Why become a member? ×

Elf/One10 - astounding!

Telebass

Did an audition Thursday evening. Standard covers fare, nothing difficult. I learned two things:

One: Never again going to be able to play in a band standing up. Shoulder won't handle it any more. So didn't take the offred gig.

Two: this tiny rig happily kept up with a guitarist and moderate drummer! It left them open-mouthed, in fact.

Very pleased, and still in pain, in equal measure!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Telebass said:

One: Never again going to be able to play in a band standing up. Shoulder won't handle it any more. So didn't take the offred gig.

That's a real shame, am sure you sound just as good a bassist whether standing or sitting. Hope you can find a way to cover playing bass and accommodating your shoulder without having to make too many compromises. 

• Like 1

Sad to hear about number one mate. But very happy to read about the joys of your light rig which I have mirrored, minus the OneTen but may get one of those eventually. I’ve recently started playing with some Uke players over your way and wanted a light and small rig. 

Was the audition for that local to you covers band who advertised on FB? If so did you join them? 

• Like 1

I have an embrace. I stabilise the stand with a weight from a dumbell slid down the shaft. 

I was ready to quit two years ago with the same problem. Lightweight bass, wide strap with bobbles to aid circulation has sorted me out. 

I did make a waist strap which worked like a charm but required extra strap buttons so extra holes. 

• Like 1

The problem is not with weight or straps, it's my right shoulder, and I'm right-handed. Just the position and movement of the 'modified' arm causes a great deal of  pain. It's 95% ok when sitting down. It may, repeat may, settle in time.

I did not take the offered gig, I'm not about to subject myself to that level of torture. I am still hopeful of getting the jazz trio off the ground, and that's a seated gig by design. Just got to find that mythical pianist!

Edited to add: I do have the Kinsman stool, but it doesn't work for me, head-wise,  in a rock band, where I want to be bopping about. Basically,  bopping ist verboten! So I'd rather sit and be mellow.

😁

Edited by Telebass
Extra comment

• 2 weeks later...

...but then somebody did....

That number should increase this weekend, with Liverpool’s world-leading fullbacticos Andy Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold expected to be fit enough to ping insouciant crossfield passes to one another all afternoon. But Joel Matip may miss out through knack. That would probably mean another outing for Dejan Lovren – but he has traumatic memories of playing against Spurs, having been hooked after half an hour of freestyle entertainment when Liverpool lost 4-1 at Wembley two years ago.

The Fiver | A reminder of Lads It's Tottenham Hotspur FC's saddest hour

On 06/10/2019 at 20:18, funkle said:

Nice. Some of the reviews of that online are quite negative....how have you found it?

On 06/10/2019 at 22:07, fretmeister said:

It’s fine. Can be a bit wobbly if the mic stand isn’t a solid one, but it’s sturdy enough.

i used mine after hernia surgery while I was recovering.

I've also used the MBrace after I did my back in and had to do a weekend of shows.

Worked great - supported my bass well (and it's a heavy five-string). Like fretmeister says you just need a sturdy mic stand. :)

Actually found it really easy to play as you can move left/right relative to the bass body to make different neck positions work easier - something you can't do with a strap! 😎

Edited by Ben Jamin
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, thebassist said:

I wonder how the Trace Elliot Elf and TC Electronic BAM200 compare - anyone used a BAM200?

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Bass/Head-Amplifiers/BAM200/p/P0DI5#googtrans(en|en)

Looks to be a very similar construction, not quite identical. I'd be willing to bet it's pretty similar internally.