Why become a member? ×

Kiwi's collection

Kiwi

Do you mean the string mutes? Yes, all three bridges have mutes on them :) I usually keep them wound down tightly. The Cutlass II still has the original sponge bits on although they're a bit stiff now. They were gooey, sticky black lumps on the other two.

• 5 months later...

Yeah, its not bad for a spalted top, this Spector has a much less scooped sound than the Smiths, it could be a serious contender for replacement as in someways its easier to hear on stage and just as growly. Adding the u-retro was a good thing too - the mids are nice and controllable. However the body does feel cramped on my rather generous frame and my Shuker is supposed to be finished by next weekend...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='304399' date='Oct 11 2008, 02:07 PM']Wow! Counting down the days, eh? Best of luck with that one!

Rich.[/quote]
Cheers Rich, counting down the days but not holding my breath. :) I told Jon I needed the bass for a TV appearance!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='304396' date='Oct 11 2008, 01:53 PM']Yeah, its not bad for a spalted top, this Spector has a much less scooped sound than the Smiths, it could be a serious contender for replacement as in someways its easier to hear on stage and just as growly. Adding the u-retro was a good thing too - the mids are nice and controllable. However the body does feel cramped on my rather generous frame and my Shuker is supposed to be finished by next weekend...[/quote]

That's odd, every example I've ever heard of Smith in action have always been ones that display the very growly yet punchy tone which is their main associated tone, they are a favourite of many Gospel players, so that Spector must be pretty damn good if it can out do your Smiths Steve!

Well the funny thing is Josh that with the u-retro installed I can get a pretty good fascimile of a Smith bass IF I dial a lot of the mids out using the mid-sweep control. Same levels of growl in both instruments to my ears but the Smith 5 still sounds fuller though. No question in my mind that the Spector Euro, if you can get one for a reasonable price, is better value for a gigging instrument with everything else being equal. The Smith has slightly better build quality than the Spector Euro and the Smiths do have a very distinctive tone which is why I got them. :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='304459' date='Oct 11 2008, 04:50 PM']Well the funny thing is Josh that with the u-retro installed I can get a pretty good fascimile of a Smith bass IF I dial a lot of the mids out using the mid-sweep control. Same levels of growl in both instruments to my ears but the Smith 5 still sounds fuller though. No question in my mind that the Spector Euro, if you can get one for a reasonable price, is better value for a gigging instrument with everything else being equal. The Smith has slightly better build quality than the Spector Euro and the Smiths do have a very distinctive tone which is why I got them. :)[/quote]

Smiths are amazing, alongside a Thumb NT 4 string, your 5 string and your old 6 string are the only basses I actually get mild gas for. Also, I'm getting my old Spector Euro 4 back next week and I'm really looking foward to how it'll fair against the MTD's, I may be in for a pleasent suprise oing by your experience.

I guess its all a question of taste. I've gigged both and felt the Spector was definitely drier sounding and easier to hear in the mix. The Smiths are very refined and a little chocolatier by comparison. They're also superb recording instruments and great in a small group but I've always had to contend with the scooped sound they have while playing in a larger band (and particularly battling against percussion) so the Spector's slightly more aggressive sound does punch through the mix a little better. I don't really need a lot of low end for our gigs because we play a lot of small venues and the boom can be overwhelming on stage. Having said that, the soundman does keep asking me to turn up when I play the Spector. He usually expects to be hit in the chest by the warmth of the Smiths when I play through the PA...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='304467' date='Oct 11 2008, 05:01 PM']I guess its all a question of taste. I've gigged both and felt the Spector was definitely drier sounding and easier to hear in the mix. The Smiths are very refined and a little chocolatier by comparison. They're also superb recording instruments and great in a small group but I've always had to contend with the scooped sound they have while playing in a larger band (and particularly battling against percussion) so the Spector's slightly more aggressive sound does punch through the mix a little better. I don't really need a lot of low end for our gigs because we play a lot of small venues and the boom can be overwhelming on stage. Having said that, the soundman does keep asking me to turn up when I play the Spector. He usually expects to be hit in the chest by the warmth of the Smiths when I play through the PA...[/quote]

Are you mildly thinking about moving one of your Smiths on then Steve?

Well if I don't get a permenant job before Christmas or I do get a permanent job but have to relocate overseas then I'm going to be facing a sell off of one kind or another just to reduce the storage or shipping costs and maybe raise some cash. If the Shuker headless 6 works out, the Smiths would be relatively easy to replace so I'd consider selling both and the Spector for the right price, perhaps also the Pentabuzz and the V8 too but the Alembic, Celinders and Stingray would be staying as workhorse instruments. Not sure about the Cutlasses yet, I keep vascillating over them whenever I think about options.

In fact the whole prospect is a bit of a knee trembler to be honest.

EDIT: The 5 string headless project is still going although progress is a little slower than I was hoping. So I wouldn't end up necessarily without 5 string fretted and fretless instruments in the medium term...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='304481' date='Oct 11 2008, 05:27 PM']Well if I don't get a permenant job before Christmas or I do get a permanent job but have to relocate overseas then I'm going to be facing a sell off of one kind or another just to reduce the storage or shipping costs and maybe raise some cash. If the Shuker headless 6 works out, the Smiths would be relatively easy to replace so I'd consider selling both and the Spector for the right price, perhaps also the Pentabuzz and the V8 too but the Alembic, Celinders and Stingray would be staying as workhorse instruments. Not sure about the Cutlasses yet, I keep vascillating over them whenever I think about options.[/quote]

I'll "Hopefully" be saving for a car by the time you possibly list it up so I'll be saving myself from temptation in it's worst form. But is the fretless still fairing ok or is that even taking a mild beating from another bass?

Hehe, the Pentabuzz and Smith 5 fretless are both very different instruments so its probably not fair to compare them to one another.

Playing the Pentabuzz is a magical, almost surreal experience at performance volumes when the feedback effect starts up. The bass literally feels alive, like its playing itself, and the most dreamy sound comes out of it. But I can't use it for every song. Sometimes I've needed a more polite and warmer sounding instrument and the Smith 5 does the job nicely but the Pentabuzz still plays like butter. I can get the action almost as low as Ped's Vigier.

I only needed matching fretted and fretless instruments for my last band which split up 18 months ago, so I don't really play the Smith 5 fretless that much any more.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='304486' date='Oct 11 2008, 05:41 PM']Hehe, the Pentabuzz and Smith 5 fretless are both very different instruments so its probably not fair to compare them to one another.

Playing the Pentabuzz is a magical, almost surreal experience at performance volumes when the feedback effect starts up. The bass literally feels alive, like its playing itself, and the most dreamy sound comes out of it. But I can't use it for every song. Sometimes I've needed a more polite and warmer sounding instrument and the Smith 5 does the job nicely. Having said that, I only needed matching fretted and fretless instruments for my last band which split up 18 months ago, so I don't really play the Smith 5 fretless that much any more.[/quote]

If your Pentabuzz sounds anything like Jeff Schmidt's then it is the best fretless sound I've ever heard, so clear and so much mwwwwwahhhh it's almost criminal. And you've got the perfect amp as well so it probally sounds even better.

[quote name='Josh' post='304489' date='Oct 11 2008, 05:46 PM']If your Pentabuzz sounds anything like Jeff Schmidt's then it is the best fretless sound I've ever heard, so clear and so much mwwwwwahhhh it's almost criminal. And you've got the perfect amp as well so it probally sounds even better.[/quote]
Funnily enough I haven't actually had a chance to try the Pentabuzz with the Shuttle yet as I've loaned the bass to a fellow basschatter for the last few months. However hopefully it will be coming back home next week when I visit Mr Shuker so I'll be able to give it a blast after then. I think the wedge shaped GK combo I used to use made it easy to generate that feedback effect because I could stand directly in the cone of projection radiating out from the speaker.

Crikey if you (or anyone else for that matter of fact) ever decided to get rid of that Cutlass 1 I'd crawl over broken glass to get it! I missed out on getting one a few years ago (actually it might have been another one you sold at the Bass centre if memory serves??? I'm getting old) decided to get my Gibson instead and I've always regretted not snaffling both!