Why become a member? ×

Kiwi's collection

Kiwi

Here's my motley lot, although if any of you have accessed my [url="http://www.freewebs.com/crazykiwi_bass/mybasses.htm"]website [/url]there probably won't be anything you haven't seen already.

Anyways, to start off with this is my trio of Smith BSR-GN basses.

I like them because they're well made, warm, growly and supple to play. I originally bought the fretted 5 string from the Bass Palace (now out of business) in 2003 and they got it in a trade from The Low End in Tennesee as NOS. It was a bit of an epiphanic experience to see this bass when I collected it in Hong Kong - couldn't wait to get it back to the UK and plug it in. Sound wise its very warm, growly and has a crisp but not overly bright top end. I've recorded with this bass and it sounds near perfect going into the desk - very phat and growly. The neck is made from a 5 piece laminate of maple and bubinga with graphite reinforcing and an ebony fingerboard. The body wings are made with maple facings front and back on a mahogany core. The pickups and 3 band 9v preamp are kens own brand as is the hardware apart from the tuners which are Schaller M4's.

For a long time after getting the fretted, I'd been looking for a matching fretless. Then last year, after faffing about with Modulus and Pedulla, I spotted a fretless 5 at BassNW and pretty much bought it on impulse. I did worry that the differences in body wood might mean tonal differences too, but they weren't significant enough at performance volumes for me to worry about. So now I have a pair of fretted and fretless basses that I can swap interchangably mid set without needing to faff with the eq on the amp or on the desk. The neck is the same maple and bubinga 5 piece laminate with ebony fingerboard as for the fretted 5 and the body wings are plain black walnut over flamed maple core. Compared to the fretted 5 its got a little bit more upper mid growl. The preamp is 18v on this one with series/parallel switches and mid preset DIP switches inside the cavity, in addition to the 3 band eq.

I got the Smith 6 in 2004 after I sold my house in Plymouth. Compared to the 5's, this bass is a little more even sounding across the strings. The high end on this 6 is particularly sweet - it reminds me of a flamenco guitar. Shame I don't have the skills to really put it through its paces, so its more of a toy than anything. The neck is again the maple/bubinga laminate with a black walnut core on the body wings and quilted maple facings. Everything else is the same specification as the fretted 5.

Next trio is my collection of "trad" 4 strings

In the middle is a Celinder Update 4, bought from Flanker, it was made in 1998 for Thomas Skarbye. I bought this bass in preference to a genuine 70's jazz bass. The Celinder is better made, better designed and sounds just as good if not a bit better thanks to the preamp. Soundwise, its about as close to the sound of Marcus Millers bass as I have ever heard - huge lows, crisp highs and a compressed upper mid range. The neck is made from maple (one piece with graphite reinforcement and maple fingerboard) and a danish ash body, lindy fralin pickups, Aguilar OBP-1 preamp and a Badass bridge.

To the left is my 1978 Musicman Stingray. I bought this off Ebay with a mutilated body, and last year managed to score a matchingly mojo'd 77 body off Ebay which matches the neck almost perfectly. I wasn't too impressed with the sound at first because it sounded a little lifeless but after about 6 months it all sort of settled down and sounds as good as I think its possible for a stingray to sound. Its got warmth, bark, growl and attack in spades.

To the right is a 1984 or 1979 Musicman Cutlass 1. I'm giving two dates because the body has a 1979 date and serial number whereas the neck has a 1984 date. To add to the mystery, the neck has a factory fitted three bolt neck where most Cutlass basses have 4 bolt necks. In fact, this bass was made for Cliff Williams from AC/DC as an 'artist special'. Tone wise its like a Stingray but with a slightly deeper, harder sound less growl but more oomph. I've got a case for it with Cliff's home address but as yet haven't had any confirmation letter from him :)

Now for the single shots :huh:

This is my Alembic Series 1. Alembics are idiosyncratic instruments at the best of times but I've always wanted to own one. I did own an Elan 6 for a while which I bought off Ped but it was really heavy and dark sounding so I sold it. The Series basses really are in a class of their own with a very distinctive, full but crisp sound (and growly depending on how much maple is in the construction) plus for extra w*** factor they're stereo :huh:. The bass is pretty much a swiss army knife of tone with a huge variety of tones available using the onboard Q filters. Probably what is most unusual is the graphite through body neck which probably makes it 1/50 ever made (maybe even fewer in long scale). The body is chambered and made from a core of mahogany with facings of lightly flamed walnut. This bass also has a bit of history having been owned by a number of well known Canadian session musicians, including Hugh MacMillan from Spirit of the West.

This bass is a Jaydee Supernatural Mark King, it was made in 1985 and features mahogany wings, maple/walnut centre section with a glue in walnut and mahogany neck. It's pretty typical of its type but this was my first decent bass which I bought in 1991 after working two dead end jobs and saving enough to afford it. I placed an ad in UK Guitar magazine and the seller was located in Bournemouth. He was a teacher/player and was upgrading to 5 string Warwicks. Its got a very bright sound with a strong mid-emphasis and not as much warmth as my musicman basses. Because I played it exclusively for 12 years, its still the bass I'm probably most comfortable on. As for all of my other basses (apart from the Cutlass maybe) I can get super low action on this bass however the neck does need a twice yearly adjustment as we go from summer to winter and back again. Usually its just a quarter turn on the truss rod.

Finally this is possibly the most amazing fretless I've ever owned. I bought it from vmaxblues via ebay and sold him back the bartolini pickups after replacing them with Alembic Activators. This bass has a poly (ie "diamondkote") finished ebony fingerboard and the neck is reinforced with steel bars so I'm able to get a super low action. The change in pickups freed up the mid range considerably and added some much needed crystal clarity which really lets the singing tone shine. With stereo chorus its lush. The bass is all maple which does give it a very bright and punchy character. There's not a lot of fullness to the B string but the Alembic pickups through a neutral sounding amp let lows thunder forth if needed. This mid range mwah is astounding and with my GK amps I can set up a mild feedback effect at performance volumes which makes the bass literally feel like its alive and has a mind of its own.

I had to go in to your website to look at the jaydee, Love the sound clips and ithe jaydee does sound lovely... I do love that jaydee but they have allways been a favorite of mine. I have played a couple but never owned one! What a great collection!

Oh my!

What job do you do?

Because I'd quite like to abduct you and parcel crate you to Guatemala while I discretely fill your position.

the paul.

nice basses! Just don't think about bass A that you'd sell for bass B that you'd buy - it'll drive you puddles.

[quote name='Sugden' post='2629' date='May 20 2007, 01:45 AM']You do have an outstanding collection. But i have to say that pedulla is one of the best basses i have played when i had a quick go at the bash i thought it sounded stunning.

Pretty damn good player as well, nice clips.[/quote]
Thanks! I just bashed something into the computer, I didn't have a lot of time to faff about. The Pedulla's pretty special, I hope I never have to sell it because it would probably have to go before the Smith fretless, unless I stop using fretted and fretless together live.

[quote name='paul, the' post='2619' date='May 20 2007, 01:24 AM']What job do you do?

Because I'd quite like to abduct you and parcel crate you to Guatemala while I discretely fill your position.[/quote]
Im an urban designer - well, I manage an urban design team who oversee a lot of significant projects in London. And who was it who said 'be careful what you wish for because you might just get it'? :) My job can be politically complicated at times but it has certain compensations and I manage the salary I get carefully.

[quote name='paul, the' post='2619' date='May 20 2007, 01:24 AM']nice basses! Just don't think about bass A that you'd sell for bass B that you'd buy - it'll drive you puddles.[/quote]
Well, tbh, I'm kind of happy with the combination I have. The Smith 5's, Celinder and Stingray will cover most of the musical situations I'm likely to encounter. There aren't too many other basses out there I'm lusting after... ...although I do like the Status Stealth basses and Rob's offered to do something a little special for me at some point :huh: The AGC basses are also very, very nice sounding.

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='3691' date='May 21 2007, 03:41 PM']Kiwi, i bet if you sold off that collection you could buy a small house![/quote]
Not in London, mate :huh:

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='3691' date='May 21 2007, 03:41 PM']Nice collection, would love to get my hands on your Smiths at some point, never had the pleasure of trying them....[/quote]
You're in Windsor, jump on a train to Richmond and catch a tube to Stamford Brook. :)

[quote name='BeLow' post='2705' date='May 20 2007, 09:10 AM']CK - they all look good - Jaydee looks mint - they are classics[/quote]
Its had a repair or two in its life but nothing that John says would affect its value.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='3790' date='May 21 2007, 05:45 PM']Not in London, mate :huh:
You're in Windsor, jump on a train to Richmond and catch a tube to Stamford Brook. :)[/quote]

Crikey, I didnt realise you where that close - will have to arrange a jam/beer at some point soon mr Kiwi...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='2649' date='May 20 2007, 02:21 AM']Im an urban designer - well, I manage an urban design team who oversee a lot of significant projects in London. And who was it who said 'be careful what you wish for because you might just get it'? :) My job can be politically complicated at times but it has certain compensations and I manage the salary I get carefully.[/quote]

Wow, that sounds like a great place to be; modern, creative. Evidently all kinds of rewarding too.

Nice one!

[quote name='paul, the' post='4769' date='May 22 2007, 11:58 PM']Wow, that sounds like a great place to be; modern, creative. Evidently all kinds of rewarding too.[/quote]

Its kind of rewarding in the sense of having incredibly complicated problems to solve because I'm dealing with time and politics as well as the usual 3 dimensions.

Oh dear Steve, the Smith 6 has done it again...! Its awesome!!! :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: I want one!

Must let me know when the next bash is...BassChat Bash? Doesn't have the same ring as BassWorld Bash haha, oh well!? I will bring my full Tracey stack for you to use, for the 'Mark King' experience with the JD Supernatural!! I must get a lift this time!! haha, I may even be driving by then :huh: :)

Edited by overwater#1

• 2 months later...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='40300' date='Aug 2 2007, 08:28 AM']Hey CW, love your collection, especially the JayDee & Alembic. It was also very interesting to read about the history of all the instruments on your site. Pardon my ignorance, but are the Smith basses UK made? Listening to the sound clips, the 5-stringer sounds very Status-esque :)[/quote]

CW? Does that stand for Crazywiwi? :huh:

The Smiths are made in the US - Perkasie, Pennsylvania and you can read more about them here:

www.kensmithbasses.com

The Smith does sound Status-like with some eq settings and I think this might be due to the pickup placement more than anything. I think that's probably the only thing that the two instruments otherwise have in common. :huh: