Why become a member? ×

Entwhistle v Tonerider

lownote

Just swapped the Entwhistle pups for Toneriders on my Revelation P bass unlined fretless-with-flats.  The Entwhistles are great sounding and have a punch without being hot or peppery.  The Toneriders are nice but softer, less punchy, and IMHO the note seems better defined?   They're also tricky to mount high enough to get within good reach of the strings  as they're shallower than the Entwhistles.  They're currently about 3/16 - 1/4 inch from string to pup head rather than the usual 1/8 inch.    Which of course may be why they're less oomphy.  To rectify this I'd have to fiddle about with increasing sponge depth and maybe even longer screws, and I'm not sure if it's worth it

Edit:  I should say I fitted this bass with a KiOgon loom, so this should be considered in the comparison.

Edited by lownote12

13 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

They're also tricky to mount high enough to get within good reach of the strings

Funnily enough, I've just put a set of Toneriders in my P and have noticed the exact same thing.

I do love the tone though, but I am using flats on this one so the softer tone works well. 

Edited by DoubleOhStephan

They are, and do you know what?  I think they sounded better further away from the strings.  But its probably all in my head.  Along with the frogs and cut snakes.

Having said that I'm happier I've added the extra squidge because at least the pups are pushing back against the screws properly.

Edited by lownote12
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

They are, and do you know what?  I think they sounded better further away from the strings.  But its probably all in my head.  Along with the frogs and cut snakes.

Haha that's just typical isn't it!? 

11 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Having said that I'm happier I've added the extra squidge because at least the pups are pushing back against the screws properly.

I get it, not sure if I'll follow suit though, needs a bit of mulling. Tbh, I don't really rest on the pickups when I play (I've got a little thumb rest in the bridge position), so I probably won't bother, especially as it can affect the tone. 

The pickups are (Alan) Entwistle. Not Entwhistle.

I'm not trying to be pedantic but it reminds me that there was an 'amusing' debate on TalkBass about whether (John) Entwhistle had really in some way 'authorised' these pickups. I think someone put them right in the end but...you know...Americans 🙃

On 27/09/2019 at 13:25, hooky_lowdown said:

Toneriders v Wilkinson alnico would be a better comparison as both are vintage voiced. The Entwistle pups I would say are more modern sounding.

All three imho are very decent pups for little money. 👍

Yeah, Toneriders and Wilkinsons are pretty similar, both very good pickups and very close in sound to the Fender Custom Shop 62 imo.