Why become a member? ×

I wish he'd stop...

TheGreek

Well, 2 confessions from his text:

He's a lateral plucker and a bodger....

At the moment it plays a bit like an Ibanez wizard 2 six string, so I am loath to mess with it... and I am more of a lateral plucker than a vertical striker so it suits me for now!

The tuners need mentioning: they are new but I have worked some magic on them... okay, bodged them around a bit! I don't like the Fender shape and have simplified the paddle shape; furthermore, I have made the bass string tuner the largest and reduced the size towards the thin string.
Edited by yorks5stringer

2 hours ago, BreadBin said:

One thing I can't work out is the tuners, surely angling them like that only moves the furthest ones further away?

TInkering for tinkering's sake, like adding odd coloured knobs or jamming inappropriately sized pickups into existing routs. There'll be some spiel in the description about aiming for specific tone goals or improving player comfort, purely to justify incessant bodgery and the urge to replace parts for no real practical reason so he can claim he built the instrument and write his name on it in biro.

On the rare occasion he can leave an instrument alone they look alright. Way overpriced and play/sound like sh!t going off the videos but you could gig them with a bit of work and a new nut. This thing though, if you turned up to a gig with that you'd be sectioned before the end of the soundcheck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just noticed a new video up too which is a bit of a treat, some adventurous playing and even some impromptu singing:

You can buy the 7 string conversion here for £401.50 delivered:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wide-neck-SG-Guild-De-Armond-converted-by-PCGC/193111553756?hash=item2cf65876dc:g:tQUAAOSwnMxdg5YG

They are quite hard to find and relatively sought after as they aren't too metal oriented for a 7 string which is a rarity, shame to see this one given the bespoke Jazz Bass pickup from John Hutchinson of Janika guitars treatment tbh.

Edited by lemmywinks

5 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Just noticed a new video up too which is a bit of a treat, some adventurous playing and even some impromptu singing:

You can buy the 7 string conversion here for £401.50 delivered:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wide-neck-SG-Guild-De-Armond-converted-by-PCGC/193111553756?hash=item2cf65876dc:g:tQUAAOSwnMxdg5YG

They are quite hard to find and relatively sought after as they aren't too metal oriented for a 7 string which is a rarity, shame to see this one given the bespoke Jazz Bass pickup from John Hutchinson of Janika guitars treatment tbh.

Rather disappointed in that offering. Nowhere near as entertaining as the one with the buzzing P-bass and the drum accompaniment. 

the most unusual thing about this guitar is it has the reverse of normal coil tapping... although that may be rare on a bass?

Instead of having a humbucker that can be tapped to be a rather weak single coil, here I used single coils and run the Entwhistle on its own as a single coil, or flick the switch to open the circuit that makes the two into a single humbucker..

How is this the reverse of coil tapping ? It's exactly the same thing, but the coils are further apart. 

Whilst we're all giving him a solid roasting for his over enthusiastic luthiering and sales 'techniques', I personally see someone who is passionate about guitars and may very well have a personality disorder.

But get the hell away from my guitars.

• Like 2

Technically, it's the reverse of a coil split, splitting the two coils of a humbucker into singles, or combing two singles into a bucker, in this case.

A coil tap would split both coils part way through, lowering output and thinning the sound whilst remaining a humbucker. The two are often confused, but not the same thing.

I don't doubt the bloke's passion, it's the misjudgment of the value of his output which is the headscratcher. Most would be embarrassed to show these things off in public, let alone sell them.

I know we were discouraged from discussing his listings as he is member here, but this stuff is put out and advertisd in public, at what most would consider disproportionately high prices. If I didn't want opinions expressed, I'd play alone in the house, but I head out numerous times a week to do it in front of people. If they like what I do, great, but if they think I'm crap, well that is their opinion which they are free to express, to others or directly to me. I know that if the majority of feedback was that I wasn't any good, I might not put quite so much stock in subjecting people to my racket!

I hope, and am sure, in fact, that he enjoys what he does, but that is where the value of these really lies. As items in their own right they are laughable at best, and often a bit unsettling in their butchered and bodged nature, which is why they garner the responses they do.

Everyone needs a hobby, and it's a free country- but these listing deserve everything they get, here and across the internet.

Sorry Mark, if you're reading any of this. Passion, enthusiasm, and creative thinking are to be encouraged and celebrated. It has to be tempered with a sense of perspective, though.

• Like 3