Why become a member? ×

4ohm bass cab options

Pow_22

A recent lowball offer on Reverb for an old Peavey valve amp was unexpectedly accepted which now leaves me needing a 4ohm cab.  I currently use an 8ohm Ampeg 410he which I love so im thinking I should probably stick to 4x10's and maybe a sealed cab (adding another cab to my current rig isn't really feasible, we don't play places that need multi cab stacks).  Will be looking in the used market with a budget of say £200 to £400.  Would consider a decent 2x12 too maybe. 

4ohm cabs ive tried before include the Ampeg 410HLF (but too boomy and loose in the bottom end) Ashdown RM 410 (more meat on a spiders knee cap) and the cheaper Ampeg B series (again, muddy and loose).

I lean very much towards a vintage type tone, using predominately flatwound loaded p basses.

Whats everyone else using within this criteria?

Edited by Pow_22

You could always try a Peavey 410TX. Cheap as chips s/h and come in 4 and 8 ohm versions,350 Watts.I had one for a couple of years and it was surprisingly good, handled my old Trace AH500 well. Only drawback being their weight, but otherwise worth a look. 

2x12 wise, Gallien Krueger have made some, with the 212MBE being quite reasonably priced. GK also do some 4 ohm 410’s ,including the 400 watt CX410.i use a GK Neo410, mine being the 8 ohm model but also available in 4 ohm. Excellent cab, not too heavy and sounds great. S/h ones come up just within your budget

Edited by casapete
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention a s/h Schroeder cab as an option. Well thought of on here, lightweight and often in 4 ohm versions. They come up for sale every now and then for around £300 / £350. Cheers.

Edited by casapete
  • Like 1

If your ampeg cab has 8 ohm drivers wired in series/parallel, it can be rewired in parallel to give 2 ohms. Can you get a picture of the back of one of the drivers?

However I  believe some Ampeg cabs use 32 ohm drivers and in that case you are scuppered. 

Edited by Chienmortbb
Added info

Many 2x12 cabs are 4 Ohm. I guess this is a consequence of individual drivers all being 8Ohm. I have an EBS Neo 2x12 which is 4 Ohm. Slight mid scoop but otherwise you get out what you put in.

The mighty Tech Soundsystems NDS 412 I had for a while was also 4 Ohms.

Edited by pete.young