does and if you don't like what he sells.....don't look at his auctions.

YMMV

I totally agree, but we've been here before, and I was flamed for saying the same as you about a year or so ago. Comments about tech - coild taps etc - are perhaps fair, comments about him/music not so. But hey, on the internet everyone's Jaco aren't they :(

As far as I'm aware he's a BC member as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

As regards slagging him, isn't he on here allegedly? Could he pipe up or is he too embarrassed? Let's save our respect for the punters he's mugging. 

He's not mugging anyone, I remember the previous thread people saying "he's ripping off the kids". Seriously? I'm not suggesting he's a world leading luthier by any means, but we've been here so many times, I'm just suggesting that folks move on and find something more interesting to discuss, Coleen Rooney and Rebecca Varney for instance :)

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

As long as he keeps putting monstrosities on eBay then it's fair to comment on them IMO, same as that mad German seller who doesn't seem to get any defenders on here unlike MDP. Maybe it's because he's faceless and MDP puts himself out there but for me as long as the criticism is of his bizarre workmanship and doesn't get personal it's fair. 

As for ripping people off - there is a definite car salesman vibe to his listings, extolling the virtues of questionable decisions using pseudo-technical terminology that will only fool novice players who don't know what they're buying so for me there's a slight predatory element and it should be called out. Same with making a cheapo J bass pickup out to be some bespoke unit and implying that the Vintage brand is made in the UK by a fella called John Hornby Skewes, he knows what he's doing there IMO.

Check out the listing with the bitsa P bass which has a video attached, no way is that fit for gigging yet apparently it's had a "full overhaul of the electronics" and will "keep pace at any level you might use it". He then sticks a £233 price tag on it and calls it a Squier in the listing, probably because it looks like one he saw once.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 3

Perhaps he sees his designs as thought provoking, like a South bank art installation. He expects people to be shocked? Maybe he accepts the negative comments as being people who don't understand his unique design flair and engineering solutuons?

But, at some point he needs to discuss his output, with experts?

Edited by mentalextra

I was feeling the same as @ahpook when I read this yesterday.

I think highlighting his dubious work and claims around what he is selling is fine, but slagging him off for his playing and music went a bit far for me.

I must admit, if a young beginner I knew was sucked in by one of these eBay sales and bought a dodgy instrument with his/her paper round money, I'd be livid, so glad these get highlighted.

However, I don't see how that relates to taking the Michael out of his online playing vids, however good or bad we think they are. 

There by the grace of God, go I.... which is why I wouldn't post a video of myself playing!

Edited by Huge Hands
  • Like 1

Just now, Huge Hands said:

I was feeling the same as aphook when I read this yesterday.

I think highlighting his dubious work and claims around what he is selling is fine to me, but slagging him off for his playing and music went a bit far for me.

I must admit, if a young beginner I knew was sucked in by one of these eBay sales and bought a dodgy instrument with his/her paper round money, I'd be livid, so glad these get highlighted.

However, I don't see how that relates to taking the Michael out of his online playing vids, however good or bad we think they are. 

There by the grace of God, go I.... which is why I wouldn't post a video of myself playing!

It's a fine line, but I think if you post a vid of yourself doing stuff on the internet, you have to accept a bit of discussion on the content of it.

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

It's a fine line, but I think if you post a vid of yourself doing stuff on the internet, you have to accept a bit of discussion on the content of it.

Agreed, which is why I choose not to post any videos of myself (although others have from my gigs) but in the interests of this being an inclusive forum with a wide spectrum of playing abilities, I would hope this forum would know better than to be a slag fest against other bassists playing and own music, I would have thought it doesn't encourage beginners to want to stay around if it is all a bit elitist. 

Perhaps the Youtube vid itself would be the better place to comment on that sort of thing if someone really wants to have a direct pop at his playing.

1 minute ago, Huge Hands said:

Agreed, which is why I choose not to post any videos of myself (although others have from my gigs) but in the interests of this being an inclusive forum with a wide spectrum of playing abilities, I would hope this forum would know better than to be a slag fest against other bassists playing and own music, I would have thought it doesn't encourage beginners to want to stay around if it is all a bit elitist. 

Perhaps the Youtube vid itself would be the better place to comment on that sort of thing if someone really wants to have a direct pop at his playing.

Hmm.. I can see where you're coming from, but I'd be against a blanket ban on critiquing anyone's performance via Basschat. Where would it end?

That said, anything personal should be reported and will be dealt with...

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

Hmm.. I can see where you're coming from, but I'd be against a blanket ban on critiquing anyone's performance via Basschat. Where would it end?

That said, anything personal should be reported and will be dealt with...

Thanks WoT, of course this all just my personal opinion!  

I was on the side of tBBC against Janek's huff all them years ago, so I am probably not consistent.....  

• Like 1

Here we go again.

I like that MDP tinkers electrically: the bridge and nut hack-jobs, not so.

If he's game enough to post videos on YT, he's no different than the millions of YT accounts that post vids and either get an approval or get ripped.  If Mods/Admins disallow MDP's vids, disallow all YT vids.

I'm not really bothered about his Arthur Daley-style Ebay descriptions. What does bother me is his attempts at renaming guitars PCGC; of saying he created a coil-split circuit; of his history of portraying himself as a guitar builder. For those,  he deserves to be called out on.

Edited by NikNik