Why become a member? ×

Tremol-no alternatives for Strat

velvetkevorkian

I've used the 5 spring method on Strat's before, If it's a fully floating trem (floyd rose or one of the more modern strat type designs) then a thin shim of wood might be needed on the spring side to get it nice and level (i have used blocks of wood on either side of a floyd once to keep it in place.)

you might need to be careful with the 6 mounting screws as tightening them too much can actually pull the trem away from the body, this depends on the profile of the bottom of the bridge plate though.

Matt

It's no help whatsoever, but I only bought a Strat so I could have guitar with a trem on. All my others are hard-tails. (One I actually had Jon Shuker make me a new body to completely remove the rubbish Floyd-alike. It is now my favourite guitar!)

• 3 months later...
On 30/09/2019 at 15:46, velvetkevorkian said:

Looking to get something to lock my Strat's bridge in place -- the Tremol-no is expensive and sits proud of the back of the guitar, and I don't really need to be changing it on the fly.

Has anyone used any alternatives? I could get it blocked but that feels a bit crude?

Coodercaster!image.png.618e4f860a46c74b482839a6428bcc2d.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/10/2019 at 08:57, BigRedX said:

Also bear in mind that locking off the vibrato system so that it can't move will change the sound of the guitar.

This happened to my Fender Showmaster. I fitted a Tremelno system into it and it absolutely killed the tone - it became boomy and sounded awful, and so was removed pretty swiftly. These days I just use it with the arm removed and have all but forgotten that it's actually got a working trem.