Why become a member? ×

Favourite Abbey Road bass track

petebassist

Paul and The Beatles can do no wrong in my book, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed revisiting this amazing album over the last couple of days on the newly released Anniversary edition. 

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window is probably my favourite bass line on the album. I like the way it grooves along. Least favourite bass line is on Something, which I’ve always found overly busy and slightly distracting.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Paul and The Beatles can do no wrong in my book, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed revisiting this amazing album over the last couple of days on the newly released Anniversary edition. 

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window is probably my favourite bass line on the album. I like the way it grooves along. Least favourite bass line is on Something, which I’ve always found overly busy and slightly distracting.

Probably wouldn’t like my playing then. 😂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I believe George disliked the part - he thought it was too busy. I agree with him, but many (most?) don't....

I can see that, yes.

Maybe within the context of Macca's general overplaying style* I've got used to it !

(I'll just don my fireproof suit now... :) )

Edited by ahpook

17 hours ago, stewblack said:

Well, I am happy to report it's a thing of beauty on its own and in the context of the song it is wonderful!

Very much how I hear a bassline to a mellow, sparse tune, but played in someone else's style of course.

I’ve just listened to that isolated Something. The past week or so I’ve been demo-ing my latest batch of songs and have been recording the bass parts. Having listened back to my lines today, my approach is so, so similar. I never consciously learned any Macca lines once I started playing bass, but the Beatles were the first band I was ever into, pre-teen, well before I ever considered taking up an instrument (didn’t start til 17), and I used to know most of their songs backwards. I can only assume Macca’s lines must have been subliminally absorbed to a far greater extent than I realised.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I've just listened to the Something bass part, and I'll never complain about my bass tone again...gawd, it's awful...

It does sound like taut rubber bands isolated, but I think it sits in the track well, and bear in mind when it was recorded.

I listened back to a bunch of isolated tracks from some of my favourite players a while back and the only ones that really stood up solo-ed were Squire, Entwistle & Glover on Machinehead. They all sounded freaking awesome. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I’ve just listened to that isolated Something. The past week or so I’ve been demo-ing my latest batch of songs and have been recording the bass parts. Having listened back to my lines today, my approach is so, so similar. I never consciously learned any Macca lines once I started playing bass, but the Beatles were the first band I was ever into, pre-teen, well before I ever considered taking up an instrument (didn’t start til 17), and I used to know most of their songs backwards. I can only assume Macca’s lines must have been subliminally absorbed to a far greater extent than I realised.

That exact same thing happened to me with Bruce Thomas from the Attractions. Never learned his stuff,but God I write like him