Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Bass Ss4 speakon cable

Bilbo

My SS4 cable has stopped working and I need to replace it but am not inclined to spen £100 on a speaker cable. I have done enough research on speakons to confuse myself. Can anyone point me in the direction of a universal speakon lead that will work? 

6 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Buy  Neutrik NLF4 connectors, cut and convert most any 1/4” jack speaker cable if you have ones in the house

Cheap as chips - job done

The Phil Jones SS4 cable is a 4 Core cable connected at both ends so any speaker cable won't do IF the 4 cores are needed. The chances are that a normal 2 core will do and NL2 connectors but without out knowing what is being connected to what, can't really say.

20 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

The Phil Jones SS4 cable is a 4 Core cable connected at both ends so any speaker cable won't do IF the 4 cores are needed. The chances are that a normal 2 core will do and NL2 connectors but without out knowing what is being connected to what, can't really say.

Nope I get that,  I suggested NL4 just for ease of use as if it’s 2 it’s still useable, and if it’s 4, it’s useable still.

It was more that IF @Bilbo had another cable hanging around that was a 1/4” jack, it could be simply converted to a speakon, hence not spending loads extra.

I converted one into 2 speakons t’other day as back ups having cut the 1/4” jacks off and stripped it.EEDD2B4A-FB7C-436D-BD23-031BEB193B6F.thumb.jpeg.5cbcac9e0980cf816d1809a16c316a9b.jpeg

• Thanks 1

It appears that the SS4 cable is simply Neutrik NL4 connectors and a four conductor cable with an absurd price. You should be able to make your own with two of these:

https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=NEUNL4FX&browsemode=category

plus a length of this:

https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JAMBC420DL1M&browsemode=category

The cable conductors are color coded, so it's not rocket science figuring out how to connect the 1+ pole of the one to the 1+ pole of the other, likewise for the 1-, 2+ and 2- poles respectively. 2mm cable in a 1.5 meter length will safely and effectively handle 1500 watts per pair, so for the parallel pairs of this home made SS4 equivalent the capacity is 3000 watts.

However, a cable shouldn't just stop working for no reason. Check the connectors for wires that have come loose.

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Nope I get that,  I suggested NL4 just for ease of use as if it’s 2 it’s still useable, and if it’s 4, it’s useable still.

It was more that IF @Bilbo had another cable hanging around that was a 1/4” jack, it could be simply converted to a speakon, hence not spending loads extra.

I converted one into 2 speakons t’other day as back ups having cut the 1/4” jacks off and stripped it.EEDD2B4A-FB7C-436D-BD23-031BEB193B6F.thumb.jpeg.5cbcac9e0980cf816d1809a16c316a9b.jpeg

I was concerned it might be a bi-amp setup where all 4 connectors were used. I'm with Bill and a possible detached wire.

• Like 1

According to the Phil Jones owners manual both the 2 positive and 2 negative connections are in parallel, resulting in each PJB speaker connection capable of handling peaks of up to 80 amps. That would be of great advantage if you're using the cables for arc welding. 🙄

For electric bass speakers 20 amps capacity is sufficient for most any amp I'm aware of. If all you're pushing is a measly 500 watts that's 11 amps into a 4 ohm load.

• Like 2

But, but, but the Phil Jones one comes in a blue silk lined box.............. 🤣

Mine has been playing up lately, the connector turns to lock but the inside part stays still so it just pulls out. Must bring it home and look at it, although for the price I'd assumed that some PJB elves would've turned up in the night and fixed it, but none have shown up yet. 

It came with my second hand rig BTW, I couldn't justify one new. 

I got mine with the cab secondhand. I would never have bought one otherwise. I will have a look at it but I think its the same problem: bits the should turn don't. Because I can't see what is wrong, I am not sure how to fix it. I am at a gig as I type and have borrowed one off our guitarist and it sounds fine. 

• Like 1

On 05/10/2019 at 15:33, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

However, a cable shouldn't just stop working for no reason. Check the connectors for wires that have come loose.

Quite!  Speakons are very eaily servicable.  Most likely, you'll open it up and one of the conductors has come loose from its screw terminal.  Total time for fix, under 2 mins...