Why become a member? ×

I finally did it!

clunkie66

Have been playing for three years or so and jam with once a week with a group of infinitely more experienced musicians. Also have been practicing with a 5 piece with a view to start gigging soon. 

Although I have played a few gigs (mostly successful) and am improving slowly but steadily, I have never had the balls to play at a jam night.

Last night I took my drummer along to a local open mic for moral support, and lo and behold, managed to play for half an hour with no problems. Some material I knew, but some the house band guitarist showed me the chords. It helped that there were only a couple of other musicians in the pub so didn't feel intimidated. 

That was a big deal for me, especially as I'm in my early 50s! Onwards and upwards...

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

I feel open mics, jams or any number of by-the-seat-of-your-pants experiences are of such great value to our development. I used to play a lot of jazz; now I do a lot of accompaniment on the fly at open mics. I absolutely love it, and the workout of rapidly decoding whats going on whilst trying to play something that sounds good... well I'd take that over rehearsing the same tunes again and again!

• Like 2