Why become a member? ×

Changing Man - Paul Weller - sound effects

Jakester

Not sure if this is the right place, so sorry if not!

We're playing Paul Weller's Changing Man in my band at the moment, and there's loads of bleepy sound effects in the background. I wondered if anyone's band had ever had a stab at replicating them and if so, how you went about doing it?

32 minutes ago, Jakester said:

Not sure if this is the right place, so sorry if not!

We're playing Paul Weller's Changing Man in my band at the moment, and there's loads of bleepy sound effects in the background. I wondered if anyone's band had ever had a stab at replicating them and if so, how you went about doing it?

I think they are a sample of 10538 Overture by Elo, so using a chamber orchestra might be the way to go...

Edited by Stub Mandrel

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I think they are a sample of 10538 Overture by Elo, so using a chamber orchestra might be the way to go...

No, not the main figure, but sound effects in the background - there’s a sort of ray gun effect, and  various other ‘squidgy and wobby’ sounds. 

8 hours ago, mep said:

Great song to play. Did it in a band many years ago but didn't bother with those bits. Most people wouldn't notice so you have to decide if it's worth it.

We’re not going all out for authenticity but I did notice on a first run through it can get a little repetitive so it’d be nice to break it up a little.  

Paul Weller doesn’t do them live. 

I’d create a sample and trigger it from a midi foot switch.

We play it in our drums/bass/guitar band setup. We leave it out. Considering he has keys and a second guitar it’s still a pretty strong song without all the padding. 

11 minutes ago, TimR said:

Paul Weller doesn’t do them live. 

I’d create a sample and trigger it from a midi foot switch.

We play it in our drums/bass/guitar band setup. We leave it out. Considering he has keys and a second guitar it’s still a pretty strong song without all the padding. 

Thanks - I have the technical side covered - it’s the actual sounds I’m struggling to identify!

1 minute ago, BrunoBass said:

Save yourself a few quid and get one of those cheep sound effects keyrings off eBay - that’s what Weller used, according to an interview I read with producer Brendan Lynch. 

Thought it sounded familiar. 😂

On 03/10/2019 at 19:44, BrunoBass said:

Save yourself a few quid and get one of those cheep sound effects keyrings off eBay - that’s what Weller used, according to an interview I read with producer Brendan Lynch. 

If anyone is interested, this was spot on - but instead of buying one I found some vids on YouTube and just sampled the bits I needed. 

There’s a sort of rising sub-bass ‘wobble’ so I nicked a dubstep sample off YouTube and added filter and flange effects for that. 

The only sound still outstanding is a sort of ‘honk’ in the main riff but I’m not sure I can be bothered to track that one down...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...