Why become a member? ×

chorus pedal recommends

Soledad

Mainly for the fretless, but sometimes the main (P) bass. I used the TC toneprint on their head, good given it's a preset chorus. Now I have a cheapo on the board, it's OK but gets very toppy - I want lots of mids, fair bit of depth and normally slow speed. Any recommendations please?

As you have a TC head, well, as a stand alone pedal, I would recommend the TC Dreamscape and toneprints for a pedal with different types of modulations. TC's Corona Chorus is also pretty nice too. For bass, anything that allows blending of the effect in to the dry signal is a thumbs up to begin with. The Toneprints are superb.

• Like 2

The TC is good (shout if you want my TC Mini Corona 😉), although I settled on the Providence Anadime. Sounds a bit more '3D' and 'lush' for want of a better description, plus it has a HPF to apply the chorus to only the higher frequencies.

• Like 2

For a budget option I like the Hartke, not sure if it's made any more but I was impressed with it and if I went back to single pedals I'd look for this first myself. Apparently its the same as some budget brand (NUX or something?). Also the Eden Chorus was pretty good but needed 12v supply or something non standard which made it a pain if you don't have a complicated power bank or the patience to faff around with another plug, but it didn't really have the "lushness" or "spacey-Ness" you may want. 

3 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

Very adjustable and can go from seasick to a nice subtle throb

Should say that on the box - liking seasick. 

So there's a CE-5 and a CEB3, the 3 seems bass dedicated, and they cost the same. With chorus I roll the top end back so the mids sing, so toppy chorus is not it. Shall I get a CEB3 then?

• Like 1

I have a tce chorus/pitch/flanger. It should be the crème de la crème of all pedal choruses. It may be so, but it cuts the low end. I have tried it with double bass and electric, but no.

Then something happened along the way. I decided to buy a X-over. Now I have a very, very functional chorus (and a flanger), that is cut from 400 Hz downwards.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Defo said:

Can't beat the CEB-3, been using one, or the predecessor, for decades.

was the predecessor the CE5? They're both still available but Boss say the CE5 is for guitar and keys. BUT I do like the top and bottom filter on the CE5, as I want to close in on the mids with the fretless. As I understand the CEB3 just has hi-pass. 

Are they pretty much evens or is one better than the other for bass?

16 hours ago, Soledad said:

was the predecessor the CE5? They're both still available but Boss say the CE5 is for guitar and keys. BUT I do like the top and bottom filter on the CE5, as I want to close in on the mids with the fretless. As I understand the CEB3 just has hi-pass. 

Are they pretty much evens or is one better than the other for bass?

Not sure, however I started on the old guitar one back in the 80s (before the bass ones came out) and it sucked the bottom end out totally. The advent of the bass one (the brown and gold one was my first) got rid of that problem. The current CEB3 is the best yet, I wouldn't migrate to the CE5 personally.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

No problem with the CEB-3, but the CE-5 is no slouch on bass,

I was a bit torn, but ordered a ceb3. I can use the Sadowsky pre to control top if I need to (or just roll back on the bass) - but either is going to be way better than my very budget Harley Benton. Surely?? !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soledad said:

I was a bit torn, but ordered a ceb3. I can use the Sadowsky pre to control top if I need to (or just roll back on the bass) - but either is going to be way better than my very budget Harley Benton. Surely?? !

Good choice, you won’t regret it! 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Out of interest, which Harley Benton were you using?

BCH1 - got it for a tenner from a fellow BCer. It's been good just used in isolation but it's tempting to assume spend more = better... doh. I need to resequence pedals when I get the CEB3. It's at the end of the chain (only pre/comp/chorus so not silly long) - will try Ch/pre/comp I think, and any other permutation.

BH.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1