Why become a member? ×

Show us your band's live playing videos!

Al Krow

Eek! This is a really difficult one for me. I've always felt like a bit of an imposter on here with the level of skill and professionalism of many of the members.

We're very much an friend amateur hobby band , two couples (I'm married to the singer, and the guitarist is married to the drummer) so please don't expect stadium level performance. 

OK here goes (deep breath). This is the first couple of songs from our first ever public performance two weeks ago, with our own original material. It's very amateur and nothing like the level of most of the posts on here. But I guess I've got to stick my head above the parapet at some point.

Please excuse the "outfit". It was 40°c when we played. I had taken a change of clothes to wear after setting up, but it was so bloody hot I didn't bother. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 5

On 14/08/2021 at 14:57, Newfoundfreedom said:

Eek! This is a really difficult one for me. I've always felt like a bit of an imposter on here with the level of skill and professionalism of many of the members.

We're very much an friend amateur hobby band , two couples (I'm married to the singer, and the guitarist is married to the drummer) so please don't expect stadium level performance. 

OK here goes (deep breath). This is the first couple of songs from our first ever public performance two weeks ago, with our own original material. It's very amateur and nothing like the level of most of the posts on here. But I guess I've got to stick my head above the parapet at some point.

Please excuse the "outfit". It was 40°c when we played. I had taken a change of clothes to wear after setting up, but it was so bloody hot I didn't bother. 

Really liked the groove on that first track! Got a touch of The Doors about it (that's a big compliment from me btw). And good to hear the Bugera Veyron delivering a meaty sound. What bass are you sporting?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Really liked the groove on that first track! Got a touch of The Doors about it (that's a big compliment from me btw). And good to hear the Bugera Veyron delivering a meaty sound. What bass are you sporting?

Thanks Al.

I'd recommend the Veyron to anybody. It's ridiculously good, and I've never managed to turn it up past half way. 

The bass is an ESP LTD B206-SM

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It's weird that you should mention The Doors, I've never particularly associated that track as having a Doors vibe. This one however feels quite Doorsy to me, and other people have said the same. 

(Apologies for the sound quality. It's just a mobile phone recording)

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Thanks Al.

I'd recommend the Veyron to anybody. It's ridiculously good, and I've never managed to turn it up past half way. 

The bass is an ESP LTD B206-SM

I had one of those for a while. Nothing wrong with it, but I never feel totally confident with valves at gigs, and although I own and use Behringer gear (our desk for one thing), the two together played havoc with my paranoia lol. 
I liked the video, but found it strange seeing you on that side of the drummer. I’m so used to bass players being on the other side. 

• Haha 1

Funny you say that Dave about where the bass player stands. I'm always on the same side as Newfoundfreedom - that's partly 'cos in the pubs we've played it's meant that my rig doesn't need to be pointed across the drums which causes sympathetic unwanted vibrations of the drum kit. Just a little tip for you when you start playing at our local pub 😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I had one of those for a while. Nothing wrong with it, but I never feel totally confident with valves at gigs, and although I own and use Behringer gear (our desk for one thing), the two together played havoc with my paranoia lol. 
I liked the video, but found it strange seeing you on that side of the drummer. I’m so used to bass players being on the other side. 

Not sure why. That's just the side I've always stood in rehearsal. Standing anywhere else just feels wrong now. 😅

29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Funny you say that Dave about where the bass player stands. I'm always on the same side as Newfoundfreedom - that's partly 'cos in the pubs we've played it's meant that my rig doesn't need to be pointed across the drums which causes sympathetic unwanted vibrations of the drum kit. Just a little tip for you when you start playing at our local pub 😉

If your band has a right-handed bass player and a left-handed guitarist (as mine does) it's also the most compact line-up with the necks of both instruments across the front of the drums rather than butting up against the walls of the pub.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Not in Juke Box city though. In those videos you were standing stage right (looking at the stage from out front). Thats where I’m used to standing. 

Although i don’t insist on standing that side, i do it so i can see the bass drum pedal clearly, and hear the HH a bit better, which helps us keep it tighter (in theory). Its also easier to make eye contact if the drummer is partially  facing you. 

I have been on the other side with a band i used to dep with, and it was fine, but felt a bit weird because i couldn't see the pedal.

Its going to be totally strange finding somewhere to stand at the next gig if things work out 😁. If they dont, i have a Gramma pad that will sort the vibrations out……the audience will never know lol. 

Edited by dave_bass5

12 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Not in Juke Box city though. In those videos you were standing stage right (looking at the stage from out front). Thats where I’m used to standing. 

Although i don’t insist on standing that side, i do it so i can see the bass drum pedal clearly, and hear the HH a bit better, which helps us keep it tighter (in theory).

I have been on the other side with a band i used to dep with, and it was fine, but felt a bit weird because i couldn't see the pedal.

Its going to be totally strange finding somewhere to stand at the next gig if things work out 😁. If they dont, i have a Gramma pad that will sort the vibrations out……the audience will never know lol. 

It varies, depending on the venue, the space available and what works. I'm actually mostly on the same side as Newfoundfreedom even with JBC, but at Boxpark and the time we did our Showreel at Century I was on the other side and I agree that will be video you're going to be most familiar with.

I think maybe set up a video feed of the kick drum pedal, but make sure you have something that doesn't have too much latency...😁

https://fb.watch/7HyrlmBj-G/

Here’s a quick clip for a gig we had on Sunday. I was actually quite excited/nervous as I haven’t had a rehearsal with the band or played a gig since February 2020! I’ve not been able to wrangle shifts around at work since the regular pub gig started back a few weeks ago. 

Thankfully it passed with no major flaws except the three changes they made to three different songs at rehearsal- to be fair they only told me about the changes after we had played each song🤣

I’m sure there’s a way to

embed the link but…

Edited by krispn
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/08/2021 at 17:09, krispn said:

https://fb.watch/7HyrlmBj-G/

Here’s a quick clip for a gig we had on Sunday. I was actually quite excited/nervous as I haven’t had a rehearsal with the band or played a gig since February 2020! I’ve not been able to wrangle shifts around at work since the regular pub gig started back a few weeks ago. 

Thankfully it passed with no major flaws except the three changes they made to three different songs at rehearsal- to be fair they only told me about the changes after we had played each song🤣

I’m sure there’s a way to

embed the link but…

Very nice punchy sound you have there.

On 30/08/2021 at 18:05, Al Krow said:

Paul - that's a seriously impressive BIG sound from a 3 piece!

I did a couple of rehearsals with Paul’s guitarist. My ears were bleeding! He’s a great blues player but loves to run his fender twin at 11!

• Haha 1