Why become a member? ×

Oh dear. I hate this big time.

bubinga5

Yes I'm hating, im usually loving music but this is my pet hate. Drummers like this muppet. Im sure he's a great drummer and maybe doesn't do this for his normal gigs and just keeps it for his YouTube wxnk bank. For a start if anyone starts flinging there drum sticks around their fingers it puts me on edge. Then there is the overplaying. Its like me playing a fill on every bar. If you listen to the original the bass is very subtle but you know its there. The programmed drumming is subtle but you know its there. IMO its a great record. Thats all it needs to let the music and his vocals come through.I understand this is YT and people want to show off, but Ive played with drummers like this and i just stopped playing, because after years of playing you tend get bored of it and just think, here is an ego that I want no part of. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1

Don't feel bad about this - I also hate drum ***kery which this (and countless other drum videos) seem to glorify and encourage the young and impressionable to inflict on rythmn sections - I have experienced this as well - and stick twirling!! I seem to remember asking someone whether they'd been a majorette as a child after I had a particularly irritating experience. 

The product looks good - it's intended to help hot and sweaty drummers from losing sticks mid flight - if that saves the back of the band leader/singer's head from a whack from an errant stick occasionally that's also a strong health and safety feature 👍😏😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

The product looks good - it's intended to help hot and sweaty drummers from losing sticks mid flight - if that saves the back of the band leader/singer's head from a whack from an errant stick occasionally that's also a strong health and safety feature 

It also helps people come back after injury, and helps those with grip problems too. These are far better features than the twirling, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Yes you're right and that's very impressive - but looked another way that's another 400,000 potential drummers to wreck Bubinga's, my and everyone else's groove with unmusical bedroom based musicianship. 

Whereas the same thing applied to slap bass and loud guitars can be irritating, such drummers always are invariably very loud as well.  Back in the 70s/80s the natural progression was for clubs to install noise meters and drummers to be replaced by machines. Natural evolution I guess ......  😬

Movingly fairly off topic but it's in the drummer's 'about' blurb, and it's something that bugs me. Surely he's based in Atlanta, if he's based out of Atlanta he could be based anywhere, couldn't he? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

It's the American way. They probably think we're odd for saying 'Based in'...

I realise it's American, and bless 'em for trying, but they always get it so wrong. 😉

This is tongue in cheek before anyone gets uppity BTW. 

• Haha 2

I'm more of a drum owner than player, and I find my hand gradually works its way towards the butt end of the stick during a tune. This process stops when I get to the end of the stick (usually!) but this gizmo would help that enormously. I should really get some technique, but that ain't gonna happen any time soon!

This has got me thinking if a rubber band part-way down the stick to form a slight ridge might help me? Might have to try this out!

I’m with 

16 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

I’m with you @bubinga5, this man is a...

...hang on, you know what? I’m feeling bad about saying that now. Sure I don’t like his style nor his showmanship but perhaps he’s a decent chap and loves his Mum. Nothing about the video does anything for me but each to his own.

Edited by Frank Blank

I don't mind YouTube drum channels where the drummer overplays massively because that's the reason for the channel and it definitely appeals to lots of people. I just don't particularly like Cooperdrummer because although he's clearly a great player it always seems a bit sloppy to me and more about volume and showmanship than quality. I really like Cobus' channel tho and think he does some brilliant covers.

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I’m with 

I’m with you @bubinga5, this man is a...

...hang on, you know what? I’m feeling bad about saying that now. Sure I don’t like his style nor his showmanship but perhaps he’s a decent chap and loves his Mum. Nothing about the video does anything for me but each to his own.

It's the drummy equivalent of the 'I paid ten people to record a bass solo so I could show you the seven worst to show I'm slappier than them all' channel.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

I didn't watch it until the end. And I have to admit and feel bad now. !

Don't feel bad :)

Maybe you feel a bit differently, maybe not... I for one I'm very grateful that you share things that you found here. I've come across a LOT of great music in your posts. You can't score 10/10 every time ;)

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

like bass players who take their hand off the neck

You mean people like me who take their hand off the neck?

(Narrows eyes, lights half-smoked cheroot, adjusts poncho; Ennio Morricone Spaghetti Western music plays in the background).

• Haha 5