Why become a member? ×

Stingray Special Fretless 😻

drTStingray

This looks absolutely gorgeous - but very expensive - only 106 made - I can't say I'm not V tempted. Highly figured roasted maple blank plank - no pg, sunburst over highly figured ash.....  😯😬👍

Ash bodied Stingray also to become a rarity new owing to the shortage of swamp ash this year. 

https://reverb.com/item/28330143-music-man-usa-stingray-bfr-fretless-vintage-sierra-burst-limited-edition

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 3

On 4 October 2019 at 09:36, dannybuoy said:

Oof! That board! What wood is that - roasted maple fingerboard as well as neck?

I think it is. Flamed roasted maple.  Playing one of these live would possibly be as attention seeking as drum stick twirling - you see I'm trying to rationalise reasons to talk myself out of it 😬

5 hours ago, drTStingray said:

I think it is. Flamed roasted maple.  Playing one of these live would possibly be as attention seeking as drum stick twirling - you see I'm trying to rationalise reasons to talk myself out of it 😬

It's not attention seeking. Nobody will notice under stage lights more than 3 feet away. That's purely for your joy. It makes the bass something you want to stare at for all the time you're not playing it

wowza ... I wonder if those fingerboard lines could actually be an aid to navigation, rather like the ding on the neck on one of my basses is where G is ...?

But mostly it's doing my eyes in 😵

... amazing that andertons have 4 of these -- rare to see even one unlined high-end bass ...

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 09:37, uk_lefty said:

Gorgeous. But pricey. Am sure Maruszczyk or someone could make you something very similar for a lot less. 

That's the thing. As lovely as it is - and it really is, you're in custom made bass territory at that price.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, burno70 said:

That's the thing. As lovely as it is - and it really is, you're in custom made bass territory at that price.

The problem is, to get that level of neck figuring you have to pay a lot. I imagine that neck alone is about £500 due to the rarity.

Added to that, IMO only a Musicman sounds like a proper Musicman. You can get very good humbuckers and pre-amps but they are never the same.

Whilst no resale prices are decent, it's a rare Musicman, so it should retain value a lot better than a small builders one off. 

I imagine even Shuker would charge £2.5k for this. 

• Like 1

You guys aren't helping in the least...... apparently the neck and board have a high gloss finish. I already have a Musicman Fretless (indeed used it last weekend having seen this - used it with an octaver at one point - very Pino sounding 👍) - but these BFR ones look spectacular. I wonder how they will feel to play and sound? Only one way to find out I guess. 

Edited by drTStingray

On 04/10/2019 at 09:36, dannybuoy said:

Oof! That board! What wood is that - roasted maple fingerboard as well as neck?

It looks to me like it’s a one piece neck, so all the same piece of (roasted maple) wood indeed.

Very good looking basses, Anderson now seem to have 5 to choose from!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm genuinely surprised so many people are enamoured of this bass. Essentially you are paying three grand for a Stingray Special with a flame maple fretless fingerboard and no scratchplate. It's hard to see where the extra £800-ish  has gone.

Special Edition? Let's face it, EBMM  put out more "Special Editions" than Status Quo have done farewell tours. The fingerboard doesn't look quite right on a fretless,  and will not wear well over time, I fear.

But as we know from Pino, a Stingray does (I have one and know this as well) 😏

The necks are one piece maple - the top sliced off to insert the truss rod - and then the board glued back on - so you'd be hard pressed to see the join - and as stated its very highly figured maple (and look to be quarter sawn) so the neck plus the extra finishing etc accounts for the extra price (over a Stingray Special). 

There's no doubting they're very nice basses but apart from a lunch time scrutinising the pics at various shops, like @hiram.k.hackenbacker, I've been 'persuaded' I don't need any more basses - least of all another fretless!! Who knows - I might change my mind - it's less than a used CS Pino Precision - I know which I would prefer (the one without dents)!! 😬 

I don't know what you guys have against roasted maple lol... ? 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Haha 1