Why become a member? ×

Barefaced ST vs BB2

Stevie H

Hello all,

ive changed my car, and as a result I probably need to change my bass cab so all my stuff fits in the boot. I play in a pretty loud 3 piece rock band and Use a barefaced super twin with a Mesa D800 and it’s great for my needs. I’m thinking of selling the ST and getting a big baby 2. My question is will I hear a huge difference in tone, clarity and most importantly volume with the BB2. Anybody done such a swap? Cheers. 

There will be a significant change. It's a totally different cab. There will be increased lower extension due to the larger cab size and different tuning and extended highs due to the tweeter.

Call or drop Barefaced an email and they'll get back with the definitive answers.

2 minutes ago, chris_b said:

There will be a significant change. It's a totally different cab. There will be increased lower extension due to the larger cab size and different tuning and extended highs due to the tweeter.

Call or drop Barefaced an email and they'll get back with the definitive answers.

Yeah, have been in contact with Barefaced who suggested  the BB2 or SC might be suitable. No idea what an increased lower extension is, or what extended highs are, I just want to have an idea that if I spend 800 quid or so that the BB2 (or SC) can keep up volume-wise. All the blurb says yes, just wanted some real world confirmation. 

19 hours ago, gjones said:

Here's a topic i posted on my experience with a SC cab. My Barefaced Compact is much louder, with the same amp. If you're playing with a loud drummer you'll need a hefty head to drive it.

That’s pretty interesting and good to read some real world experience comments. I’ve got a Mesa boogie d800 which I would expect would drive a SC or BB2 pretty well. Your experience with the MB500 And SC  has made me think a bit as with my current set up D800 and ST I’ve loads of head room. Don’t want to lose too much of that with any down size I may do.  Hmmm. 

Edit: I noticed on the thread that you bought an mb800. Did that help with the volume issue at all? 

Edited by Stevie H

2 hours ago, Stevie H said:

Edit: I noticed on the thread that you bought an mb800. Did that help with the volume issue at all? 

The MB800 is significantly louder than the MB500 but I've not used it,  through the SC, at a really loud gig yet. The last time I played a loud gig, through my own rig, I used the MB800 with my old barefaced Compact. That combination was quite capable of drowning the rest of the band out completely. 

13 hours ago, gjones said:

The MB800 is significantly louder than the MB500 but I've not used it,  through the SC, at a really loud gig yet. The last time I played a loud gig, through my own rig, I used the MB800 with my old barefaced Compact. That combination was quite capable of drowning the rest of the band out completely. 

Thanks for that. I would be very interested to hear your gig experience with the MB800 and the SC as my D800 would be very similar. Cheers.