Why become a member? ×

Getting gigs in the SW, agent or direct approach?

foxyFuze

Hi all,

Not like me to stray into non-gear territory, but here goes. 
After a couple of wedding gigs last year a band (covers, but NOT the usual over-pIayed standards)  formed with friends took a hiatus, and we've now got the time to get back into it. We are all busy with careers but keen to do pub / club gigs once a month or so with a view to getting exposure and live promo material for better paid wedding functions and the like. I'm not really in it for the money but I know the singer would find it useful. We have a rough and ready song reel and outline FB page which I'd want to improve on with more live footage once we get going. 

Our members are based in Bristol and London (yes, not ideal and partly why we wouldn't play more regularly!), so looking for gigs in the SW.  Any of you local who've much / any experience with agents or have you simply approached venues with a web / Facebook link? I'm sceptical as to how much use these "artist for hire websites" really are. 

Thanks

Approach the venues direct - it's one less person to deal with and more money for you. I don't know of any agents putting covers bands in pubs. If you want to do weddings, a better approach might be to get a list of SW wedding planners and send your information to them.

• 2 weeks later...