Why become a member? ×

In it for the money?

skidder652003

After a particularly awful gig last night (hardly anyone there, long drive, rubbish acoustics) and the prospect of another tonight (been there before, awful, foolishly booked again and obliged to honour it) but with fairly decent financial compensation, does anyone else feel sometimes they've become a bit of a money slut on certain nights when actually you'd far prefer a night in with a movie and a bottle of wine?

I like it when there's a big crowd and they're all up and dancing, but i'm not as put out as the rest of my band when we play a gig and we're just providing background music for the event.  Happy to be paid to play background music.  All goes towards new and exciting music equipment :)

• Like 3

For me its never about the money. Its always nice to be well remunerated but I prefer to drive back from a gig buzzing after a great night. I spend enough time on the day job, thinking only about the money as its a drudge. A great gig is what I play for, the money is a bonus. Pro players will see it differently.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

I can't for the life of me find the video on YouTube, but Pete Thorn posted saying if your gig has at least 2 of these 3 it's good:

• The money
  • The music
  • The hang (i.e. the craic)

Can't argue with that!

Great answer.

My weekly pub gig with my acoustic duo provides all 3 so happy days. My main playing job always has 2 and sometimes 3 on a good night which is good enough for me.

Money can be a safety net, meaning if the band think "this could be a stinky poo gig" whether it's the venue, the event, the night of the week... We price it so its worth us turning up. We got asked to do a Thursday night recently. Local, and on our usual practice night. We used it to test run some new songs, had some fairly engaged punters in for half of it, we played fosters poor probably due to a number of reasons, one being a mostly empty venue on a Thursday night, but we each got paid £40, whereas it usually costs just over £40 for all of us to book a rehearsal room and you don't get to watch whether people are in to the song or not. And on a gig you play the song together, you don't spend ages arguing over "it goes DA-DUM-DA-DAAAA! THREE F'ING TIMES, THAT'S HOW WE ALWAYS PLAYED IT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FOUR ON THE ORIGINAL!!" And other such productive things. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, mikel said:

For me its never about the money. Its always nice to be well remunerated but I prefer to drive back from a gig buzzing after a great night. I spend enough time on the day job, thinking only about the money as its a drudge. A great gig is what I play for, the money is a bonus. Pro players will see it differently.

My attitude too ⬆️

The way my covers band works, we put all of our earnings into a kitty, and then dip into it with everyone’s approval if we need to; for instance this year we upgraded our lights, last year we upgraded the PA. At the end of the year we split whatever’s left three ways, a nice Christmas bonus, if you will. 

In my acoustic duo we just split in on the night.

5 hours ago, machinehead said:

Lee Sklar says he gets paid for the travelling and being away from home and all the other downsides of touring, but he plays for free.

Now that's a great attitude.

Frank.

This is great way of looking at it. 

I don't like gigs where I'm not paid for loading, travelling, setting up and tearing down but I always enjoy playing. 

BTW I don't actually dislike all the stuff that goes hand in hand with gigging but I do prefer to be paid for it. 

🙂

9 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

After a particularly awful gig last night (hardly anyone there, long drive, rubbish acoustics) and the prospect of another tonight (been there before, awful, foolishly booked again and obliged to honour it) but with fairly decent financial compensation, does anyone else feel sometimes they've become a bit of a money slut on certain nights when actually you'd far prefer a night in with a movie and a bottle of wine?

I've played to an enthusiastic crowd of 3,000 and the next day played to10 uninterested people in a small bar. All this stuff goes with the teritory.

It depends on your life circumstance. Me, I have no interest in wine or a movie or even a date with a pretty woman over playing a gig. Not saying that won't change and probably sooner than later 

My point, we all will play crappy gigs. Money slut? Yeah , I get that a lot. 

" Blue ? Yeah if you throw him a hundred bucks hell do it"

But that 100 bucks might make a $400.00 weekend for me. 

I'm a low level bar band guy. I know some of you don't need the money but I do.

Blue

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikel said:

For me it'ss both.

Riding home after a good gig with $500.00 cash in my wallet for playing for 70 minutes. I really felt like I had made it.

Granted , that's happened once in the last 10 years. But it was a great ride home.

Blue 

Edited by Bluewine
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

My attitude too ⬆️

The way my covers band works, we put all of our earnings into a kitty, and then dip into it with everyone’s approval if we need to; for instance this year we upgraded our lights, last year we upgraded the PA. At the end of the year we split whatever’s left three ways, a nice Christmas bonus, if you will. 

In my acoustic duo we just split in on the night.

No band fund here and our band leader pays us in cash before every gig. No monkey business.

Blue

well, it was a crap gig, over an hours drive in the piddling worst downpour and wind and dark there and back, about 20 people in a huge social club. Weirdly however I probably played the best I ever have due to not giving a monkeys and we got paid £350 between the 3 of us so that was a nice little unexpected bonus so it just goes to show you never know how they'll turn out!

• Like 2