Why become a member? ×

Show us your band's live playing videos!

Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Looking and sounding good Dave! That Go Pro Max worked a treat - definitely a piece of kit worth checking out further.

Cheers. Yes, for a first attempt I think it its really cool. I need to work on finding somewhere better to attach it. Shame about the fish eye effect but it is what it is. Audio is way better than my Hero 7,

6 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Here's a song from last nights gig. Not one we normally do, but i think we got through it ok. I was also suffering from very bad left had cramp (hence the grumpy face).This was the first time out with my Quilter BB800 and Fearless F112. Sound was good in the room from the rig, but im still getting use EQrather than have the cab thicken it all up.

This was taken using my GoPro Max, attached to the PA speaker stand. No editing other than re-framing in the GoPro app on my iphone. Very impressed with the audio, especially considering it was inches from the speaker.

Yes ! For one unit in low light, it appears to work pretty good. Nice one. Thats actually surprised me to how well it performs. Quick q, how to control what the framing is like? Can you control that precisely or is it an auto in app thing?

Having (yes, I know) worn similar trousers to the singer on a gig, I thoroughly sympathise with her taking those off at the end of a sweaty night. Mind you, ladies don't sweat, right?

• Like 1

The framing is done in the GoPro app after the footage is taken. Because the camera records everything you can then select what you want the viewer  to see. It's as easy as tapping on the time line at the relevant  point, and then re sizing or rotating the footage with your fingers. Pinching in zooms in etc.  The footage can also be reframed to different aspect ratios. It's all user controlled, hence the over done panning 🙂

and yes, apparently ladies dont sweat.....or fart 😎

• Like 1

I think I'm going to have to look into this camera a bit more - I'm not too keen on the wide movement but for a two or three camera angles, I think I would really like it.

Mevo seems to be doing a similar thing - but the low light performance of the GP seems to trump it slightly. I'm guessing you could take the footage into Lightroom and correct for lens distortion. Hmm.

My 2-Tone band (The Skalites) just played the Skamouth Weekender. Amazing venue and crowd, absolutely loved it!

We write our own material and also do covers. Here’s a shirt snip of Nite Klub which hopefully does justice to the atmosphere of the place and the song! I am playing a standard Mexican Fender Jazz Player with flats. Bridge pickup rolled off and tone set down to about 15%.

• Like 5

Another one of my band The DiamondHearts doing a stripped back version of Tori Amos' Cornflake Girl. It's a rough recording on an iPad and yes, it's a bit dark, but I like to think of it as mood lighting (see, it was Monday and none of us were looking our best 😂). Once again, I'm using my Rob Allen MB2, 5 string (anyone would think that I only owned one bass from my uploads in this thread).

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Sounds good. Not an easy song to sing IMO. 

Cheers! You’re not wrong about the difficulty of the vocal performance and when working it up, our singist made a comment about it. Fortunately, she is extremely talented and stepped right up to the plate.

• Like 1

Old Blue Moses, a former blues rock band playing a party in the Park for the local radio station. Despite the caption this was recorded 15 years ago in 2004.  Not so much a band, more of a coach party.  Music starts at 1:50

Edited by obbm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just started going through the footage from NYE and will be putting together a little medley showreel together from it. Meanwhile here's one I did for the singer primarily - as he wanted to know how good his take on Prince was. DSLRs and GoPro 6 on the kit. (I think you can tell as the image has a different look and feel about it).

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Just started going through the footage from NYE and will be putting together a little medley showreel together from it. Meanwhile here's one I did for the singer primarily - as he wanted to know how good his take on Prince was. DSLRs and GoPro 6 on the kit. (I think you can tell as the image has a different look and feel about it).

Nice work. I think the two cameras blended in well. I think people are used to seeing GP footage now and for close up performance footage it seems very common. Like the colour grading as well. 

2 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Nice work. I think the two cameras blended in well. I think people are used to seeing GP footage now and for close up performance footage it seems very common. Like the colour grading as well. 

Cheers! As usual, battling with low light and recovering crushed blacks in the shadows. I'm really trying to get into nailing colour grading - it proper difficult! I don't proclaim to be a pro by an means but am enjoying the learning and experimentation with the gear that I've got.

I'm quite pleased with a couple of the angles on the above but again, when you only got 8 bit video to work with, there's only so much you can do. The GoPro is especially difficult as the footage is overly saturated and sharp - the exact opposite that you need for that cinematic feel that I am striving for (and don't even get me started on frame rates!)

The GoPro was the drummers so I don't know what can be done in terms of dropping the saturation and sharpness... I think I've heard of it being able to be done. My GoPro is so old it's pretty basic on the options... and it's low light capability is pretty tragic.

I think you did a great job. I think the GP gives it a bit more of a live look. Works well in moderation.
In the GP’s you can shoot in a flat profile, you need to go in to Protune on the camera. This gives you manual control. You can also drop the contrast etc. This is better for colour grading but can produce noisier footage in low light. It’s a fine balance. 

12 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I think you did a great job. I think the GP gives it a bit more of a live look. Works well in moderation.
In the GP’s you can shoot in a flat profile, you need to go in to Protune on the camera. This gives you manual control. You can also drop the contrast etc. This is better for colour grading but can produce noisier footage in low light. It’s a fine balance. 

I just wish there was a GoPro that did 25fps to get rid of that digital look and look a bit more cinematic. The bulk of the above is at 25fps obviously but there is only so much GP you can drop in before sync issues become obvious. Re: profile. Ah thought as much, my GoPro is pre all that, I've heard of Protune - was talking with my mate about it (he flies drones) - but obviously he got a lot more bandwidth to play with in higher light levels. Naturally, I guess you know that I'm running user profiles on the DSLRs so I can grade and subsequently LUT.

Yeah - my experience of GoPro footage in low light is not great - and of course topping and tailing using a profile is going to make that worse as you say... I think that's why I was so interested in the low light performance you've got out of your Max. I think that's the first bit of footage I've seen in low light which is actually pretty decent with fairly low noise levels.

Edited by EBS_freak

GP's do 25fps. Its their base FPS If the camera is set for PAL. You can even go down to 24fps in most modes. I just checked the H6 manual (i had the H6 for about 2 weeks but sent it back when the H7 came out). 

I was tempted to get my 5D4 retro fitted for the cinema profile, but the cost was quite a bit so didnt bother. I tend rot keep the contrast right down and sharpness almost off so grading works better, but in all honesty I'm more likely to use my phone for video these days. 

Ive got quite a lot of LUT's for DSLR, inc the Preset Factory cinematic ones, but i dont tend to use them much, as i hardly shoot any proper video these days. I'm more a stills man, but they do work well. I do all my editing on my iPad, and have Lumafusion for video. Amazing app and fully supports LUT's. Let em know if you want the LUTs, happy to send them.

There was quite a bit of light in my Max footage, but on the whole I'm pleased with how it came out, especially as there was no PP done to it. Ive not tried a low light test in Hero mode, and on the Max it tops out at 1080P, so not as good as the proper Hero cameras. Still fancy getting a Hero 8, although ive just spotted Insta360 have a new action camera out which is very nice. 

Ah yeah, I never thought about setting between the NTSC/PAL - I merely asked the drummer the question, he scrolled through and said there was nothing there... which there won't be if he was in the wrong video mode. I'll read up on the manuals for the drummers GP so I can set what I want on it (and set it back post gig so he doesn't get peeved with me when his subsequent footage is all grey and drab). As always on a gig, it was literally 20 seconds breathing space to set everything up!

I have just realised when I was reading your response that I had typoed above. I'm running 24fps (or more accurately 23.97). Doh.

Always interested in having a look at LUTs - there's some good ones out there... but I find the majority are pants and money makers for "influencers" or whatever you call these YouTube types.

My other drummer mate is in a Max/H8 dilemma at the moment, shall check out this Insta360 and see what that's about.

1 minute ago, EBS_freak said:

Ah yeah, I never thought about setting between the NTSC/PAL - I merely asked the drummer the question, he scrolled through and said there was nothing there... which there won't be if he was in the wrong video mode. I'll read up on the manuals for the drummers GP so I can set what I want on it (and set it back post gig so he doesn't get peeved with me when his subsequent footage is all grey and drab). As always on a gig, it was literally 20 seconds breathing space to set everything up!

I have just realised when I was reading your response that I had typoed above. I'm running 24fps (or more accurately 23.97). Doh.

Always interested in having a look at LUTs - there's some good ones out there... but I find the majority are pants and money makers for "influencers" or whatever you call these YouTube types.

My other drummer mate is in a Max/H8 dilemma at the moment, shall check out this Insta360 and see what that's about.

I did wonder if you meant 24fps, but yes, the H6 will do that as well.

The GP's arent the easiest of cameras to use when in a hurry. They seem to be getting more advanced but also more complicated to find thing quickly. 

Agree about the LUTS. I'm not sure why I bothered paying for them, especially for what i do, but i was interested in seeing what could be achieved. Ill send you a DB link this evening. 

Max/H8 is a tricky one. I went for the Max because i love the fact that you dont aim the camera. I get a bit paranoid when I'm out and aim camera's at people. This way i don’t have to worry. It also means i dont need to worry about something going out of frame or making sure i keep the camera steady. Less to think about at the time. I also love the stabilisation in Hero mode. Cant be beaten, but its not good for cropping in a lot as it lacks high resolution. I'd love both but i hardly use my H7 as it is. 

4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I did wonder if you meant 24fps, but yes, the H6 will do that as well.

The GP's arent the easiest of cameras to use when in a hurry. They seem to be getting more advanced but also more complicated to find thing quickly. 

Agree about the LUTS. I'm not sure why I bothered paying for them, especially for what i do, but i was interested in seeing what could be achieved. Ill send you a DB link this evening. 

Max/H8 is a tricky one. I went for the Max because i love the fact that you dont aim the camera. I get a bit paranoid when I'm out and aim camera's at people. This way i don’t have to worry. It also means i dont need to worry about something going out of frame or making sure i keep the camera steady. Less to think about at the time. I also love the stabilisation in Hero mode. Cant be beaten, but its not good for cropping in a lot as it lacks high resolution. I'd love both but i hardly use my H7 as it is. 

Yeah, I've never liked their little fiddly menus. For most people though, I guess they set it up once and then forget about the settings and just start and stop the thing.

Ah thanks for the LUTage. I shall have a look and see what I can achieve. I've got some camera recording to do in a proper lit environment, so I'll look into given them a whirl with some of that footage.

Yeah, I keep saying to him theres a compromise to be made. He wasn't DSLR performance and DOF, in a small package, with low light performance, with superb sound via external mics. It just doesn't exist.