Why become a member? ×

AMPEG BA115T

losendos

Took delivery of a Far East Hybrid BA115T Courtesy of Dolphin Music.Well double packed in Ampeg branded box.So far so good.Looked for the kettle lead.....missing!!!!!..... so I had to go without a few brews whilst trying it out.Shaped my sound Gain 10 Master 2 (in house) Treb 7.5 Mid 8 Bass 9 Style switch 2 gave a nice growly tone with my restrung Precision with plenty of G top end with pulloffs.Dont bother with the style switch much setting 2 is well bassy whilst setting 3 is totally flat to shape your own sound.Has a CD input for playalong untried as yet.All in all well happy with it and it is seriously LOUD...

• 2 years later...

I bought this model about 3 weeks back from Soundslive.

Quite uncanny that I'd write my impressions exactly like the previous review - esp regarding the amp settings. I do like the warmth from the valve pre and setting it to max def. sounds best to my ears. Style switch on 2 is def. the best to my ears and I doubt it'll ever get turned again.I've done 2 smallish pub gigs with it and it held it's own with a loud drummer and a Boogie guitar combo - though I wouldn't like to use it for larger gigs.

There's a -15db input as well as 'normal'. It would have been at least as cheap , and much neater , to just have a pad switch.

No mute switch - something I'm used to too.

I too felt a bit let down by the lack of kettle lead (just seems such a cheapskate thing to do) - the socket for which is poorly sited making it fiddly and tight to get the plug in.

One 'flaw' , I feel , is the kickback design. It's far too sensetive. The combo seems to naturally want to kick itself back , requiring hardly any pressure to do so. I think this could be solved with shallower feet , they're too big.

The single central handle is fine , though it is bulky for a one hand lift , maybe side handles would have been better and I may put some on.

The manual is basic , but fine - though I could have done with Ampeg bothering to tell me how to change the valve , that would have been nice.

I just can't think why I'd ever use the CD input - there must be a reason or it wouldn't be there , but I'm aware some other Ampeg combo's have a built in tuner and I'd have loved to have had that instead. I really think Ampeg would sell this model by the shed load had they included the tuner.

Nit picking aside - I'm very happy with the Ampeg. It's not small but it's not too heavy either - perfect choice for small gigs and practise. It's sound is full and warm and a quick dabble with the xlr line -out revealed a decent level heading off to the mixer. I'm sure using it as a 'monitor' would be fine - but I'm a backline man myself.

There's a wealth of combo's aimed at this market and I don't see anything that would stand the Ampeg above many of it's rivals - but it is an Ampeg , it sounds like an Ampeg , and though they may be asking a few too many quid for the badge you do get the feeling it's a serious bit of kit.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='583370' date='Aug 28 2009, 11:14 AM']I too felt a bit let down by the lack of kettle lead (just seems such a cheapskate thing to do) - the socket for which is poorly sited making it fiddly and tight to get the plug in.

One 'flaw' , I feel , is the kickback design. It's far too sensetive. The combo seems to naturally want to kick itself back , requiring hardly any pressure to do so. I think this could be solved with shallower feet , they're too big.

The single central handle is fine , though it is bulky for a one hand lift , maybe side handles would have been better and I may put some on.[/quote]

I own the BA115U & agree on the kickback facility - initially tested by the cat who jumped a mile! Being solid state the BA115U is light though and also has a kettle lead. Not sure why they are skimping on a better model!?!

Edited by BurritoBass