Why become a member? ×

Walking bass course review

lownote

I have bought into Mark Smith's 'Simple Steps to Walking Bass', at Talking Bass https://www.talkingbass.net/product/simple-steps-to-walking-bass/ .

This is a compendious learnathon that will take you forward from absolute basic chord structure  to learning to walk fluently in great and exhaustive detail. And it's astonishing good value at around £50. Frankly, you get an awful lot of skills and knowledge per pound. Enough to last you months if not years of study.

The downside is the amount of stuff.  62 videos! Yer man leaves few stones unturned. And the name.  You'd only call this marathon 'Simple Steps...' if you have a first class degree in music and are super brainy - which Smith has and is. Most mortals will go "FFS...'.

Plus his high speed excitable and non stop delivery is somewhat wearing after a short while. But then I am doing several hours a day and at least he's more exciting than Ed Freidland.  I did get through Ed's course on SBL but only by drinking strong coffee.

Overall a tour de force, but you may need the Force to get through it all. 

Recommended  ****

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 2

Interesting, I saw the Talking bass course but didn't want to spend the money if I wasn't sure I'd finish it. I'm inching my way through the Ed Friedland book at the moment ("building walking bass lines"). I have had it for years, but never seemed to get round to applying myself to it until recently when I got back into bass again.

The problem I have (apart from being really bad at reading music) is that I get distracted by cool funky basslines I can learn on YouTube & play quite convincingly rather than fumble my way through Jazz that I can hardly play at all.

21 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

Interesting, I saw the Talking bass course but didn't want to spend the money if I wasn't sure I'd finish it. I'm inching my way through the Ed Friedland book at the moment ("building walking bass lines"). I have had it for years, but never seemed to get round to applying myself to it until recently when I got back into bass again.

The problem I have (apart from being really bad at reading music) is that I get distracted by cool funky basslines I can learn on YouTube & play quite convincingly rather than fumble my way through Jazz that I can hardly play at all.

You're my twin brother...

I've recently brought that book out, again, hoping that seeing it on the desk will prompt me to actually use it... not getting very far yet :D I start... then I get distracted playing something I'm actually decent at and that's it.