Why become a member? ×

Songs you never tire of.

spectoremg

13 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

What a great band, just had to say that as they don't get mentioned around these parts much,  Long Line of Cars is a real favourite of mine.

Likewise I just adore Jolene. 

Not a cover of Dame Dolly of Partonsville BTW. 

• Like 1

Jeez, where to start.....,

Rush - Subdivisions / Mystic Rhythms / Between the Wheels / YYZ / La Villa        Strangiato / Digital Man (oh ok, pretty much anything they’ve done except the first album & the track Dog Years!😆)

Tangerine Dream - Cloudburst Flight (probably my favourite track ever & erm... no bass guitar 😬🤭🙈)

The Fixx - One Thing Leads to Another / Beautiful Friction

Florence & the Machine - Breath of Life 

Delain - April Rain

Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes 

Yes - Parallels / Awaken

very eclectic & there’s probably more....

I have a whole album of Prince - One Night Alone. A live album (his 21 nights in London tour) - specifically, strange relationship and other side of the pillow. Rhonda smith on bass. Maceo Parker on it too. Always in my car!! 💜

Kate Rusby . Underneath the stars.  Get a chill just thinking about her .  Edinburgh next friday :)

Forsaken.  Dream Theater.  Love vampire songs.   And on a similar theme.....

Lady Eleanor.  Lindisfarne.  One of my earliest favourites.  

Red Barchetta . Rush   -   there's actually dozens in their catalogue I'd happily listen to. 

Last Chance Texaco. Rickie Lee Jones  - Paints such a melancholic picture

Rubberband Girl.  Kate Bush.  Another artist with a favourites list a mile long.  

• Like 2

I tend to tire of music quite quickly, even the stuff I like, and maybe wont listen to it again for several months or even a couple of years. There are exceptions though, some tunes I've listened to regularly over the last 30 plus years and never get bored of.

East River  by The Brecker Brothers

Fight the power by Public Enemy

Grip and most other tracks on Rattus Norvegicus by The Stranglers though not Peaches

Born slippy, Dogman go woof, Cowgirl , Juanita/Kiteless/To dream of love by Underworld

Impact, Lush , Planet of shapes Stringy acid, Girl with the sun in her hair by Orbital

Paid in full by Eric B and Rakim

Fuel, Ain't my beyatch,  Enter sandman by Metallica

Midlife crisis, We care a lot, Ricochet and Stripsearch by Faith No More

Club country and Skipping by The Associates

Mad world and Pale shelter by Tears for Fears

Only and Safe Home by Anthrax

Police - Message in a Bottle (the drumming alone makes me want to listen to it continually)

Karine Polwart - Daisy (or indeed anything of the album Scribbled in Chalk)

BT - Divinity (mid 90s ambient dance track that goes on a right old journey during its 10 mins).

I'm sure there's more....

Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas.

Nantucket Sleigh Ride - Mountain.

Rock And Roll Hoocie Koo - Rick Derringer.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles, although I love the Frampton version and some of the soulful guitar work in the Vinnie Moore instrumental version.

Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull.

Could listen to any or all of these over and over...and I do. I love to immerse myself in them and cherish every note.

Edited by Bassfinger

Written by Bruce Springsteen and Steve Van Zandt, this is one of those songs that never gets old for me, despite being recorded 42 years ago. Even then it had a retro feel though, plenty of Phil Spector influence etc. 

Here it is being performed recently by Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul. Different key and arrangement, but just as good IMHO!

The main song I never tire of listening to would be 'Misty Mountain Hop' by Led Zep.  Probably because it hasn't been so over exposed as some of the other songs of that album. If I hear 'Stairway to Heaven' come on the radio I actually turn it off!!

Thinking of songs that are a bit more likely to get some airtime, I'd say 'Stay With Me' by the Faces because it is so bloody good, and 'That's the Way I like It' by KC and the Sunshine Band because it is so uplifting.

And of songs that I never tire of playing, I would say 'It's Only Rock and Roll' by the Stones.  As a Stones lover and regular dep in a Stones trib band, even I get tired of 'Satisfaction' and 'Honly Tonk Women', but I always love playing 'It's Only Rock n Roll'.  I think it's because the bass line is interesting but not technically difficult, so it inspires me to really rock out a bit. And audiences love it! 🙂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas.

Nantucket Sleigh Ride - Mountain.

Rock And Roll Hoocie Koo - Rick Derringer.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles, although I love the Frampton version and some of the soulful guitar work in the Vinnie Moore instrumental version.

Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull.

Could listen to any or all of these over and over...and I do. I love to immerse myself in them and cherish every note.

Some good choices there - nice profile pic too. 

I never tire of Thick as a Brick. 

A few months ago we had a men's breakfast at church and I was in the hot seat in a Desert Island Disc feature.  I chose my discs and one of them caused quite a stir.  If I could only take one track with me to the desert island it would be MacArthur Park by Richard Harris.

Many of the assembled men had not heard of it and were totally confused by the "someone left the cake out in the rain" lyrics.

The whole 7 minutes 24 seconds of it is a symphony of metaphors from the pen of Jimmy Webb.  The opening line; "Spring was never waiting for us girl, it ran one step ahead, as we followed in the dance",  could have come from Lord Byron or Thomas Gray.  Once you know the story of how it came to be written (and there are several variations on that theme) it all falls into place.

The melody changes from delicate ballad to out and out rock with a full orchestra holding nothing back.  The fact that it was sung by a 'hell raiser' of an actor, not noted for his singing, just adds to the enigma it has become.  Every time I listen to it I hear something new and with such variations in pace and arrangements it never becomes predictable.

Many people find it totally confusing but I love it!

• Like 2