Why become a member? ×

Earplugs - long term issues

warwickhunt

I've worn ear plugs for over 10 years; started with rubberised preformed ones (a step up from foam) but moved on about 6 years ago to proper moulded to my ear jobbies with attenuating filters.  

I've noticed recently that I'm perceiving that there seems to be a bit more volume getting through than I remember there being previously.  I don't think the bands I'm playing with are getting louder and I'm not positioning myself any different, nor has any equipment changed significantly.  

I'm wondering if: 

1) my brain is processing the sound differently as I've used them for so long.

2) my ear canal is changing in shape and letting sound pass.

3) the plug is deforming.

4) the attenuating part is deteriorating.

Anyone else had this experience or could offer insight?  I am considering getting fitted for new plugs btw.

The ear canal and surrounding tissues can shrink/change shape over time, all part of the ageing process, unfortunately! If you've got 6 years out of them, I would have thought that's pretty good going. I had some ER15s that lasted about the same length of time before they started exhibiting similar symptoms. They also seemed to harden slightly over time, so when the ear canal changes shape when you sing or even open your mouth (well, mine do, anyway) they were less flexible and gaps tended to open up. Maybe time for a new pair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warwickhunt said:

I've worn ear plugs for over 10 years; started with rubberised preformed ones (a step up from foam) but moved on about 6 years ago to proper moulded to my ear jobbies with attenuating filters.  

I've noticed recently that I'm perceiving that there seems to be a bit more volume getting through than I remember there being previously.  I don't think the bands I'm playing with are getting louder and I'm not positioning myself any different, nor has any equipment changed significantly.  

I'm wondering if: 

1) my brain is processing the sound differently as I've used them for so long.

2) my ear canal is changing in shape and letting sound pass.

3) the plug is deforming.

4) the attenuating part is deteriorating.

Anyone else had this experience or could offer insight?  I am considering getting fitted for new plugs btw.

My audiologist told me that especially with moulded ear plugs, they should be remade every four years. This is because your ears (canals etc) do change shape and size.

Some brands of filter are more susceptible to damp (sweat etc) so it would be wise to maybe get fresh filters when you get new plugs.

In the short term you can use a gel to help keep an airtight seal - Yes, KY Jelly is your friend! 

• Like 2

I've got 2 year old ACS PRO26's for my loudest bands and still use my 12 year old ACS ER15 plugs for the quieter bands. I've replaced the ER15 filters several times. According to ACS the ER15's should have been replaced after 5 years but they still seem to be effective so I'm continuing to use them. 

I've noticed that when I put my plugs in the area that I'm pushing includes the outside/face of the filter. I guess overtime oils from my fingers will get into the filters and make them less effective.

9 hours ago, Dood said:

My audiologist told me that especially with moulded ear plugs, they should be remade every four years. This is because your ears (canals etc) do change shape and size.

Some brands of filter are more susceptible to damp (sweat etc) so it would be wise to maybe get fresh filters when you get new plugs.

In the short term you can use a gel to help keep an airtight seal - Yes, KY Jelly is your friend! 

You're quite right, Dood. I discovered I had run out of the 'ear ease' gel for my ACS IEMs just as I was loading up to head off for a string of dates during the summer. In desperation, I grabbed a dispenser of, err, 'intimate lubricant' from the bedside cabinet. It works a treat, and my ears don't even get stiff! Sadly, not much apart from my joints does at my age... 😞

• Haha 2