Why become a member? ×

The 3 Songs You Never Want To Hear Again - Ever

Chezz55

I will Survive is my all time top-of-the-list hate song.

Stairway to Heaven even though I love the Zep.  I used to play with a guitarist who couldn't help himself but play this every practice.

Believe by Cher.  Literally anything by Cher could jump into my list.

I don't like rap so I could have filled the list with rap songs, but then I don't know any song titles!

Peace

Davo

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bass Culture said:

3 pages and no one's mentioned 'Stairway to f**king Heaven' yet?  What's wrong with you people?  It's like you never been into a guitar shop in the late 70's/80's!

You know, in my near 40 years of playing I’m not sure I’ve ever heard anyone playing Stairway in a guitar shop. Thankfully, it therefore retains its status as my favourite Zep track. Smoke on the Water, however, I’ve heard a thousand times. Still hasn’t managed to spoil it though. 😉

55 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Street Spirit is one of my favourite songs of all time. But Radiohead are one of my favourite bands. 😉

All very interesting this. Just shows how different we all are, as expected.

Yeah, it's all subjective.  I'm not saying it's a bad song per se and I know it's held in high regard.  They're a good band and I love "Just" and a few other of their tunes, but I just can't abide slow, quiet music.  Maybe it's because I'm a pretty laid back* guy or from the MTV generation or something, but I need stuff that's fast and dynamic with lots of changes to get my blood up a bit.  If it's slow and sticks on the same section for too long I get wound up by it and lose interest.

*lazy

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

Summer of 69

Alexandra Burke's version of Hallelujah

60% of the Beatles output, but for this exercise I'll go for Yesterday.

You can say that again! 

😃

Edited by Unknown_User

Seasons in the Sun By Terry Jacks - yeah, that's just what the world needs, some grim dirge about dying. When it hits the key change is where the real pain starts...

Angelo by the Brotherhood of Man - sub ABBA cheesy dross in horrible nylon flared trousers.

Anything by Iron Maiden - get in the sea with your skreetchy widdly-widdly cliche ridden vomit inducing 80's NWOBHM drivel.

• Like 1

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division. Massively overrated, not half as good as some of their output.

Highway To Hell - AC/DC. I play in a covers band and this lot get called for all the time, drives me mad as I can't stand them and have to play this dirge.

Summer of 69 - Bryan Adams. Bloke in my local puts this on the jukebox every time he's in there without fail. I will eventually take an axe to either the jukebox or him. Or both.

54 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

Yeah, it's all subjective.  I'm not saying it's a bad song per se and I know it's held in high regard.  They're a good band and I love "Just" and a few other of their tunes, but I just can't abide slow, quiet music.  Maybe it's because I'm a pretty laid back* guy or from the MTV generation or something, but I need stuff that's fast and dynamic with lots of changes to get my blood up a bit.  If it's slow and sticks on the same section for too long I get wound up by it and lose interest.

*lazy

You can say that again! 

😃

My phone agreed with me so double posted :D

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, JellyKnees said:

Seasons in the Sun By Terry Jacks - yeah, that's just what the world needs, some grim dirge about dying. When it hits the key change is where the real pain starts...

I hate that. but not for the song specifically, when I was a kid, I fitted my dads first car cassette player in the cortina. That was the only tape in the car. It has stayed with me.

So then anything by oasis. Can't bear them (and have a ban on playing them in my group), but I guess if I had to pick one (which is hard), it would have to be wonderwall. Which actually sounds like it was supposed to be sung by drunk people in pubs.

For playing I would say dakota, there has never been such a dirge, but as this is about listening and it is the time of year and I have already had arguments on this one, I would say top of all the list has to be the Slade Christmas song. If I never heard that again in my life it would be wonderful.

Hang on... "Peter Kaye" , Amarillo. It's annoying, as a song yes, but it's the cultural aspect that comes with it. For vast swathes of the British public it is the height of wit and something that sends them in to a fit of activity. "eeeee it's Amarilloooo!" they say as they get off their fat @rses, crisp crumbs dripping off them, and they jig around mouthing anything for the verses where they don't know the words, looking around with a vacant grin that is begging you to find them funny and be entertained by them, then they roar put the chorus.

Those that like this song and find it the pinnacle of wit, the party starting "choon", they are everything that is wrong with society. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JellyKnees said:

Angelo by the Brotherhood of Man - sub ABBA cheesy dross in horrible nylon flared trousers.

Anything by Iron Maiden - get in the sea with your skreetchy widdly-widdly cliche ridden vomit inducing 80's NWOBHM drivel.

Terry Jack's SITS - how could I forget that dirge? Even as an energetic young teenager it did make one want to slit one's wrists.

• Like 2

Hey Jude, just the thought of that boring boring terminally long ending makes me turn off the Radio

Horse with no name by America, the lyric "cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain" why on earth is "for" in there? apart from to annoy the hell out of me

Penny Arcade by Roy Orbison, sounds like a 3rd rate Eurovision song entry from the 60's

There are loads more of course, these 3 spring to mind

1. There must be an angel - Eurythmics

2. The tide is high - Blondie

3. The Winner takes it all - Abba

It's probably no coincidence that these 3 songs still get a load of radio airplay,  which may suggest that the great British public still love them. If so, this is something I cannot begin to comprehend.  When any of these songs are played, I immediately change channel.  It's not that they hold any meaning or connection for me, its purely on a musical or tonal level I find them intensely irritating. 

Worse still, all 3 of the above artistes have far better songs in their repertoire (imho) that get little or no airplay. 

Edited by Krysbass

5 hours ago, Unknown_User said:

Proud Mary is another contender from the set but for some reason people go mental for it, which has made me hate it less but I still can't listen to it.

It was my son's wedding on Saturday. Fantastic day, and the band at the reception were cracking and had almost everyone on the dancefloor. They played Proud Mary, and as you said, everyone seemed to go mad for it. It's a perfectly good CCR song, if you like CCR, but playing it at 900 bpm as a hardcore dance track just wrecks it. 

Bemused of Solihull