Why become a member? ×

HH amps

guitarnbass

Hey, this is my first post :)

I had a H H head with side handles in mid nineties, green lights!!loved it, such a good sound with my vox 24 fret bass i will add a pic if yr interested
It was my first one :) and my first bass and my bass speaker was just generic but none the less a great sound for outdoor and indoor gigs
still got my bass and need to track down the cab i think its somewhere in herefordshire.....

• 1 year later...

Just been to rehearsal at the singers studio, last week he said no need to keep bringing my amp with me (it's a Markbass so not exactly heavy!) as he had found an old bass amp that hadn't been used for 10 years. It's an HH Bass Baby 60w and works very well and sounds great with the Precision. Never played one before but looks nicely Rock and roll!

Still got my HH MA100 PA head - great multi purpose 100w head - used it for guitar, PA, & of course, bass - played in a band a while back with this as the amp head & a 4 x 12" angled Marshall style cabinet - workd really well.

I love the sound of them & the "Thump & Hiss2 when they come on - and heck yeah - the green glow is both cool & practical for onstage use..

Had it since the 70's when I go it with 2 PA 2 x 12" cabinets - we had the best PA for miles around & it's done LOADS of gigs.

Ii've also got a little 1 x 12" HH cabinet as a spare/extension/monitor speaker - currently fitted with a10" 70watt speaker with a "sleeve"/wooden ring to make the 10" fit in the 12" cabinet cut out........

:lol:

• 2 years later...

It's zombie thread time... :)
A mate of mine has just got rid of his old HH VS Bassamp combo -- I was chatting to him about it and he said he would have got rid of the HH ages ago because it’s far too heavy to carry around, but he really liked the “Valve Sound” feature it had which sounded great with his fretless and allowed him to pretend he was Jaco :). He runs a much smaller G-K combo these days and was wondering if there are any FX/stomps/whatever that would go any way towards emulating the sound he got from that HH valvesound control?
Any ideas?

[attachment=185919:HH VS combo.jpg]

Ive got an old VS Basscombi 100w sitting in my den at home. Its beautiful, green and sounds great. The obvious problem being its massive & heavy and being quite antisocial because of those reasons.

I cant crank it because Im at home and the building will shake and the residents will flog me.
I cant take it gigging or rehearsals because there's always a more practical solution.

I could however take the massive rubber corners off, apparently they weigh a surprising amount of the ridiculous heaviness it tallys up at. I'm soo kack handed that I could bodge the cab by just undoing some screws, anyone done this before (?) and is there any benefit?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a VS Bassamp. It is working but there are a number of issues ( all cosmetic ) with these amps.

Firstly the knobs. These were chrome but dud not stand up to heavy use. I have the original knobs but am still searching for an economical way to re-chrome them.

The Perspex front panel can crack. Mine has but I have a new one to fit.

Some lose their large knurled thumb screws that hold on the side panel/handles and they are again possible to replace. Two of mine are missing but II also have an HH Bassamp 100 and wil move two from that to the VS.

The side panel/handle can crack. I have had three HH amps and none of these have cracked although being 40+ years old there. are some "road wear" marks.

If the power amp many modern power amo module can be fitted, even some class D. A class D amp will increase the power but do nothing for the weight.

Clearly mine needs a little work done but as I am now building me own amp, I might be willing to sell, make he an offer but there will be a short wait while I refurbish it.
I am not specifically putting this up for sale but It would be nice for it to find a good home.

Edited by Chienmortbb

I've not read the entire thread but spares and repairs can be obtained for these from MAJ electronic. I believe they bought up all the stock when HH closed the doors.
I've worked on a few of these and they were very well made by today's standards. You don't see laced wiring on production stuff these days, just cable ties and hot glue gun glue.