Why become a member? ×

Advice for newbe

larwood

I’ve never used a digital tuner. When learning in the 90’s, I just chucked on something with a key I knew. Usually Black Sabbath 

Remember the days of learning guitar solos by playing a couple of notes on a cassette then pausing it......and repeat...

The guitarists in my band use digital tuners, in their pedal boards, they spend ages clunking their feet around and still manage to get out of tune. More string bending I guess. After they’ve tuned up, I just ask them for a note, and tune from there by ear. Takes seconds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJpullchord said:

I’ve never used a digital tuner. When learning in the 90’s, I just chucked on something with a key I knew. Usually Black Sabbath 

Remember the days of learning guitar solos by playing a couple of notes on a cassette then pausing it......and repeat...

The guitarists in my band use digital tuners, in their pedal boards, they spend ages clunking their feet around and still manage to get out of tune. More string bending I guess. After they’ve tuned up, I just ask them for a note, and tune from there by ear. Takes seconds.

In my earlier bands we always tuned to the keys player for some strange reason. In those days he couldn't adjust his tuning easily. Was very rare for my bass to go out of tune at a gig as i always had them sitting in the room temperature to settle before tuning.

I can remember the cassette thing too and before that lifting the stylus back on a record. Tapes certainly made it easier.

Dave

I still consider myself a noob and what I'm finding is my taste/style/whatever is evolving, though still pretty eclectic. I'd start off with something like a Squier and add to the collection from there cos 1 is most definitely not enough. Let your music point you to your next purchase. I've got 3 totally different kinds of bases and have promised myself a fetless electric next year sometime. A clip on tuner is very handy. Finally we can say whatever we like but you're the one who is going to live with it and hopefully play  it for hours, so in the end its what appeals to you. I find instruments usually jump out at me, so happy new bass hunting and ENJOY

• Like 3