Why become a member? ×

A bass for bluegrass...

Bafflegab

Hey folks

I feel like getting into playing bluegrass, as I’ve always been a lover of it, just haven’t got around to trying it out really.

Obviously an upright bass would be ideal but since I’m a short chap at 5’ 5” it might be a bit big.  Would a 1/2 or 3/4 EUB fit the bill for that sort of music?  I’d love to try an upright to be honest, it looks like a load of fun, and more authentic for bluegrass stuff.

Alternatively is there anything like the kala u-bass but 30” scale out there?  My two bass guitars are 30” (short scale basses for a short scale man,) plus I’m easily confused in my old age and don’t fancy switching between scales too much on similar feeling instruments.

I guess could stick flats on one of my current bass guitars - would that get me close enough to the right tones?  But then that’s not as fun as new stuff... 🤣

What do you lot think?

Any bass with the right EQ will be fine, but that's not what you want to hear. 🙂

A 3/4 doublebass will fit you fine, I'm 6' and have the endpin out about 8 to 10" at a guess so mine with the endpin in more would be fine. An EUB would be OK but I've heard the bluegrass gang can be sticklers for tradition and beat you to death with a mandolin for turning up with an EUB, an F style mandolin that is, the same punishment is dished out for turning up with an A style mandolin. 

Seriously though a doublebass, EUB or good old Precision with flats (other basses with flats are available) will be suitable. Your size is no reason not play any of these and the scale length difference doesn't seem make much difference to me, I'll work out songs at home on a fretted P bass to play at rehearsal on 3/4 upright, as soon as you're playing one instrument or the other, you automatically adapt without thinking. 

The choice is yours but my favourite bit of advice given to me applies here I think; "If you want something, you'll find a way. If you don't want it, you'll find an excuse."

Best of luck with your decision. 👍

Edited by Maude
  • Like 2

Electro U-bass would go well, Kala, Pono......small rooms /practice go acoustic, or plug it in, fire it through pedals.....😀

I've got a fretlss Excelsior (made in Hampshire) sweet to play and sounds great through an amp.

Good strings are a real  pain to find, Aquila Blacks are the best I've found so far but give them a good dust with baby talc before fitting and they start to improve with age. Think it must be something to do with the compound or the extrusion process but Ubass 'E' strings tend to really bloody suck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bafflegab said:

Hey folks

I feel like getting into playing bluegrass, as I’ve always been a lover of it, just haven’t got around to trying it out really.

Obviously an upright bass would be ideal but since I’m a short chap at 5’ 5” it might be a bit big.  Would a 1/2 or 3/4 EUB fit the bill for that sort of music?  I’d love to try an upright to be honest, it looks like a load of fun, and more authentic for bluegrass stuff.

Alternatively is there anything like the kala u-bass but 30” scale out there?  My two bass guitars are 30” (short scale basses for a short scale man,) plus I’m easily confused in my old age and don’t fancy switching between scales too much on similar feeling instruments.

I guess could stick flats on one of my current bass guitars - would that get me close enough to the right tones?  But then that’s not as fun as new stuff... 🤣

What do you lot think?

I've seen one of these played live through an amp and it sounded good. Looks the part too. 

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1

I've heard too about the traditionalists who'll only listen to BG played on an acoustic double bass, but then I've looked on Talkbass and seen guys playing an NS Design EUB at country music awards and stuff, so it can't be that bad, maybe that was Nu-Grass?. If you really want to get into upright then an acoustic DB is the way to go, but if you haven't played one before you'd need to invest in some time to adapt your technique. As to instruments, as long as you get a usable sound I'd play whatever instrument you like, and if other people don't like it that's their problem. Get some flat wound strings such as La Bella Deep Talkin Bass strings & avoid rounds 😉

• Like 2

I also want to chime in and say that your height is no barrier to playing a double bass. I am 5’6” and do just fine with the endpin out about 6”. I have known two bass players of no taller than 5’ who played the living snot out of regular 3/4 sized double basses, so you’ll be grand. 

If you do go that route, do your research on the DB side, as a lot more is involved in buying an instrument, and learning to play it. Don’t think of it as a bass - you’re learning a new family of instrument, with its own pitfalls and challenges. But it’s also incredibly fun and rewarding. Good luck!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Len_derby said:

You're very welcome to come and have a go on my EUB. 

You haven't said where your're from. Surely nowhere is that embarrassing? I'm prepared to admit I live in Derby 😀

Haha!  I just forgot to update it.  I’m near Gloucester :) 

very kind offer, thanks!  If I was nearer I’d definitely take you up on it 

• Like 1

On 28/09/2019 at 22:39, Bafflegab said:

Hey folks

What do you lot think?

You could make something like this:

10268644_772208629578513_694356710524017

He makes acoustic basses (can be 'electrified' of course) out of standard bass necks and bass drums. They sound pretty good and they're actually easy to play.

You can find more on his facebook page. Search for "Kickass Bass" on facebook.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On the height issue, I'm just short of 5'11" and always played my DB with the end-pin out about 6" (bringing the nut in line with my eyebrows) until I joined a rockabilly band. 

Now I keep the end-pin all the way in and the bass is little more than resting on the ground. It took surprisingly little adjustment in my playing position to get used to it, and the DB is actually far more stable with the centre of gravity lowered in that way.

• Like 1

On 29/09/2019 at 22:32, Bafflegab said:

Haha!  I just forgot to update it.  I’m near Gloucester :) 

very kind offer, thanks!  If I was nearer I’d definitely take you up on it 

I'm just down the M5 in Bristol if you'd like to try a double bass or an EUB.

• Like 1