Why become a member? ×

Show us your band's live playing videos!

Al Krow

So as part of my journey of documenting gigs, the guys out my band got together for a little run through of tunes... so I took my cameras down to try some stuff out. Still learning... oh - and this is a lot easier when you aren't on stage too!

My main learnings on this one... is my motorised slider was so slow... you can't even tell it was moving. FAIL!

• Like 4

So today's step forward....I've ordered a grey card and colour card to try for another round whenever that happens. Should help with the colouring and white balance which was an absolute pain in the backside on the last video.... as they say they though, done is better than nothing at all.

For those who may or may not be interested in my video learnings, here's taking what I learned last time and building on those lessons learned. l love the simplicity of an acoustic session and gives me slightly more time to think about what I'm doing when there's only a couple of people... "Just play guys, I'll video and see what we get". The grey card was deployed and hopefully you can see the better consistency throughout the video between the cameras.

Anyway, done. Onwards.

Oh and @dave_bass5, what you reckon to the LUT deployment? 😛

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 2

Thanks for the kind words :)

I'm really obsessed with colour grading - always have been, both for camera and video. Much prefer the cinematic thing as opposed to the broadcast, news report feel. The room that was filmed in is bright white and not flattering at all... which is really jarring on the eyes, which is one of the primary reasons I wanted to get some filmic colours into it.

Grey card really not an issue when shooting raw as you'll know, but when you are committing colour in real time with then more limiting options in post, it has been a massive step forward. Setting the white balance to be the same (eg using a preset temperature value shared by all) on the cameras just doesn't nail it. The colour correction per angle was a lot lot less this time around. Defo happy with the purchase of that little piece of magic card :). There was only really tiny adjustments needed, which is great and within the tolerance that I was hoping for. Given the different angles, different sensors, different lenses (which in themselves give slightly different colours due to the coatings and fall off), I'm pretty chuffed.

I've also got a white card for exposure - but fortunately all cameras seemed to be metering around the same (allowing for slightly different ISOs and apertures) - I tried to keep the stops consistent across cameras. The two 5Ds slightly screwed it though, what with being FF.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

This is on old video from a few years ago. The camera (Drift HD Ghost) was placed high up in the corner behind us facing the audience for a different perspective. Only 1 song and it's War Pigs by Black Sabbath. The audio comes from the camera too. It's a bit low-fi.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JellyKnees said:

Cheers man! It's a Dingwall ABZ5 with the glockenklang preamp upgrade, going through a Little Mark tube and a barefaced big 'un. It's the dogs.

Damn, I've been trying to avoid Dingwalls! Might find it harder to resist after seeing yours in action. Love the finish on yours. 

@Jack_Stroud_Bass not a dissimilar MB / BF rig to the one you have just got and sounding great! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Damn, I've been trying to avoid Dingwalls! Might find it harder to resist after seeing yours in action. Love the finish on yours. 

@Jack_Stroud_Bass not a dissimilar MB / BF rig to the one you have just got and sounding great! 

Ha, resistance is useless! The only issues I have with them is a) playing right up the very top end is a bit tricky due to the fan frets, and b) limited string availability/choices, although I'm now having custom sets made by Newtone, so that's less of a problem than it was. They really are fantastic instruments though, and the ABZs seem to be very reasonably priced second hand.

Edited by JellyKnees

1 hour ago, JellyKnees said:

The only issues I have with them is a) playing right up the very top end is a bit tricky due to the fan frets, and b) limited string availability/choices...

Thank you, that was just what I needed to hear to stiffen my resistance (my Spector Euro 5LX is a delight to play at the very top end) :)