Why become a member? ×

New midget build

jebroad

2 hours ago, Si600 said:

Machining a compound radius tapered fretboard would be incredibly tricky, and very interesting to set up.

Probably on the wrong side of expensive as well. I'd try @SpondonBassed metal veneer idea first.

Agree on probably wrong side of £££.  Would it be a compound radius?  I am just thinking about how I construct regular wood fret-boards. Plane board flat, glue onto neck blank, band-saw then router neck to tapered shape, hand tool shape back, finally sand radius on using radius block.  It is a fixed radius. I would envisage starting with a 6 mm (?) thick stainless rectangular block.  Mill the radius along whole block, then laser cut the neck profile narrow nut end to wide butt end of fret-board.    Am now wondering about truss rods, neck relief and 'substantial' slabs of stainless steel so perhaps not a good idea.  

One thing to think about (based on my Kramer DMZ 4001) will be coldness to touch in winter.  Stick bass in car, drive to gig, get bass out, it takes a while to warm up again. Even with the wood inserts the aluminium is 'cold' until it reaches room temp.

Edited by 3below
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jebroad said:

Steel has many obvious impracticalities, how about a few layers of carbon fiber laminated onto a wooden fretboard which is radiused before hand?https://www.cycfi.com/2010/10/compound-radius-fretboard/

Given that you've mentioned a project with a CF neck a while back, I'd say go for it.  I should think that the right resin should wear well.

Remind me.  Is the neck to be fretted?  Regarding the resin used - a consideration might be; how stable is it over an extended period?  Exposure to fingertip oils and other contaminants might soften or otherwise damage the surface over time.

Edited by SpondonBassed

4 hours ago, jebroad said:

Steel has many obvious impracticalities, how about a few layers of carbon fiber laminated onto a wooden fretboard which is radiused before hand?https://www.cycfi.com/2010/10/compound-radius-fretboard/

What specific problem are you trying to solve / advantage are you trying to obtain @jebroad ?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was just going to say that the very first shape you posted would balance really well on the knee and it looks cool too. With these little basses you tend to need a fulcrum at the bottom of the bass rather than a cutaway to place the bass on your leg, because you hold it quite differently. With the short scale and smaller body it’ll feel too far back and too low down. Assume the new shape fits you though and it looks great 😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...