Why become a member? ×

The 3 Songs You Never Want To Hear Again - Ever

Chezz55

3 hours ago, 4000 said:

Don’t Fear the Reaper? God, I LOVE that song!

😉

Needs more cowbell though!

I have weirdly specific tastes, I'd happily go without anything that's ever been on top of the pop or in the top 40 kind of stuff.

• Like 1

That Jona Lewie  Cavalry thing rolled out every Christmas

Any Rap

Phil Collins' version of Groovy Kind of Love - why? I’m sure he sings a bum note, at least compared with the Mindbenders' version.

Edited by Baxlin

10 hours ago, 4000 said:
10 hours ago, Richard R said:

Don’t Fear the Reaper? God, I LOVE that song!

Lots of people do, and I understand why, it just annoys me. I quite like Walk of Life, which seems to be a minority opinion too. But then I haven't heard many cover versions 😁

I'm struggling to condense the number of songs that I truly hate with a passion down to 3, so many spring to mind. But a few that have unequivocally earned their place as the most nauseous noises ever made include; 

Fairground by Simply Red. Words cannot truly convey the extent of my loathing for it. I can't stand anything that SR ever recorded but this is unquestionably the biggest stool, among many many others, squeezed out by that ginger tosser. 

I will always love you by Whiney Houston. It just makes my ears bleed. 

Come on Eileen has already been mentioned, and rightly so. 

That so called 80's anthem of the working man, it starts with a steady snare crack followed the melody line played on a £20 Casio keyboard from Argos, then Springsteen's laryngitic wail starts to defaecate over the top, Baaaarrrrrrrn inna you essay. How does a third rate pub singer go on to be so huge for so long? Wrong in every conceivable way. 

Edited by Osiris
Because I can't spell.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Galway Girl by Ed Sheeran yet. It's as though he got that godawful B*Witched song from 20 years ago and somehow made it worse. Much worse. Why do Irish girls in songs alwasy come from Galway?? it's really not that big a place. And why oh why does it have that diddly-dee breakdown in the middle??

• Like 2

Pretty much anything played on the radio. Pick any three tunes at random and chances are I'll dislike them 😊.  But despite these I'll have to give the top/bottom three placings to

+1 for the Archers theme   -  also mainly for the subsequent 14.32 minutes

Also the theme tunes to Eastenders and Coronation Street. Now, I have a pathological loathing of soaps and fail to see why anyone would choose to watch such pointless, depressing, witless trash.

17 hours ago, oZZma said:

Only 3? How tolerant of you

That was my first thought as well - it's made it quite difficult to choose! And I'm sure my three worst offenders will change over time, as popular songs fall out of favour, and more terrible piles of shyte splatter down on us unsuspecting buggers below, but as of this morning, I'm going with:

Uptown Funk by Bruno Mars. (IT HAS NO TUNE. A vaguely funky horn riff doth not an entire song make.)

Wonderwall / Don't Look Back in Anger by Oasis. (I'm allowing myself a joint entry for this one, because ten-year-old me, hearing them on the radio around the time that album came out, genuinely believed they were the same song.)

Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Pillocks. (It's not just that Kevin Rowland's slack-throated yelp is annoying, it's just that he seems to have inspired a legion of indie singers to mimic his style in a way that invariably sounds like a transparently affected grab for "authenticity." As patient zero, my condemnation falls squarely in his court.)

• Like 1

Don't Look Back in Anger by Oasis - BORING!  Plus the bass is so tedious to play.  I can't decide if the bass player out of Oasis has the cushiest or the most soul destroying gig in musicdom.  Champagne Supernova is another one by them that winds me up as soon as it comes on.

Summer of '69 by Brian Adams - Unfortunately this is my covers band's set.  *uncurls toes*  Proud Mary is another contender from the set but for some reason people go mental for it, which has made me hate it less but I still can't listen to it.

Street Spirit by Radiohead - Stop whining for goodness sake!  After about 20 seconds of it I want to scream "This is so boring and taking forever!"  If I ever got imprisoned by the US war machine in Gitmo or another of their torture sites like Belmarsh or wherever, then they'd just need to play that song through once and I'd be psychologically broken before the chorus that I presume there must be somewhere in there.

There are many, many, many songs.  Way more than three.  Thing is, this country is/was a sucker for a gimmick 7", alwys has been, be it The St Winifred's School Choir or Clive Dunn or Terry Wogan (or any other singing DJs or actors who release music. be it David Soul or the bloke from Minder, or Windsor Davies and Don Estelle) or Mr Blobby or Benny Hill or The Tweets or the forking Simon Park Orchestra.

I listen to a lot of BBC Berkshire and their limited playlist; I'm dreading the time when they play Stop The Cavalry again and again and again and again and zzzzzz.

21 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Shotgun, just bugs me, 500 miles or whatever the proclaimers rubbish is called and play that funky music, that one after a band member tried to force it on the band, so it now it just irritates me when I hear it (and it was rubbish to start with).

Shotgun!!! My band asked me to play it. I'd never heard of it. I'm 35 so not "too old" I think, but I don't listen to the radio. Apparently it was a massive hit? Massive 5hit more like. I hate, hate, hate it. Its just dead wood, it's a drone, no dynamics, nothing clever in the music or lyrics, nothing exciting. But when we play it people like it so I kind of have to... 

Ship Called Dignity is a song that can get me in murderous rage. I'd rather eat the cubes out of a pub urinal. Luckily I have never had to play that in any band. 

Parklife by Blur is also a steaming turgid pile of sh!t that I have to play in my band and I hate it. I'm northern, maybe that's the root of the hatred of this song. But my band plays in Essex occasionally. So I guess that's why I have to grit my teeth and play it. Audiences like it. I don't. 

The only music station I listen to is Planet Rock because just very occasionally I'll hear some peach of a toon that doesn't get aired much.  The last time was a Clutch track about 5 weeks ago. More often that not I'm bored rigid with the endless repetition of certain tracks by Rush, Kiss, Journey, Boston, Black Sabbath, Free, Heart etc etc. It's hard to pick on  just 3 but most certainly I'd have Alright Now,  I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night and Give It Away

1 hour ago, Unknown_User said:

Don't Look Back in Anger by Oasis - BORING!  Plus the bass is so tedious to play.  I can't decide if the bass player out of Oasis has the cushiest or the most soul destroying gig in musicdom.  Champagne Supernova is another one by them that winds me up as soon as it comes on.

Summer of '69 by Brian Adams - Unfortunately this is my covers band's set.  *uncurls toes*  Proud Mary is another contender from the set but for some reason people go mental for it, which has made me hate it less but I still can't listen to it.

Street Spirit by Radiohead - Stop whining for goodness sake!  After about 20 seconds of it I want to scream "This is so boring and taking forever!"  If I ever got imprisoned by the US war machine in Gitmo or another of their torture sites like Belmarsh or wherever, then they'd just need to play that song through once and I'd be psychologically broken before the chorus that I presume there must be somewhere in there.

Street Spirit is one of my favourite songs of all time. But Radiohead are one of my favourite bands. 😉

All very interesting this. Just shows how different we all are, as expected.

30 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Parklife by Blur is also a steaming turgid pile of sh!t that I have to play in my band and I hate it. I'm northern, maybe that's the root of the hatred of this song. But my band plays in Essex occasionally. So I guess that's why I have to grit my teeth and play it. Audiences like it. I don't. 

You know, I never considered that could be why I don’t like Blur, being Northern too.😉😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bass Culture said:

3 pages and no one's mentioned 'Stairway to f**king Heaven' yet?  What's wrong with you people?  It's like you never been into a guitar shop in the late 70's/80's!

Damn you! That's years of therapy thrown away in a moment!!!