Why become a member? ×

Backdrops - How does yours hang

Nicko

Thanks for the topic Nicko, I was pondering this question only yesterday.

On the two outings that our new backdrop has made so far, we've used string and duct-tape.

The first time we were able to tape the backdrop to the front of a wide-screen TV. The second, we strung it from light fittings and security cameras. Neither method was ideal. I'm thinking about getting some black bootlaces and using them instead. I'm also considering sticking a hammer and a pack of nails into the gig bag, but I'm not sure how this will go down with every landlord...

BTW, I used this lot, and I was very impressed with the quality and the price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Banners-DESIGN-outdoor-printed-advertising-display/dp/B00Y6V1PAI?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

Edited by MrDaveTheBass
Added Link

We suspend ours from our lighting beam. The end of the roll that the backdrop is attached to has a pair of loops which fit nicely over the screws on the back of the beam. Pictured is the lighting beam before suspending the backdrop. 

9C1FD4C8-824E-4E73-9944-440A9FB7D32B.jpeg

• Like 1

Our main venue has a grill/mesh type covering on the wall behind us so the singer basically used some cable ties which are permanently in place - we just clip the backdrop on via wee carabiner 'hooks'. I understand many folks won't have the luxury of this across all the venues they play.

Edited by krispn

14 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

We suspend ours from our lighting beam. The end of the roll that the backdrop is attached to has a pair of loops which fit nicely over the screws on the back of the beam. Pictured is the lighting beam before suspending the backdrop. 

9C1FD4C8-824E-4E73-9944-440A9FB7D32B.jpeg

I found a photo of the backdrop attached in place, suspended from the lighting beam. Works well. 

CD184976-8002-4A9C-80D6-37CC14D12C74.jpeg

• Like 1

Here's ours:

qqErAuH.jpg

There's a telescoping tripod stand at each end, a horizontal bar along the top (which breaks down into four sections for transportation and storage), and then the backdrop fabric itself is in three sections, each of which is folded over and secured into a loop at the top so that the horizontal bar threads through it.

S.P.

• Like 1

Ours has eyelets and we usually hang using bungees to the nearest hook or whatever we can find. Failing available hooks we'll hang between 2 rear lighting stands.

Ours is approx 3m x 0.5m. The writing is actually done in purple but venue lighting and camera have put a darker tint on it.

Dave

00 Stage pre-Gig.jpg

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lou24d53 said:

Ours is approx 5m by 1.5m, heavy duty PVC, with eyelets all around.

We basically use as many large, heavy duty tie-wraps as required to fix it to anything suitable nearby.

Looking into a free standing alternative for smaller venues.

FB_IMG_1553385673228.jpg

The Substitutes.jpg

Buy a pack of various sized bungees instead of tie wraps. Quicker and easier to put up and more important take down. No cutters needed to remove them. They stretch and take up any slack in the backdrop.

• Thanks 1