Why become a member? ×

Desert Island Albums?

Stub Mandrel

Someone just posted a link that made me think 'which albums have given me the greatest pleasure?' Not the one that are the best, or my favourites, or that impress, or are the most technical. More like a 'Desert  Island Discs' list but albums. This is my list of ten albums, in a rough chronological order of when I came across them.

A New World Record, ELO - I started collecting ELO singles and I love(d) everything before Discovery (which was a huge disappointment). NWR probably just edges Out of the Blue, but I listened to these over and over again reconstructing each track listening to just the bass, the keyboards etc. I can recognise Jeff Lynne's production at 100 paces...

Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd - was I the only angst-ridden teenager who found solace in this album's melancholy?

Live Rust, Neil Young - this and Rust Never Sleeps introduced me to a new type of music, raw, passionate with a huge range of emotion and delivery.

On Stage, Rainbow - already a Rainbow fan, this just captured such a huge sound and almost makes up for the fact that I never saw Rainbow live.

Woodstock - I have this on two cassette tapes, recorded off a reel to reel version of the album in a cottage in the Welsh countryside where we used to go just to be.

Liege and Lief, Fairport Convention - this is the album that opened my ears to British folk rock and made me realise you don't have to put your finger in your ear and sing through your nose. Ironically Ashley Hutchins' bass driving it along, as Dave Pegg is probably my greatest 'bass hero'.

Watt, 10 Years After - this was one of the albums, with SHHH, that I played along to over and again during the years when I was in bands.

10, Pearl Jam - I heard this, and Nevermind, and decided that perhaps music hadn't died after all.

13, Black Sabbath - I am a massive fan of Black Sabbath's music, especially the earlier stuff where there was more light and shade. Then 13 a came along and the whole album is like a puzzle box full of every little Ozzy-era signature while still feeling fresh and new, managaing (just) to steer clear of being a pastiche of earlier albums. It starts with the words 'Is This the End of the Beginning, or the Beginning of the End', and ends with a reflection of the very start of 'Black Sabbath' which I still find emotional.

The Machine Stops, Hawkwind - I 'found' this after hearing Synchronised Blue on Phil Alexander's programme. For me it just rekindled my passion for Hawkind's music and was on almost endless repeat for weeks.

• Like 1

One album only for me!
It's designed for this very purpose, and IP-guaranteed waterproof.
When you open it, in cavities in the cell foam, you'll find ten SSD-upgraded iPods, a charger, a wall outlet, a wall and an electricity factory.

I digress. You wanted to know what I'll bring.

OK, I'll bring
- Medieval and Renaissance,
- Baroque,
- Classical including "Rococo",
- Romantic,
- Post-Romantic - WW2,
- Contemporary classical  -  the so-called "avant-garde" stuff -  on 2 iPods,
- Pop, rock, alternative, world, unclassifiable and Dance music,
- Prog,
- Country & Western, including Country Rock and historical styles.

Gimme a few minutes for a complete song list.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

One album only for me!
It's designed for this very purpose, and IP-guaranteed waterproof.
When you open it, in cavities in the cell foam, you'll find ten SSD-upgraded iPods, a charger, a wall outlet, a wall and an electricity factory.

I digress. You wanted to know what I'll bring.

OK, I'll bring
- Medieval and Renaissance,
- Baroque,
- Classical including "Rococo",
- Romantic,
- Post-Romantic - WW2,
- Contemporary classical  -  the so-called "avant-garde" stuff -  on 2 iPods,
- Pop, rock, alternative, world, unclassifiable and Dance music,
- Prog,
- Country & Western, including Country Rock and historical styles.

Gimme a few minutes for a complete song list.

Greedy....

My 10 Desert Island Albums would be:

Rock Of Ages ~ The Band

Waiting For Columbus ~ Little Feat

That Hot Pink Blues Album ~ Keb Mo

Live In Bergen ~ Delbert McClinton

Roadwork ~ Edgar Winter's White Trash

One More Car, One More Rider ~ Eric Clapton

Sex Machine ~ James Brown

John Mayall Plays John Mayall ~ John Mayall

Absolute Monster Gentlemen ~ Jon Cleary

Road Tested ~ Bonnie Raitt

• Like 1

In no particular order...

Santana - Zebop!

Great production, crisp percussion and drums, and what a guitar.

SantanaZebopAlbum.jpg

Asia - Asia

Not a single bad track on that album

Asia_-_Asia_(1982)_front_cover.jpg

Boston - Boston & Don't look back as I found them at the same time

I fell in love with those twin guitars...

BostonBoston.jpg

220px-Boston_-_Don't_Look_Back.jpg

Thin Lizzy - Renegade

Not one of the albums people generally have as a 'classic' but it was the first one I listened to and left a big impression in me

220px-Thin_Lizzy_-_Renegade.jpg

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

Highschool would not have been the same without this.

220px-Blizzard_of_ozz.jpg

Alcatrazz - No parole

Never gets tiring

No-parole-from-rock-n-roll_large.jpg

Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Rising Force

First album by that crazy swede, and the best of everything he's done.

220px-YngwieJMalmsteen-RisingForce.jpg

Michael Schenker Group - Assault Attack

Oh yes.

Msgassault.jpg

Rolling Stones - Still Life

I just love that live album

220px-Still_Life_-_American_Concert_1981

Rainbow - Long Live Rock'n'Roll

Ufff

220px-Rainbow-longliverocknroll1.jpg

Black Sabbath - Mob Rules

Superb, start to finish

220px-SabbathMob.jpg

Dio - Holy Diver

A few filler tracks in this one, but the rest more than make up for it

220px-DioHolyDiver.jpg

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme back my bullets

An album that changed my group of friends and led to various musical endeavours as teenagers

GimmeBackMyBullets_LynyrdSkynyrdalbum.jp

Iron Maiden - Powerslave

No list is complete without this.

Iron_Maiden_-_Powerslave.jpg

how many is that? I think I'll stop now. :)

• Like 2

Remain In Light - Talking Heads

Fillmore East - Alman Bros

Tiger Walk - Robben Ford

Boston - Boston

Leftoverture - Kansas

Going For The One - Yes

Birth of the Cool - Miles Davis

Babylon by Bus - Bob Marley

Moonflower - Santana

Animals - Pink Floyd

Fitzcarraldo - The Frames

Edited by bearhart74
  • Like 2

My band did a similar thing on our Facebook page a while back, but there has been the odd tweak to the list since:

Arrival by ABBA - a world without ABBA is no world at all IMO.

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd - possibly my favourite album of all time and the album that changed my life. Flawless.

Moonmadness by Camel - my other all-time favourite, never tire of it. Also flawless.

Seconds Out by Genesis - probably my favourite live album. Supper’s Ready! ‘Nuff said.

Going For The One by Yes - I could easily have put about 4 Yes albums in here but I’ve tried to keep it to 1 album per band, and allow for changes of mood. This isn’t my favourite Yes album in its entirety, but there’s no way I could never hear Awaken again, my all-time favourite track.

Rumours by Fleetwood Mac - again, flawless.

Sandy Denny live at the BBC boxed set (or the 19cd collection, which I can’t afford!). Not strictly an album, so if I wasn’t allowed it I’d probably go for Fotheringay’s first, although What We Did On Our Holidays, Unhalfbricking, and Liege & Lief by Fairport Convention would run it close. At her best, Sandy is my all-time favourite singer and one of my favourite songwriters; never hearing her again would be horrendous. Anybody here ever see her live? If so, I’m so jealous beyond words. 😉

Never For Ever by Kate Bush - a cosy onesie of an album. Wonderful.

I Want Candy by Bow Wow Wow - absolutely love this band, and for some reasons these early tracks are generally my faves.

Blood Sugar Sex Magic by the RHCPs. - there are some Yes albums that would come before this, possibly some other Genesis too - and I was really torn as to whether or not to put Hawkwind’s Space Ritual here, but although I think Space Ritual is a more important album to me, I simply don’t listen to it much anymore. Maybe I should! In terms of mood, BSSM ticks a different box to the others. It also reminds me of the tail end of one of the happiest, most blue sky periods in my life. So for now, BSSM, but it could be Space Ritual tomorrow. Or possibly the sublime The Lion’s Roar by First Aid Kit the day after. 😉

EDIT: I think on reflection the last would have to be Space Ritual. I think I just need to rediscover it. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

In no particular order...

Santana - Zebop!

Great production, crisp percussion and drums, and what a guitar.

SantanaZebopAlbum.jpg

Asia - Asia

Not a single bad track on that album

Asia_-_Asia_(1982)_front_cover.jpg

Boston - Boston & Don't look back as I found them at the same time

I fell in love with those twin guitars...

BostonBoston.jpg

220px-Boston_-_Don't_Look_Back.jpg

Thin Lizzy - Renegade

Not one of the albums people generally have as a 'classic' but it was the first one I listened to and left a big impression in me

220px-Thin_Lizzy_-_Renegade.jpg

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

Highschool would not have been the same without this.

220px-Blizzard_of_ozz.jpg

Alcatrazz - No parole

Never gets tiring

No-parole-from-rock-n-roll_large.jpg

Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Rising Force

First album by that crazy swede, and the best of everything he's done.

220px-YngwieJMalmsteen-RisingForce.jpg

Michael Schenker Group - Assault Attack

Oh yes.

Msgassault.jpg

Rolling Stones - Still Life

I just love that live album

220px-Still_Life_-_American_Concert_1981

Rainbow - Long Live Rock'n'Roll

Ufff

220px-Rainbow-longliverocknroll1.jpg

Black Sabbath - Mob Rules

Superb, start to finish

220px-SabbathMob.jpg

Dio - Holy Diver

A few filler tracks in this one, but the rest more than make up for it

220px-DioHolyDiver.jpg

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme back my bullets

An album that changed my group of friends and led to various musical endeavours as teenagers

GimmeBackMyBullets_LynyrdSkynyrdalbum.jp

Iron Maiden - Powerslave

No list is complete without this.

Iron_Maiden_-_Powerslave.jpg

how many is that? I think I'll stop now. :)

Saw - and met - Blizzard of Ozz on their brief warm up tour prior to the release of the album. Shook Randy Rhoads’ hand, and Ozzy signed my copy of Sab’s Vol 4.. 😁

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Greedy....

I forgot to tell that my ship is loaded with 8,000,000 similar albums, so when it sinks, you just have to stir well, and they will be distributed over the whole planet - - just like people distribute their micro plastic these days. One each!
Hardly greedy. 😉

But OK, I'll play according to the rules later. 🙂

So - Peter Gabriel

Ah Via Musicom - Eric Johnson

Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin 

No Parlez - Paul Young

Regatta De Blanc - The Police

Moving Pictures - Rush

Continuum - John Mayer

The Blue Line - Robben Ford and the Blue Line 

Argus - Wishbone Ash

Graceland - Paul Simon

• Like 2

This list is only valuable today.
Tomorrow, I'll probably remember some other stuff.

Gentle Giant: The Power & The Glory

Gentle Giant: Free Hand

The Group: Omniphonic Music

XTC: probably Nonsuch

Yes: Close to the Edge

Yes: Relayer

Zappa: Läther

Zappa: Guitar

Zappa: Civilization Phaze III

An album with the most soaringly beautiful classical piano music, with some Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin...

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 4000 said:

My band did a similar thing on our Facebook page a while back, but there has been the odd tweak to the list since:

Arrival by ABBA - a world without ABBA is no world at all IMO.

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd - possibly my favourite album of all time and the album that changed my life. Flawless.

Moonmadness by Camel - my other all-time favourite, never tire of it. Also flawless.

Seconds Out by Genesis - probably my favourite live album. Supper’s Ready! ‘Nuff said.

Going For The One by Yes - I could easily have put about 4 Yes albums in here but I’ve tried to keep it to 1 album per band, and allow for changes of mood. This isn’t my favourite Yes album in its entirety, but there’s no way I could never hear Awaken again, my all-time favourite track.

Rumours by Fleetwood Mac - again, flawless.

Sandy Denny live at the BBC boxed set (or the 19cd collection, which I can’t afford!). Not strictly an album, so if I wasn’t allowed it I’d probably go for Fotheringay’s first, although What We Did On Our Holidays, Unhalfbricking, and Liege & Lief by Fairport Convention would run it close. At her best, Sandy is my all-time favourite singer and one of my favourite songwriters; never hearing her again would be horrendous. Anybody here ever see her live? If so, I’m so jealous beyond words. 😉

Never For Ever by Kate Bush - a cosy onesie of an album. Wonderful.

I Want Candy by Bow Wow Wow - absolutely love this band, and for some reasons these early tracks are generally my faves.

Blood Sugar Sex Magic by the RHCPs. - there are some Yes albums that would come before this, possibly some other Genesis too - and I was really torn as to whether or not to put Hawkwind’s Space Ritual here, but although I think Space Ritual is a more important album to me, I simply don’t listen to it much anymore. Maybe I should! In terms of mood, BSSM ticks a different box to the others. It also reminds me of the tail end of one of the happiest, most blue sky periods in my life. So for now, BSSM, but it could be Space Ritual tomorrow. Or possibly the sublime The Lion’s Roar by First Aid Kit the day after. 😉

EDIT: I think on reflection the last would have to be Space Ritual. I think I just need to rediscover it. 

Oh ABBA's Voulez Vous should have been in my list :D

And Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here!

I hope the desert island is big, because I'm bringing a lot of music with me! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Oh ABBA's Voulez Vous should have been in my list :D

And Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here!

I hope the desert island is big, because I'm bringing a lot of music with me! 

Wish you were here,  is my favourite pink floyd album, I saw them twice back in the day,  and it’s probably one of the best concerts I’ve ever seen 🙂

• Like 1

Nobody's reading this far down, so I'm going to make some up :)

Peavish Pete - I can't work out where you're coming from so I'm going to leave and come in the same way.
Good Gawd and the Gods - Custard+Custard = Medusa.
Bowel II - Bowel
Bowel - Bowel II
Kurstii & Fil - Kurstii & Fil's Nu-Klezmer Party Vol III
Philosophy of Whey - Market Garden
Sarah Waddington - Lowland Surprise
orchard of sins - trepandemonium

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Wish you were here,  is my favourite pink floyd album, I saw them twice back in the day,  and it’s probably one of the best concerts I’ve ever seen 🙂

For some reason completely beyond me I never got to see them live; odd as they’re one of my favourite bands and were actively gigging in my main gig-going years. A major oversight on my part and now a major regret. I did see David Gilmour at Euston station last year though. 😉

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Peavish Pete - I can't work out where you're coming from so I'm going to leave and come in the same way.
Good Gawd and the Gods - Custard+Custard = Medusa.
Bowel II - Bowel
Bowel - Bowel II
Kurstii & Fil - Kurstii & Fil's Nu-Klezmer Party Vol III
Philosophy of Whey - Market Garden
Sarah Waddington - Lowland Surprise
orchard of sins - trepandemonium

I'm glad I said my list is valuable only today, as tomorrow I might very well write this exact list!
Coincidence? Hardly! 😐

• Haha 1

Agree with a some of the previous posters... But to answer the OP, here we go:

Yes - Close to the Edge

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

Rush - Moving Pictures

Bjork - Vespertine

Return to Forever - Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy

Joni Mitchell - Hejira

Beatles - Sgt.Pepper's

Allan Holdsworth - Sand

King Crimson - Red

Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn

Pat Metheny - Imaginary Day

… and that's my list.

Edited by visog
  • Like 2

mine would be

rust in peace-megadeth

slowly we rot-obituary

ride the lightning-metallica

playing my game-lene marlin

heaven on earth-Belinda carlisle

the American way-sacred reich

abba gold-abba

appetite for destruction-guns and roses

somewhere in time-iron maiden

in search of sanity-onslaught

Edited by bobbytodd
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 4000 said:

Needs to be mentioned every so often. Luvverly stuff. I like Moonmadness and even Breathless a lot more than the one I'm commanded by other progsters to love: The Snow Goose.

6 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Needs to be mentioned every so often. Luvverly stuff. I like Moonmadness and even Breathless a lot more than the one I'm commanded by other progsters to love: The Snow Goose.

I like The Snow Goose a lot, but Moonmadness is another planet entirely; or should that be satellite?😉 Strangely it seems to have flown completely under most people’s radar, or maybe it’s just an acquired taste.

I finally saw Camel (current incarnation) play the entire album live last year, although they rocked up Another Night too much for my taste (not that I’m averse to rock mind, being a huge Sabbath and Manowar fan) and I don’t think the current band is as good as the classic line-up (particularly in the drums dept). For me the unexpected highlight of the gig was the non-Moonmadness track Ice. I’ve never been so moved by a piece of live music in my life. By the end I was literally sobbing. I dread to think what the people around me thought. Again, Andy Latimer is so, so underrated as a guitarist. He’s up there with a Gilmour for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4000 said:

Saw Fotheringay live in Newcastle around the early 70's.  Their first album will be on my list and yes, I agree with you about Sandy.  Sandy Denny and Karen Carpenter were two of the best voices ever!

Edited by LeftyP
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, bobbytodd said:

somewhere in time-iron maiden

in search of sanity-onslaught

Both underrated and excellent albums! 

But neither would make my list, I think;

Crime of the Century- Supertramp

Split Milk- The Jellyfish

Boys for Pele- Tori Amos

Time- ELO

English Settlement- XTC

Dynamite Boogie Monster Concert- Raging Slab

Dragline- PAW

Foxtrot- Genesis

Aqualung- Jethro Tull

Deicide- Deicide (for the bad days!)

In no particular order:

Abbey Road - The Beatles 

Gold - Ryan Adams

Pink Moon - Nick Drake

Southeastern - Jason Isbell

The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers

Vehicles and Animals - Athlete

London Calling - The Clash

August and Everything After - Counting Crows

Scoundrel Days - a-ha

Live at The Old Quarter - Townes Van Zandt

Streetlife Serenade - Billy Joel

Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen 

Luxury item: an acoustic guitar and a lifetimes supply of strings

Book: I’ll forgo the bible and the complete works of Shakespeare and take On The Road by Jack Kerouac instead 

Oh, and I’ll have Roy Plomley interview me instead of Lauren Laverne, thanks.

• Like 1