Why become a member? ×

The 3 Songs You Never Want To Hear Again - Ever

Chezz55

Born To Be Wild (any version) ...lifelong rock fan but have hated that from the very first time I heard it!

Red Red Wine, UB40... intensely annoying whine that unfortunately was just the sign of things to come

Saturday Night, Whigfield...the most braindead piece of moronic garbage that has ever assaulted my eardrums

(Dis)honourable mentions for Imagine, Ride On Time, and 99% of anything that made the top 10 this century...☺)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

Hey Jude, just the thought of that boring boring terminally long ending makes me turn off the Radio

Horse with no name by America, the lyric "cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain" why on earth is "for" in there? apart from to annoy the hell out of me

Penny Arcade by Roy Orbison, sounds like a 3rd rate Eurovision song entry from the 60's

There are loads more of course, these 3 spring to mind

HJ, HWNN, Seasons in the Sun (used to make me cry as a kid), Winner Takes it All; like all of ‘em. Don’t mind Oasis either. Really interesting seeing how many tracks that I like are cropping up! I’d do a tally if I could be bothered....😂

I have played guitar on and off for around fifty years and additionally bass for the last three of four but:

I absolutely hate so called 'guitar music'.  Van Halen, Vai, Satch etc. etc. etc.  Total sh1te.  Noise.  Technique for technique sake.  That is my #1

#2 every song by the late Eva Cassidy

#3 modern female vocalists.  I have yet to hear one who can actually sing.  Screech yes but sing?  Well actually there is on, Mel C on the Bryan Adams song 'When you're gone'.  One swallow does not make a Summer........ 

'Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now' by Starship. One of the sadest band family trees to go from 'White Rabbit' to this absolute p!ss. 

'Yellow' by Coldplay. So bad it was named after the colour of p!ss. 

'Mull Of Kintyre' by Wings. Terrible dirge not worthy of a p!ss association. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've never heard of at least 95% of these, and am grateful for that! I did once encounter the infamous 'sex on fire' when I band I was in briefly had in their set. I listened to it once, played it once, and then quit. Absolute dross.

I haven't listened to the radio for decades, can't stand TV, drink in pubs that don't have piped music (I've walked out of places that do), so am able to avoid what counts as modern pop music. Reading through this thread confirms that I have not been missing anything.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

I don’t think anything on the list here counts as ‘modern pop music’, trust me FD if you think the stuff on here is bad, for the love of god never tune to radio 1

Anything post mid 70s is modern to me!

I only ever play music from my phone through my car's stereo, I have never used the radio in the last few cars I've owned.

15 hours ago, Richard R said:

It was my son's wedding on Saturday. Fantastic day, and the band at the reception were cracking and had almost everyone on the dancefloor. They played Proud Mary, and as you said, everyone seemed to go mad for it. It's a perfectly good CCR song, if you like CCR, but playing it at 900 bpm as a hardcore dance track just wrecks it. 

Bemused of Solihull 

The CCR version somehow manages to be even worse to my ears than the Tina Turner version, which is awful in itself.

The Tina Turner version is the one we do and as soon as it changes from slow to the faster bit suddenly the dancefloor is full of women rolling their arms down the imaginary river.

Three songs I can't bear to listen to again are 'Maria' by Blondie, 'When You're Gone' by Bryan Adams/Mel C and 'Let Me Entertain You' by Robbie Sodding Williams.

Why? At the risk of sounding like one of the four Yorkshiremen, I endured a miserable six month stint working in a factory for over 12 hours a day for tuppence ha'penny an hour. A local radio station was blasted throughout the factory and it was one of those really shitty ones that only seem to have about a dozen songs. These three bloody tunes would be played at least three times a day. If I hear them now, I'm back there in that hell.

• Like 1

Rethinking my topics, I would probably swap any song (apart from oasis) if I could get rid of any tune which is a cover of another known song played slowly with some whispy woman singing the words in a sad way (and taking all the emotions out of it). And yes, I am being gender specific here, as both 'running up that hill' by placebo and 'hurt' by johnny cash would fall into the same group but actually work.

• Like 1

I think the common denominator here is that if you were subjected to any particular song that you were not keen on to begin  with for a sustained period, then you grew to hate it. Even quite good songs can become hated if you are force fed them too much. My own period of this hell was back in the 80's and 90's when video juke boxes were all the rage. Dancing in the dark, Money for nothing, walk of life, Road to nowhere are all songs that make me cringe outwardly, as they were constantly on whenever I went out to the local for a pint

• Like 1

Think it’s fair to say that the majority of songs mentioned previously that people would gladly never hear again are pop / chart ones that have been played to death on the radio and by covers bands. I think that if it had been the same for a lot of the music people seem to prefer on here (rock, metal, album tracks )then maybe the outcome would have been the same. Certainly would be for me....😅

On 30/09/2019 at 12:44, NancyJohnson said:

There are many, many, many songs.  Way more than three.  Thing is, this country is/was a sucker for a gimmick 7", alwys has been, be it The St Winifred's School Choir or Clive Dunn or Terry Wogan (or any other singing DJs or actors who release music. be it David Soul or the bloke from Minder, or Windsor Davies and Don Estelle) or Mr Blobby or Benny Hill or The Tweets or the forking Simon Park Orchestra.

I listen to a lot of BBC Berkshire and their limited playlist; I'm dreading the time when they play Stop The Cavalry again and again and again and again and zzzzzz.

I assumed novelty records were automatically included/excluded from the list. 😂

I immediately thought of the Ronan Keeting version of 'Fairytale of New York' - and then realized there is no other song that makes me want to kill and maim as much as this. So it's a list of one.

He's truly awful on it, but when the girl starts singing it sinks to unfathomable depths.

Still like the original though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1