Why become a member? ×

Which JAZZ would you buy??

OutToPlayJazz

Hey everyone,

I've got my Ibanez 5-stringer on the 'bay & can't decide which Fender jazzer to go for... I love the look of the USA S1 jazz in Candy Cola, but I can't justify the crazy pricetag!

I've got it down to the Geddy Lee & the Marcus Miller nt4, both of which I can have at a similar price. Which would you choose & why? And are these two basses with their badassII's appreciably better than the hideously overpriced US S1 variant?

Thanks in advance,

OTPJ

Having owned both, its a pretty close call. The marcus is very versatile with the pre amp, could be a lot better with a j-retro in. I dont like the reverse tuners (a pain when your tuning quickly and tune down instead of up) also i dont like the lack of tone control in passive mode. I felt like the marcus had slightly more bottom end, and sounded better d-tuned.

The geddy is my favourite tho, its a no nonsence jazz bass. The neck is the best feature, very fast, slim and it looks good too. Put a j-retro in this and I think its a definate winner.

Good thing with both is they seem to hold their value well.

Go for the geddy, you wont regret it.

Nick

I've also owned both-

Both are excellent basses but I personally way prefer the Marcus- The preamp is better than many make out, when used sparingly, I do prefer it in passive mode though- A passive tone control would be nice but I didn't really miss it. I found the non standard neck profile on the Geddy to be far too shallow aswell.

I am selling my sunburst mm jazz, but only because I have a CIJ jazz on its way- It's an excellent instrument and I'd highly recommend it.

Russ

If I was after a Jazz, I am not sure what I would go for - not necceseraly a fender - but Russ' sunburts MM looks fantastic, the colour suits it down to the ground!! It looks like it has been well looked after, too..

[quote name='mikeh' post='38514' date='Jul 29 2007, 04:55 PM']Hard choice, but I'd go for the Marcus. Thats the ONLY bass I've gotten rid of that I really wish Id kept. Superb bass. There really wasnt anything I'd have changed on that bass.[/quote]

+1

I've sold a few I wish I hadn't, but I really was a pillock for selling my Marcus. I tried to buy it back, but quite rightly I was told "no chance" by it's new owner.

Tried a Geddy (unfortunately in Sound Control) and wasn't impressed, only because of the usual lousy SC setup, but it put me off, I'm positive that they're great basses though.

I've got a Highway One which is nice, but I'd [i]definately[/i] look at the MIJ made Jazzes with the US pickups on here:

[url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/"]http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/[/url]

I'm going with obbm and Sean, Lakland all the way for me. The JO is supposed to have a more vintage sound, whilst the DJ's a bit more aggressive. Either way, not nearly so hit'n'miss as buying a fender. Having said that, some of the Laklands can be a bit weighty.

As daft as it may sound, don't rule out the Squier Vintage Modified which is amazingly good. You could always check a Retro of other preamp in if you really want actives ( and it's probably still come in cheaper than a "real" Fender)

Cheers,
Alun

How about a USA 60/61 Jazz re-issue with the J-Retro already fitted! Complete with ashtrays/covers, case candy, stack-knobs and tone to spare...

I have one in black with a tortie plate and rosewood board that plays and sounds fantastic but I can't get on with that whole Jazz body shape. Give me a Warwick any time!

Out of the two you mentioned I'd go with the Geddy Lee, firstly I think it looks nicer, the Marcus Miller is just covered in plastic and screws, way over the top imo, the geddy lee looks nicer, more classic with those nice block inlays on the neck. I would also keep it passive, passive tones are the true jazz bass sound.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='38700' date='Jul 29 2007, 11:30 PM']I would get the GB Spitfire that Ian is selling.[/quote]

although great basses- they don't really sound like a jazz with the dual coil pickups-

I haven't tried one with single coils though

FWIW, my 2p...

I own a MIA S1 Jazz. Paid £749 (new) for it in Transparent Sunset (over a 2pc Ash body) Using Fender 7150 Nickels on it (I think)
And a Squier 70's VMJ (with a BadAss and DR FatBeams on it)

I wanted a 'Miller. Tried one and hated it. Probably because of the evil Fender electrics (mainly the EQ). It was all "ping" and no "sing" accompanied by a toneless bottom end. It was better in passive mode, but had no passive tone control, so it went back on the wall in the shop. It played okay, though.
No doubt fitting one of the East EQs would help, as would better strings, but then you've upped the price by nearly £300.

Can't comment on the Geddy or Laklands, as I've no experience of them.

Haven't you got a Squier 70's VMJ anyway? I thought you had...