Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Overwater PJ Custom 2018 (ultra high-spec) - £1650
£1650
Manchester

three

An Overwater PJ Custom with possibly the highest spec available and some extraordinary bespoke appointments.  Completed in June 2018.  Poplar Burl top on a two-piece centre-jointed alder body with black pinstripe (the second instrument I've owned with the Burl and from the same log as the facing on John Entwhistle's bass).  The burl is also used for the facing of the headstock.  Exquisite Birdseye maple board on a flame and Birdseye neck - the timbers used throughout this bass are some of the most beautifully figured that I've seen.  Black hardware including the Overwater bridge and string retainer unit.  The bass is passive (sort of) but has the Overwater/East buffer circuit.  This works extremely well to deliver with extreme clarity (and boost) the core tone of the bass/pickups.  The bass is supplied with two sets of pickups - the PJ set that it's currently wearing (in rectangular covers) and a humbucking set in similar covers.  The bass is also supplied with its certificate and spotless/as new Overwater branded Hiscox case.  

There's a story to this for those interested.  The bass was originally spec'd by an extraordinary aesthete of this parish - this man has an eye for detail beyond even mine (and I'm really picky).  It was supplied originally with a personalised logo at the 12th fret and the whole build was extended as the purchaser pondered multiple detailed additions and enhancements throughout the build process.  The result of the attention lavished on the bass by both the purchaser and Chris and his team was quite something to behold - the bass was also a seriously expensive investment (really expensive - somewhere around £3400 I believe).  This is where I entered the scene in late 2018.  The original purchaser had a change of heart and I picked up the bass at a good price.  I'd decided that I was in need of a 34" scale that could be a racing machine... (yes, I know).  I'm really a short-scale player but wanted a 34" that could play as easily and as fast as a shorty.  

The bass was everything that I'd hoped for, but in the search for absolute perfection (we're talking real margins here), I sent the bass back to Chris to have the logo replaced, have the frets dressed to facilitate a stupidly low-action, have the nut replaced with something really bespoke in connection with the latter, and have a set-up with super light strings (35-95) and an action down to the limits.  Chris did all of this to a superb standard and charged me accordingly.  I hate to think what the bass has had spent on it but probably somewhere around £3750 in total.  Now, after a change of heart myself and the need to pay for a fretless, the bass is up for sale.  I'm not particularly sentimental about basses but this is one that I really don't want to sell.  It's been a major investment of time and cash and does exactly what I want, and the body has the most beautiful contouring that I've seen on a P (something that is really important to me - take a look at the images - there's an organic quality to the carving, the body is like a pebble washed over tens of thousands of years).

So, that was quite a long way to go about it, but here are the basics:

Precision body with PJ or double humbucker configuration (both sets of pickups supplied)

Burl poplar top and headstock facing (with Birdseye scratch plate with a black laminate)

Alder body - two-piece, highly figured timber

Birdseye and flame maple neck with Birdseye maple fretboard - 22 fret 34" neck

Black hardware including Overwater bridge unit and hipshot ultralite tuners

Nut width approx 41mm (1.62")

19mm string spacing (adjustable)

Passive but with Overwater/East buffer circuit (1 x 9v battery)

Through body stringing

Weight is around 8.8lbs (I think, I have no easy way of weighing accurately) - superb balance

Supplied with Overwater branded Hiscox case, and original Overwater CoA

As above, the bass is set-up with an extremely low action and d'Addario nickel rounds 35-95 - I find these to have a fairly low tension (a particular favourite).  It is around 16 months old and in absolutely mint/as new condition... apart from one tiny, extremely shallow impression on the neck behind the 11th fret.  This is a short line and is impossible to photograph, though it can be felt by rubbing a finger over it - it has no impact on playability and is barely there, I just want to mention it for full disclosure.  I didn't do it and it seems to have been something that occurred when the bass was back in the Overwater workshop.  It doesn't bother me at all and is truly tiny/insignificant.

In sum, a beautiful, bespoke and custom bass with many really high-end and very well thought-through appointments.  The instrument has had a lot of money spent on it.  We all know about Overwater quality and this bass would grace any stage or studio (Overwaters record beautifully and thus are the choice of many pit players and studio professionals!)  I'm not a massive fan of hyperbole in adverts, though I think this bass probably merits it.  It looks stunning - it's my partner's favourite in terms of looks (and she's picky).  It's one that she doesn't mind seeing on a stand around the house (and I happily oblige).  The neighbour's cat also loves it (mine evidently couldn't care less).  I think that £1650 is probably a very reasonable price and I'm taking quite a hit at this, thus I'm pretty firm on it.  I'd prefer collection from Manchester, though I can ship at the buyer's expense and risk (I can check out insurance if necessary).  I can ship to the UK, most of Continental Europe and the US.  Any questions please just ask.  Apologies for the fairly poor quality of the images - Manchester is devoid of light this morning (indeed, most mornings).  If you need any further images, please just let me know.

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2809.JPG

Edited by three
spelling
  • Like 10

49 minutes ago, big rob said:

Any trades? 

Thanks very much but I'm not really looking for trades - I really need to pay for a very good fretless - and the Overwater is going in order to facilitate that 

26 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Cat included? 👍🏻

lovely bass. GLWTS

Hahaha, thanks - you can have mine (wicked beast) - the one in the pic is the neighbour’s - beautiful and incredibly friendly

• Haha 1