Why become a member? ×

Show us your band's live playing videos!

Al Krow

6 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Cheers! As usual, battling with low light and recovering crushed blacks in the shadows. I'm really trying to get into nailing colour grading - it proper difficult! I don't proclaim to be a pro by an means but am enjoying the learning and experimentation with the gear that I've got.

I'm quite pleased with a couple of the angles on the above but again, when you only got 8 bit video to work with, there's only so much you can do. The GoPro is especially difficult as the footage is overly saturated and sharp - the exact opposite that you need for that cinematic feel that I am striving for (and don't even get me started on frame rates!)

The GoPro was the drummers so I don't know what can be done in terms of dropping the saturation and sharpness... I think I've heard of it being able to be done. My GoPro is so old it's pretty basic on the options... and it's low light capability is pretty tragic.

Looks Great!

what editing software are you using?

@dave_bass5 Thanks again for the LUTs. I've been looking at that new 360/4k/Leica mod camera. Looks to be a nice piece of kit. Will look forward to seeing the footage from it. Slight reservations over the file format and the included software but time will tell I guess. That Leica addition is a nice touch though - although is it case of just dropping the Leica name into the game? Can it really deliver the good? What's next? The Hasselblad GoPro? Or maybe they'll be on the phone to Mamiya?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rich said:

The Soul Destroyers at Cirencester's Phoenix Festival last summer... featuring Lou giving it her lungbusting best.
I apologise for my legs.

As long as you've got gay cowboy circus master on stage with you, I don't think people will notice your legs.

PS no offence intended. Snowflakes please disregard this post.

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

gay cowboy circus master 

Dave is none of those things (well, maybe circus master) but he would revel in that job description :lol:

(It's 2020, fgs. Does anyone still say 'snowflake'?)

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

@King Tut - disagree, the bass sounds just great through a decent pair of headphones :)

The whole mix is very well balanced - what was the sound recorded through? And frankly you guys are great - would love to see you play live next time you're playing in London and my lot are not! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@King Tut - disagree, the bass sounds just great through a decent pair of headphones :)

The whole mix is very well balanced - what was the sound recorded through? And frankly you guys are great - would love to see you play live next time you're playing in London and my lot are not! 

Thanks Al. Funny abut the recording, a guy called Alex Cohen (Alex Humbug) approached us at the gig and asked if he could record it. His hobby is recording/collecting/trading live band recordings. He set up at the back of the room with a pair of mics into a portable recorder and did his stuff. Our keyboard player sprinkled some magic dust on it afterwards and voila!. We're co-headling The Garage with Ken Pustelnik's Groundhogs on 12 March!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I agree. Good balance and I liked how well the bass sits in the mix. I find with gig recordings is  not always what he hope it sounds like, but if it works it works.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Thanks 1

12 March is a Thursday, right, KT? Well no gigs in the diary for then currently, so would love to pop along to see you guys that night. Free entry or tickets on the door?

@dave_bass5, @christhammer666, @Reggaebass, @mangotango, @jrixn1 and any other London / neighbourhood BC'ers who fancy making a night out of it please drop me a line and we can get this organised.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

12 March is a Thursday, right, KT? Well no gigs in the diary for then currently, so would love to pop along to see you guys that night. Free entry or tickets on the door?

@dave_bass5, @christhammer666, @Reggaebass, @mangotango, @jrixn1 and any other London / neighbourhood BC'ers who fancy making a night out of it please drop me a line and we can get this organised.

Yeah thursday night - tickets in advance or on the door. Wow, would be glad to welcome a basschat posse!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, King Tut said:

Yeah thursday night - tickets in advance or on the door. Wow, would be glad to welcome a basschat posse!

Cool! Let me add @PJ-Bassist@Wolverinebass and @CamdenRob to BCers in London I can immediately think of (and I'm guessing it's CR's manor anyway :))

Right...best go gig myself! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Cool! Let me add @PJ-Bassist@Wolverinebass and @CamdenRob to BCers in London I can immediately think of (and I'm guessing it's CR's manor anyway :))

Right...best go gig myself! 

In theory yep, I'm in. Thursday's are our rehearsals nights, its normally the only night we are all free. As long as we arent gigging that weekend i can cancel it. 

Not been to the Garage for well over 20 years (although we drive past it going to rehearsals). Last band i saw there was Cutting Crew, around the time Died in your arms was in the charts.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Nice one, Frank. Are you playing similar material 8 years on? (I know!). And other than become a conniesseur of ACG basses, has your sound changed / evolved in a particular direction? 

Not now, the band in the video packed it in in the late nineties. That particular video was a one-off get together to support our (then) local music venue (The Square in Harlow). I currently play in a duo with a woman who sings and plays acoustic guitar, we write originals but obviously it’s way removed from the thrash nonsense above. We recorded and filmed eight or nine tracks back in December, I’ll post some once they are mixed/edited. Having said that I am currently in discussions with a guitarist I used to be in a band with thirty eight (christ) years ago, hoping to get some kind of slow dub/noise thing underway, obviously if it gets underway I’ll post about it on here.

• Like 1