Why become a member? ×

Gut Strings

gypsyjazzer

Thanks for the replies so far. 

Hi 'K'---How old were the secondhand gut strings when you bought them? Good tone on your bass?

Hi Dan--- Like you I have tried two different sets of Innovation strings. I should imagine  that they are probably near the gut sound--(Never heard a live DB with guts on though. ) I found Innovation strings quite a good sound--easy to play--but peg winding issues--the windings  tend to fray if you put them on another bass--and they do not hold their tuning to well.

Do gut strings hold their tuning like metal strings?

Do all makes of synthetic strings have tuning issues?

Call me 'Old Fashioned' but for me gut is the way to go!.

Edited by gypsyjazzer
amended post

12 hours ago, gypsyjazzer said:

Hi Dan--- Like you I have tried two different sets of Innovation strings. I should imagine  that they are probably near the gut sound--(Never heard a live DB with guts on though. ) I found Innovation strings quite a good sound--easy to play--but peg winding issues--the windings  tend to fray if you put them on another bass--and they do not hold their tuning to well.

I guess I've been really lucky then as the Honeys on my NS have been on two other basses previously and I'm having no issues with windings, and before them I briefly had a pair of Silver Slaps that had been on one bass previously and had no winding issues either. It took about a week of practising before I could be confident that the Honeys would be predictable in their tuning, but that's not unreasonable in my mind since there's a lot of mass going on.

Which Innovations did you try and for how long did you have them on the bass? 

I'd love to play about with some guts, maybe on a new bass....

16 hours ago, gypsyjazzer said:

Call me 'Old Fashioned' but for me gut is the way to go!.

Gut strings DEFINITELY do not keep their tuning like metal strings. In my experience even nylon strings are a lot better at that than guts. Gut is heavily influenced by temperature and humidity, particularly plain guts. They are a lot more fussy than other types of strings. 

I used Lenzner plain guts on D and G for about 8 years. I used to get about two to three years out of mine and they became more stable as time went on, but still they were very susceptible to e.g. bright stage lighting, outdoor gigs, big temperature changes from outdoor to indoor, etc. And of course there is the upkeep with oiling and clipping the 'hairs'. 

But if you want that sound, you'll probably put up with it!