Why become a member? ×

Single coil P-basses have replaced Peavey as a passion of mine. Apart from looking great,IMHO, they sound great with flats or tapes. Another passion of mine 🙂

After trying various single coils I came to the conclusion 1 sounds pretty much like another. Bit of a blow that,especially when you like tinkering.

A thread on another forum, (No Love for Telecaster Basses ?), has been a source of fun and inspiration. It was there I heard folks mention the Dusty Hill custom from Seymour Duncan.

$140 + shipping + VAT and import duty ! To a fella who thinks all single coils sound roughly the same !! Madness !!!

Not that mad,I knew there'd be a solution 🙂 I'd swapped the £8 single from China (very nice) back to the Bloodstone 51 and was enjoying the bass . Still had the 28K Dusty Hill niggle so got in touch with David at Bloodstone to see if he fancied making one similar.

David was up for it but warned me 28K on a single coil was a big ask.Knowing nothing about making pickups, I told him Id leave the details up to him.He did explain the problems, wire gauge vs available space/gaps between coils. Only input I could give was Id heard the Duncan was bigger than a standard single coil and since I was yet to cut the body there was no fixed size.

David had some 28mm alnico 5 slugs from another project then set to work.

thumbnail_bobbin2.thumb.jpg.cac9ee85c740a9091033072acd70a4b7.jpgthumbnail_bobbin.thumb.jpg.6c38e747bb8d82c5a1bf1a4eb57831c4.jpg

Projected build time was 3 weeks but it was done and dusted in 3 days 😎

Work hampered the new build so it went in the pine slab yesterday,sunk the pickup cavity by 10mm. It's a monster !!

DSC_0283.thumb.JPG.d13aaf7617fffdd052e33011219c443e.JPG

Not fitted in that photo,next to the 51 so you can gauge the size. Wired in series to keep it simple,Dusty's has series/parallel & tapped options

Does the fella who thinks all singles sound alike still think that ?  

Give me a week and I'll know for sure 😀

ps

David was brilliant. It was over my head but he kept me in the loop so at least I felt I had some part in it. Length of time to build,communication and the price were all fantastic.

We have some great people in this country and I reckon we should look to them first. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1