Why become a member? ×

The 3 Songs You Never Want To Hear Again - Ever

Chezz55

My three. 

Classic. Adrian Gurvitz. The most mangled lyrics ever foisted on the English language throughout all of eternity. 

Hi Ho Silver Lining. The perfect song to empty the party and get the punters out at closing time. 

Mustang Sally. Beloved of drunk mums and dads everywhere. Despised by all other sentient life forms. 

But what surprises me is that, 5 pages in, we've had no Morrissey numbers on here. You guys disappoint me sometimes. actually,  I absolutely adore the Smiths but I know how marmite Mozza can be. I just expected better somehow. 

• Like 3

On 30/09/2019 at 16:22, uk_lefty said:

Hang on... "Peter Kaye" , Amarillo. It's annoying, as a song yes, but it's the cultural aspect that comes with it. For vast swathes of the British public it is the height of wit and something that sends them in to a fit of activity. "eeeee it's Amarilloooo!" they say as they get off their fat @rses, crisp crumbs dripping off them, and they jig around mouthing anything for the verses where they don't know the words, looking around with a vacant grin that is begging you to find them funny and be entertained by them, then they roar put the chorus.

Those that like this song and find it the pinnacle of wit, the party starting "choon", they are everything that is wrong with society. 

no doubt they voted fro brexit too

Here's a glimpse into my little corner of this abyss:

"Joy to the World" (1970/71), by Three Dog Night. I managed to get through the first three decades of my life without hearing this song. I think of those as “the lucky years”.

"I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)" (1993), by Meat Loaf. I had a mate whose girlfriend loved this song. To indulge her, he’d turn up the car radio and she’d sing along. After two weeks with the song at number one in the charts, I hated the song. After three weeks, I hated the girlfriend. After four weeks, I hated the entire concept of human love. The fact that Mr. Blobby eventually downsized Mr. Loaf in the charts was a Pyrrhic victory, to say the least.

"Theme from M.A.S.H. (Suicide Is Painless)" (1992), by the Manic Street Preachers. I don’t care that it was for charity. I’m not feeling charitable. A Hi-NRG version of "Strange Fruit" would be less misjudged.

I need a drink.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AdrianP said:

My three. 

Classic. Adrian Gurvitz. The most mangled lyrics ever foisted on the English language throughout all of eternity. 

Hi Ho Silver Lining. The perfect song to empty the party and get the punters out at closing time. 

Mustang Sally. Beloved of drunk mums and dads everywhere. Despised by all other sentient life forms. 

But what surprises me is that, 5 pages in, we've had no Morrissey numbers on here. You guys disappoint me sometimes. actually,  I absolutely adore the Smiths but I know how marmite Mozza can be. I just expected better somehow. 

How did I forget Mustang Sally?, I change my three to be that x3, what a stinking pile of dogs eggs that song is

• Like 1

14 hours ago, redbandit599 said:

I immediately thought of the Ronan Keeting version of 'Fairytale of New York' - and then realized there is no other song that makes me want to kill and maim as much as this. So it's a list of one.

He's truly awful on it, but when the girl starts singing it sinks to unfathomable depths.

Still like the original though.

Didn’t realise he’d sung (?) this.

Now I’ve heard (as much as I could stand of) it I’m glad I didn’t.

Truly awful version.

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

Here's a glimpse into my little corner of this abyss:

"Joy to the World" (1970/71), by Three Dog Night. I managed to get through the first three decades of my life without hearing this song. I think of those as “the lucky years”.

"I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)" (1993), by Meat Loaf. I had a mate whose girlfriend loved this song. To indulge her, he’d turn up the car radio and she’d sing along. After two weeks with the song at number one in the charts, I hated the song. After three weeks, I hated the girlfriend. After four weeks, I hated the entire concept of human love. The fact that Mr. Blobby eventually downsized Mr. Loaf in the charts was a Pyrrhic victory, to say the least.

"Theme from M.A.S.H. (Suicide Is Painless)" (1992), by the Manic Street Preachers. I don’t care that it was for charity. I’m not feeling charitable. A Hi-NRG version of "Strange Fruit" would be less misjudged.

I need a drink.

I'm a fan of the Manics but that cover is bloody terrible.

My current 3 (I'm getting very intolerant as I get older and could make a much longer list!) would be

Summer of 69 - never liked it much

Hotel California - just heard it way too many times

Sweet Child o Mine - on my first listen of the album I commented that I didn't like that song much - 30 odd years later I still hear the damn thing every few days...aarrrgghh

On 01/10/2019 at 17:20, AdrianP said:

My three. 

I reckon that's 'cause The Smiths were traditionally the preserve of speccy students (even if we do work in advertising now,)and nobody outside of that demographic (or Mexico) has ever heard his solo nonsense so it never made it's way into the national consciousness like Amarillo or Tubthumping. You might hear Charming Man on BBC6 occasionally but nobody is screaming out for the Thursday night turn to do "Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice" down at the Grimthorpe WMC...

• Haha 1

How about an entire genre that makes me want to vomit?

Anything classified as metal in the vein of slayer, anthrax, Metallica etc.

And really anything with vocals that sound like the singer has lung or throat cancer...

Or stuff that requires constant use of double kick pedals.

Edited by bearhart74
  • Like 4