Why become a member? ×

Avoiding thightening the handle too much with the thumb

Guest Corto14

Guest Corto14

I'm playing bass since February '19 and since then I've focused nearly exclusively on the technique and timing.

Speaking of the technique, I tend to use a light touch with my right hand (plucking hand) and with the fingers, but I'm not able to avoid pressing the thumb too hard against the neck. Any exercises or tips in order to correct this thing? I've tried playing some scales w/o rest the thumb but I noticed that my thumb remains very contracted.

Thanks 

Edited by Corto14

• 1 month later...

If your thumb is painful or uncomfortable a tip I got recently (which works really well and fast) is to get an elastic elbow support and wear it rather low down so it compresses the upper part of your forearm. My brother was advised to do this by a physio.

Might help you relax the thumb and press less hard.

Guest Corto14
On 15/11/2019 at 15:34, Kevsy71 said:

Hi Corto (Maltese!),

What bass do you use? Neck profile or nut width may be a factor.

What gauge of strings?

Do you notice this more at the first 5 frets?

Do you shift your fretting hand or lock it to 'one finger per fret'?

Hi! Thanks for your reply

I play a yamaha bb734a, I think the problem isn't the neck but my technique. I tend to squeeze the thumb too hard, and this happen in the lower and upper register either.

I've tried to play without resting the thumb, but it seems doesn't work 'cause my fretting hand stays in tension.

Not sure I was clear, but I find difficult to describe even in my native language ahah

Guest Corto14
23 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If your thumb is painful or uncomfortable a tip I got recently (which works really well and fast) is to get an elastic elbow support and wear it rather low down so it compresses the upper part of your forearm. My brother was advised to do this by a physio.

Might help you relax the thumb and press less hard.

Like this one? 

SmartSelect_20191116-164128_Samsung Internet.jpg