Why become a member? ×

Songs you never tire of.

spectoremg

I really struggled to think of specific songs as there are so many over the years but these i have a special fondness for :-

Laughing Gnome - David Bowie (just makes me laugh every time i watch the original VID clip)

School - Supertramp (loved playing bass to this song yrs ago and still do)

Everyday - Steve Hackett (again just loved playing bass to this song)

And You And I - Yes ( i'm not usually a Yes fan but this song just stuck with me from first hearing it way back)

Steven - Alice Cooper (one of those haunting Cooper songs)

Follow You Follow Me - Genesis (just a great song) 

I could probably keep going but list would be endless.

Dave

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jacko said:

dave. What's your band called and do you have a gig listing?  I'd really like to hear your 70's glam stuff.

graeme

Hi Graeme

Curious where the Jacko name comes from now :lol:

Band is called Blockbustarz (see the link below to our FB page).

Due to recent and forth-coming holidays and other band commitments our gigs are currently few and far between but we are looking to change that in 2020. Next gigs are in Dec. at Custom House in Greenock and then one in Falkirk area but details will be on our FB page. We are currently looking at some new VID clips from Ivory Blacks to use on our FB page.

Dave 

Edited by dmccombe7

43 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Hi Graeme

Curious where the Jacko name comes from now :lol:

Jackson.  Not very imaginative but coming from the North east I've been jacko since middle school (long before I'd even heard of mr pastorius) 

• Haha 1

On 08/10/2019 at 23:28, LeftyP said:

A few months ago we had a men's breakfast at church and I was in the hot seat in a Desert Island Disc feature.  I chose my discs and one of them caused quite a stir.  If I could only take one track with me to the desert island it would be MacArthur Park by Richard Harris.

Many of the assembled men had not heard of it and were totally confused by the "someone left the cake out in the rain" lyrics.

The whole 7 minutes 24 seconds of it is a symphony of metaphors from the pen of Jimmy Webb.  The opening line; "Spring was never waiting for us girl, it ran one step ahead, as we followed in the dance",  could have come from Lord Byron or Thomas Gray.  Once you know the story of how it came to be written (and there are several variations on that theme) it all falls into place.

The melody changes from delicate ballad to out and out rock with a full orchestra holding nothing back.  The fact that it was sung by a 'hell raiser' of an actor, not noted for his singing, just adds to the enigma it has become.  Every time I listen to it I hear something new and with such variations in pace and arrangements it never becomes predictable.

Many people find it totally confusing but I love it!

I also think it's great and love the stuff that Glen Campbell recorded. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I really struggled to think of specific songs as there are so many over the years but these i have a special fondness for :-

Laughing Gnome - David Bowie (just makes me laugh every time i watch the original VID clip)

School - Supertramp (loved playing bass to this song yrs ago and still do)

Everyday - Steve Hackett (again just loved playing bass to this song)

And You And I - Yes ( i'm not usually a Yes fan but this song just stuck with me from first hearing it way back)

Steven - Alice Cooper (one of those haunting Cooper songs)

Follow You Follow Me - Genesis (just a great song) 

I could probably keep going but list would be endless.

Dave

For picking Every Day you get a platinum star. I never tire of Spectral Mornings. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spectoremg said:

For picking Every Day you get a platinum star. I never tire of Spectral Mornings. 

Think its his best solo album altho i do like Please Don't Touch as well.

Everyday has always been in my top 5 Prog songs i'd like to cover.

Dave

There's loads I don't think I will ever tire of, but there's only a few that, when they appear on my iPod, I'll almost always rewind because I want to listen to it again.  Weirdly none of them are from bands I'm particularly into either:

• Close to Me by The Cure
  • Undone (The Sweater Song) by Weezer
  • Battle of Who Could Care Less by Ben Folds Five
  • Ballroom Blitz by The Sweet

The first two are so very nicely put together and the other two are just great fun and they all make me smile to listen to.

The 'rewind' comment above made me think of these two that I will always restart if someone (i.e. mrs jacko) talks to me over the song..

Heart. Alone.  ooooooo  nancy wilson :heart:

Tom Petty,  Freefallin. Had a drive round reseda and ventura boulevard in 2012. Not as glamorous as I was expecting.

I looked through a number of my playlist, and these tracks are always featured within my selections. Love each and every one of them. 

ABBA - The Name Of The Game, and Dancing Queen. 

BEATLES - Here Comes The Sun

ROD STEWART - You Wear It Well

THE WHO - Won't Get Fooled Again

PINK FLOYD - Comfortably Numb, and Time. 

KATE BUSH - Wuthering Heights and The Man With The Child In His Eyes

Kinks - Waterloo Sunset

RUFUS w CHAKA KHAN - Ain't Nobody

DEACON BLUE - Your Swaying Arms

DAVID BOWIE - Heroes, Fashion, and Ashes To Ashes

HUMAN LEAGUE - Being Boiled

PET SHOP BOYS - West End Girls

BRUCE HORNSBY- The Way It Is

ELVIS COSTELLO - Watching The Detectives

EARTH, WIND AND FIRE - September

YAZOO - Only You

• Like 1