Why become a member? ×

BEAD Tuning

Chienmortbb

I just experimented for the first time with B_E_A_D, and since I generally use 45-100 strings my E/B was too floppy.

I have some take offs from my 6 string with a 130, so I'm going to buy an extra nut and try them out.

I don't think I'll miss the loss of the G too much, and 5 strings don't thrill me.

GHS has a BEAD tuned string set offering. But they cost more than their 5 string set, containing those same lower 4 strings plus the high G. How stoopid is that? (or how easy is it to rip off snobs) Get a 5er set, as others suggested. Been doing it for years in the (few) 4 strings I've lately owned. There's also the Beefy Slinky's from Ernie Ball and I think it's DR who also make another low tuning 4 string set.

Edited by andruca

• 3 weeks later...

Something we do on Double basses for some orchestral pieces is to tune the bottom three strings in 5ths (C G D G) ... various composers want the basses a full octave below the cellos.   Not heard of that on an electric bass, but it should work OK - probably better as using all four fingers (not possible on a double bass really) you can still play a scale without changing position.  Just a thought.

• Like 2