Why become a member? ×

Hello from Basingstoke

Rageofklugman

Been lurking on the site for a few months now, so thought it would be a good time to sign up and hello. I made some abortive attempts to learn bass as a student and have picked it up again now that I'm starting to get worryingly close to 40. Really enjoying it and slowly working my way through the Rock School books.

Not much gear to speak of at the moment - I'm gradually building a bitsa 51 pbass and use a Jackson PJ bass that I bought new in 2000. I know nothing about it, except that it was the same price as the basic Squier package at the time so am assuming it came from China. To be honest, the big pointy headstock seemed like a much better idea when I was 20!

Apart from that... Mostly listen to stoner rock / doom sort of stuff. I'm subscribed to Ripple Music on Bandcamp which covers my tastes pretty well. Also keen on the odd 70s novelty song. Why do you never hear The Streak by Ray Stevens on the radio any more?

2 hours ago, DavidNevittBass said:

Hello! Whereabouts are you in the process of building the P bass? :)

Very early! I bought a 54 P bass body in a Guitarbuild flash sale a few weeks ago. I've finally managed to get it the colour I want using wood dye and will be lacquering it over the next few days. I've got vague plans for the other bits and pieces, but given the really limited time I have to work on it it's going to take ages to finish.

1 hour ago, Rageofklugman said:

Very early! I bought a 54 P bass body in a Guitarbuild flash sale a few weeks ago. I've finally managed to get it the colour I want using wood dye and will be lacquering it over the next few days. I've got vague plans for the other bits and pieces, but given the really limited time I have to work on it it's going to take ages to finish.

Welcome RoK.

It would be great to see your progress in the Build Diaries.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies, what a friendly bunch you are! Been annoyingly busy with work the last few weeks, but I actually got round to doing some lacquering on that p bass body yesterday. I just need to find the time to take some photos to post it in the build diaries now...

• Like 1