Why become a member? ×

Supertramp and Roger Hodgson

spectoremg

Yep i bought some of his albums after the split. I really liked it. Been a long time since playing them as they were tapes. 

From memory i thought it was more like how Supertramp would have been if they hadn't gone down the more commercial route of Breakfast In America but as i said its been a very long time. Might youtube that now LOL

Edited :- just had a quick flash listen to In the Eye of the Storm and on hindsight i think its actually more like Breakfast In America style.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I took my wife to the Concert for Diana at Wembley Stadium in 2007. An all day lineup of pop legends and contemporary stars. And then out came Roger Hodgson, to general ‘who’s this bloke?’ crowd reaction. He went straight into Breakfast in America, and 80,000 people were instantly won over, impressive. 

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 4

Huge Supertramp fan too, but not of the solo work of Roger Hodgson, too commercial to my ears, but I like when he's playing Supertramp. Like lots of people, my favourite album is Crime of the Century, but Breakfast in America is real damn good album even if they took the long way home. 😉

I hated it when it went out, but I rediscovered it 25 years later and I had to admit it was an angular piece in their work.

4 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

I took my wife to the Concert for Diana at Wembley Stadium in 2007. An all day lineup of pop legends and contemporary stars. And then out came Roger Hodgson, to general ‘who’s this bloke?’ crowd reaction. He went straight into Breakfast in America, and 80,000 people were instantly won over, impressive. 

I remember thinking “no-one will know who he is”, and then he just banged out a set just about anyone would know. 

• Like 2

Thanks to my old man I grew up listening to Supertramp and his bass playing has been really influential to me...he always sits in perfectly with groove and some lovely melodic lines. I love them as a rhythm section. Anyone interested check out the Paris album...it still sounds amazing production wise now.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mook said:

Thanks to my old man I grew up listening to Supertramp and his bass playing has been really influential to me...he always sits in perfectly with groove and some lovely melodic lines. I love them as a rhythm section. Anyone interested check out the Paris album...it still sounds amazing production wise now.  

Just watched a couple of tracks from the DVD including Dreamer - they were one tight band!

• Like 1

Saw Roger Hodgson supporting Toto in Switzerland  three or four years back. TBH, they knocked spots off Toto. Fabulous mix. Was never a huge Supertramp fan in the early days but it all became more appealing the older I got. He gave the crowd all they wanted which was basically Breakfast in America and Crime of the Century, played to perfection, leaving the crowd in a great mood of expectation for the headline. We were then treated to the worst mix you've ever heard, with a bunch of blokes that looked like they were all on their way to the cafe from the local building site. Grubby jeans, shabby T-shirts, a Lukather that you couldn't hear, a vocalist that should have insisted on dropping the keys down a full tone, a geriatric David Paiche dancing around with an arthritic shuffle and a crowd shouting "bring back Roger"

All in all, a great Supertramp gig which made the whole trip worthwhile.