Why become a member? ×

Adding pickuls and preamp to a squier

seb

Hi guys,

I would really appreciate some help (and it could save me some good money)

I want to mod.my Fender Squier VM 70, adding a 3 band mec pre amp and 2 jazz bass active EMG pickups. Do you think for a guy who never did this before but has all the necesarry tools this could be achievable? I understand that I need to make a cavity in the back of the bass, but I am wondering do I just connect the pickups to the pre amp and that's it?

Thanks

Seb

If you are going to use active EMG's there is a pre-amp already built into the pickups. The pickups come with quick connectors to plug into the pickups and the correct Vol/Tone controls, battery connector etc. come with the kit. 

I'm not sure if you can use these pickups with anything other than an EMG pre-amp if you want to add a mid or blend control, so somewhat restricted. An East J Retro or J-Tone would drop straight in. No routing for a battery box and then you can use any passive pickups you like.

Thanks a lot for the reply, I was a bit afraid of that aftwr I checked the EMG specs, well I guess I will have to go with that and keep the mec for a later project. 

Is there any "wise" position for the battert cavity?

Thanks

If in need, you can connect EMGs to any preamp (which is actually a plain tone capsule) out there. Yes, the connectors you have to add to the preamp or cut from the pickups, but that's life.

Powering the pickups, well, I might cut the connectors.

That MEC is similar to the EMG preamp, only difference seems to be the order of the lettering, and C turns to G.

OK, I see.

EMG has those connectors that carry the energy (9 - 18 - 27 V) to the pickups and signal out. If your pickups are passive, you do not need that voltage. On the other hand, as you are trying to connect both the preamp and the EMGs, you need to supply power to the preamp and the pickups. Neither supply power to each other.

It is practical to use connectors, if you know your wires. If not, you might consider using a local tinkerer to help you with those wires. You need to know ground, voltage, signal inputs and signal outputs. If these are basics to you, I am sure, you are able to make the choice of using the connectors or not.

The pickups did not have any markings earlier (do they now?), so a paint marker may be your best buy. After an hour that ground is somewhere and... just a minute...

• Thanks 1